• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are scientists any closer

Clara Tea

Are scientists any closer to figuring out, since Darwin's theory was expounded, what is that proposed unknown common ancestor of gorillas, chimpanzees and humans? With all those bones and dna findings, still no certain common ancestor?

We can't prove God, nor even see his miracles, usually. One miracle was the prediction of the war in Babylon, Iraq, and consequent COVID (Revelation 15....seven plagues).

But we can see miracles of Dr. Strange, and the way he bends time (link above). It blurs the distinction between fantasy and reality, making us wonder if other sci fi writers existed thousands of years ago and wrote of religion (as fantasies, now taken as realities).

Most bones of ancient man and ancient primates have been eaten away by acid soils, leaving few traces of their existence. But, sufficient traces exist to prove (with DNA) that mankind is related to apes.

Should we believe in DNA because it is sufficiently strong to stand up in court as evidence? Should we instead believe in God, and, if so, should we believe in evolution or not? Certainly two recent popes have admitted that DNA and evolution are correct (they insist with God's guidance). Should we believe in Dr. Strange and Marvel Comics, because we can see, in movie theaters, the effects of their magic? Should we wonder if ancient religions were merely ancient man's way of telling sci fi stories?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Are scientists any closer to figuring out, since Darwin's theory was expounded, what is that proposed unknown common ancestor of gorillas, chimpanzees and humans? With all those bones and dna findings, still no certain common ancestor?
It is an absolute statistical certainty that Queen Elizabeth the II of England and Evangelicalhumanist of Canada share a common ancestor within the last 2000 years (see below). Yet, neither her Majesty nor I nor anybody living has any idea who that ancestor (or much more likely those ancestors) were. Why not? Simple -- insufficient record keeping. Now, apply that to the number of creatures that die leave a fossil record (we have hundreds of fossils for the qunitillions of critters that died), and you can see how sloppy record-keeping can lose track of simple stuff.

------------------------------------------------
New research by Peter Ralph of USC Dornsife has confirmed that everyone on Earth is related to everyone else on the planet. So the Trojan Family is not just a metaphor. Turns out, we're also linked by genetics more closely than previously thought.

The assistant professor of computational biology's background in math and statistics enables him to develop methods and models and perform data analysis on genomic data, which he applies to learn about evolution and demography.

His latest research, which he conducted with Graham Coop, a geneticist at University of California, Davis—his former postdoctoral advisor—provided DNA-based evidence to confirm the mathematical theory that everyone on Earth is related.

"The fact that everyone has two parents means that the number of ancestors for each individual doubles every generation," Ralph said. "By using basic mathematics, we can calculate that ten generations ago each individual had a thousand ancestors, and 20 generations ago they had a million and so on.

"But when we get to 40 generations ago, in the time of Charlemagne, we arrive at a trillion ancestors and that is a problem because we now have more ancestors than there were people. Thus one can deduce that a lot of those ancestors must be the same person."

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Even more simple simplistic is that Kangaroos made to Australia after leaving the ark.
Even more simple simplistic is that Pandas made it to China after leaving the ark.
Even more simple simplistic is that Polar Bears made it to the Arctic after leaving the ark.

Do any Creationists know why these different "kinds" knew where to go?

If Creationism is correct, Creationists should be able to answer these questions. If Creationists cannot answer these basic questions, Creationism must be false.
Creationists tend to answer questions they can not answer with "GodDidIt".

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Common ancestry is certain. But we do not yet know if we have a fossil of the creature - or one of them- in question, though there are some candidates. That's not really a surprise, when you consider (i) how rare it is for a skeleton to become fossilised, and then (ii) how rare it is for such a fossil to be exposed at the earth's surface again and then (iii) how rare it is for such a re-exposed fossil to be found, and then (iv) how rare it is for it to come into the hands of someone who recognises its importance to science.
Shhh! Big numbers will scare some people away.

It often seems to me that there must be people who, having completed a 5,000 piece jigsaw puzzle and discovering that there's one tiny piece missing, will never know what that puzzle was a picture of. :p

ecco

Veteran Member
Btw, scientists keep changing what they think reality is.

Yeah. They do keep coming up with different stuff. Creationists, on the other hand, do not have that problem.
All Creationists agree that a Biblical Day is 24 hours.
All Creationists agree that a Biblical Day may be millions, even billions, of years.
All Creationists agree that each Biblical Day immediately follows the previous Biblical Day.
All Creationists agree that there were long (millions of years) intervals between Biblical Days.

All Creationists agree on ...not very much. So, if there is that much disparity in Creationism, it must be false.

King Phenomenon

I never have been able to understand why so many theists think that evolution kills their all powerful deity.
I think it’s Because they believe in last Thursdayism or something of the sort and to discount evolution provides relief to get that belief off their chest without much offense to anyone.

ie. If one believes the world started in 1979 they’re basically saying that all the Bad events that happened prior are just memories made by God. This can be offensive and furthermore they don’t want to be looked like as mentally ill.

Also Beliefs of this nature can never be proved So It’s probably healthy they remain private. Who knows I could be wrong. Maybe nobody believes this. Idk
I do think one who possibly believes such things should probably Just say I accept evolution and move on. no big deal really.
Also I’m Not saying this is what the OP believes

Irate State

Äkta människor
A simple answer will do. Such as, "scientists haven't figured what The Unknown Common Ancestor is to bonobos, chimpanzees, gorillas and humans." And let me help you out here: you might follow that up with, "But undoubtedly they will, eventually." See? You have faith in the theoretical lines of ascent or descent of those branches by force of nature. Of course, fish still stay fish, bonobos still stay bonobos. It's been nice seeing all the responses, bearing out what some scientists have said about expressing disbelief in my Darwin's theory. Thanks to all those.

Wait, you are actually thinking you've singlehandedly disproven evolution because you don't like the answers given to you about evolutionary biology in a religious forum?
Must be nice.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
You know, no one worth listening to ever said science was the end all be all of authoritative word set in stone. It's just people trying to figure out how things work. It really is just that simple.

Now, over time what works and what doesn't is tested, and the stuff that works is fine tuned. Medicine now, vs. 100 years ago is totally different and vastly superior, just like medicine 100 years ago vs. 500 years ago was totally different and vastly superior.

It's a system of self correction as we learn more about the way the world works. Sometimes it's wrong, and as such, we adjust when we are mistaken about things.

Not sure why there's so much contention over evolution... Evolution doesn't mean a god can't exist. o_O
Going back to science for a moment, when Leewunhoek discovered microbes, that was a fantastic discovery. It proved that things we wouldn't ordinarily see exist. It doesn't prove evolution.

YoursTrue

Even more simple simplistic is that Kangaroos made to Australia after leaving the ark.
Even more simple simplistic is that Pandas made it to China after leaving the ark.
Even more simple simplistic is that Polar Bears made it to the Arctic after leaving the ark.

Do any Creationists know why these different "kinds" knew where to go?

If Creationism is correct, Creationists should be able to answer these questions. If Creationists cannot answer these basic questions, Creationism must be false.
For starters, I will say that genetics certainly play a part in differentiation. But...chimpanzees remain chimpanzees and kangaroos, however they came about, are kangaroos.

YoursTrue

Wait, you are actually thinking you've singlehandedly disproven evolution because you don't like the answers given to you about evolutionary biology in a religious forum?
Must be nice.
No. But I am trying to understand why some think or believe the theory of evolution is scientifically, proveably, true.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Going back to science for a moment, when Leewunhoek discovered microbes, that was a fantastic discovery. It proved that things we wouldn't ordinarily see exist. It doesn't prove evolution.

Ok. What does the discovery of microbes have to do with evolution? Why would the discovery of microbes prove evolution exists? The fossil records, biological mechanisms, and the observance of speciation in animals is what led to evolution's discovery.

Not only that, but modern biological discoveries have only served to confirm what we have found in evolution. With DNA, we can now see how things are related as such. If all the puzzle pieces fit, it seems like it's pretty clear to me.

Irate State

Äkta människor
No. But I am trying to understand why some think or believe the theory of evolution is scientifically, proveably, true.

On a religious forum? Try Google scholar you'd be amazed. I'm sure you can find papers borh about science philosophy and others on the specific subject of Evidence of common descent and Chromosome 2.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Maybe you could expound on your ideas more. What indication is there in genesis for the sudden change of man? How does this relate to archaeology and the fossil records?
on Day Six....Man was species
no names, no garden, no law
with the ability to dominate all things around him

all fine and good until that ability was turned on his fellowman

So.....Chapter Two
a chosen specimen and manipulation to alter the course and spirit of Man

Man needs to be that creature curious
even as death is the pending event

Man has become that creature

ans the change cannot be handed down by evolution

something happened in the garden

and we humans are the evidence that something did happen

too bad we won't find that rib.....Eve was made from

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
on Day Six....Man was species
no names, no garden, no law
with the ability to dominate all things around him

all fine and good until that ability was turned on his fellowman

So.....Chapter Two
a chosen specimen and manipulation to alter the course and spirit of Man

Man needs to be that creature curious
even as death is the pending event

Man has become that creature

ans the change cannot be handed down by evolution

something happened in the garden

and we humans are the evidence that something did happen

too bad we won't find that rib.....Eve was made from

I see. My mom always did used to say "Doubt your doubts."

I find it interesting that curiosity is equated with undesirable behavior. "Knowledge of good and evil" is the ultimate downfall of man. My personal experience has been the opposite... In accepting things unquestioningly, one stagnates. Stagnation in the face of a changing world is where one finds themselves at a loss, IMO.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
"Knowledge of good and evil" is the ultimate downfall of man.
you could metaphor this

the acquisition was like a poison to cure that which kills the spirit

without the ability to ponder good and evil
the spirit returns to the dust and fails to continue

nPeace

Veteran Member
@YoursTrue I just saw this comment, and was not surprised..
exchemist said:
So I have no doubt there will continue to be scope for stupid fundamentalist preachers to ridicule the science. Ridiculing something you haven't taken the trouble to understand is one of the prime hallmarks of an idiot.
Mention the words Darwin, scientists, theory, etc., and you'll get a large trail of ants coming out the woodwork.
Better get some Diatomaceous Earth. :D

Idiot - a stupid person ; a person of low intelligence ; stupid - having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.

How does one guage intelligence? Is it based on how many degrees, PhDs etc. one has, or that one has any at all?
We know that's not the case.
Common sense - good sense and sound judgment in practical matters.
Intelligence - the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.

Because one believes something, it doesn't mean it is better than another belief. Both beliefs may be based on sound judgment, but we don't replace commonsense for the sake of beliefs.

It's true some have their reasons for believing that common ancestry is certain... perhaps making inferences from DNA Sequencing, but then it's not based on fossils, since they acknowledge that they cannot be sure of any fossils that would confirm the common ancestor of primates, and they do have faith in the assumptions that go with their beliefs.

Based on (i) how rare it is for a skeleton to become fossilised, and then (ii) how rare it is for such a fossil to be exposed at the earth's surface again and then (iii) how rare it is for such a re-exposed fossil to be found, and then (iv) how rare it is for it to come into the hands of someone who recognises its importance to science, it is surprising that people are using these charts to claim an evolutionary history.

toskulls2.jpg

This record apparently is exempt from the rare findings.
Maybe because they lived around the same period.

Given that these hypotheses are not complete, and subject to change, as you mentioned - God knows they are inaccurate, it's no surprise to me the reaction I see on this tread, to your question.
Like... Don't touch my evolution belief. Grrrr.
angry-dog-holding-bone-vector-id1018752220

Since you haven't gotten an answer to your question, I'll answer it for you, as you are likely to just keep getting attacked - you might as well have jumped into piranha infested waters. :D

Here are a number of responses from some intelligent people. Us "idiots" will be quiet. :D ...for a while.
Common descent is a concept in evolutionary biology applicable when one species is the ancestor of two or more species later in time.

Convergent evolution
If early organisms had been driven by the same environmental conditions to evolve similar biochemistry convergently, they might independently have acquired similar genetic sequences.

...some researchers have sought to develop formal statistical arguments to test the hypothesis of [common ancestry].
There are at least two ways in which sequence similarity can mislead formal statistical tests and overstate the strength of evidence in favor of [common ancestry].

So, don't mind what idiots say, Common ancestry is a hypothesis. No hypothesis is certain. As you rightly said, scientists use the term "might" for a reason. Might, or might not. Uncertain.
So 150 years later, this hypothesis has been frozen.

There are other uncertainties, in the evolution history, and controversies, and debates... not only in the areas mentioned here - Embracing Uncertainty in Reconstructing Early Animal Evolution
I'm sure you are not fooled by the puffer fish antics here on RF. :)
CavernousCreativeCobra-size_restricted.gif

We know. We know.
:rolleyes:

“Science works on the frontier between knowledge and ignorance. We're not afraid to admit what we don't know. There's no shame in that. The only shame is to pretend that we have all the answers.”

—Neil deGrasse Tyson, Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

So in short. The answer. 150 years later, they still have to tackle a number of problems, including perhaps primarily genome sequencing.
On universal common ancestry, sequence similarity, and phylogenetic structure: the sins of P-values and the virtues of Bayesian evidence

The universal common ancestry (UCA) of all known life is a fundamental component of modern evolutionary theory, supported by a wide range of qualitative molecular evidence. Nevertheless, recently both the status and nature of UCA has been questioned.
Conclusions
For K&W's artificial protein data, sequence similarity is the predominant factor influencing the preference for common ancestry. In contrast, for the real proteins, model selection tests show that phylogenetic structure is much more important than sequence similarity. Hence, the model selection tests demonstrate that real universally conserved proteins are homologous, a conclusion based primarily on the specific nested patterns of correlations induced in genetically related protein sequences.

... and they still don't know.... and based on the fact that these hypotheses cannot be verified by any observation, they will never know.... Unless bones start talking. Maybe they need the magic man in the sky after all. ;)

Last edited:

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
you could metaphor this

the acquisition was like a poison to cure that which kills the spirit

without the ability to ponder good and evil
the spirit returns to the dust and fails to continue

Aye, with a lack of ambition comes a meaningless existence. That's not really "life" at that point, is it?