• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are scientists any closer

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Are scientists any closer to figuring out, since Darwin's theory was expounded, what is that proposed unknown common ancestor of gorillas, chimpanzees and humans? With all those bones and dna findings, still no certain common ancestor?

3cefc8408cb375b63ef1427672e3fe1e.jpg

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Why the demand to find a particular ancestor? It is not needed for the theory.

Tell me if there were no photographs of your father's fathers' father would that mean the he never existed? There is more evidence than mere photographs and that is all that a fossil species is essentially. It is merely a photograph of an ancestor or near relative of an existing species. We do not need photographs of all of our ancestors to understand our heritage.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
That's got to be the most energetic orangutan I've ever seen. Which reminds me... of a TV series about life at a British zoo. One of the male orangutans got hold of a clothing catalogue (I can't remember how or why). Anyhoo it became a favoured possession of his; he sat and "read" it avidly day after day. Eventually the keepers noticed that he was particularly keen on a certain section of the catalogue - the ladies lingerie pages. :p

tas8831

Are scientists any closer to figuring out, since Darwin's theory was expounded, what is that proposed unknown common ancestor of gorillas, chimpanzees and humans? With all those bones and dna findings, still no certain common ancestor?
Are creation scientists any closer to figuring out who my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather on my mother's side was, and collecting his bones to show me?

I mean, he would have lived only a few hundred years ago so they should have done this by now.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Timeline evidently keeps changing. Furthermore, what's the UCA (unknown common ancestor) that burgeoned from bonobos, chimpanzees, or gorillas to ...people? Still in the dark, scientists are.
Yes, new evidence results in tweaking the timeline. But guess what? If you look at the various timelines they keep getting more and more accurate and more and more precise. That is the nature of science. As we learn more and more our picture gets more and more accurate. It is never written in stone. Unlike the Bible there is a corrective mechanism in the sciences that allows us to improve our understanding of the world. The Bible would have you still treating leprosy with the blood of a freshly killed dove.

tas8831

Timeline evidently keeps changing. Furthermore, what's the UCA (unknown common ancestor) that burgeoned from bonobos, chimpanzees, or gorillas to ...people? Still in the dark, scientists are.
Timeline evidently keeps changing. Furthermore, what's the UCA (unknown common ancestor) that burgeoned from Ashkenazi Jews, Bantu, or Saxons to ...Jennifer Aniston? Still in the dark, creation scientists are.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Yes, of course they have ... google "Evolutionary tree of life" and follow it backwards
A simple answer will do. Such as, "scientists haven't figured what The Unknown Common Ancestor is to bonobos, chimpanzees, gorillas and humans." And let me help you out here: you might follow that up with, "But undoubtedly they will, eventually." See? You have faith in the theoretical lines of ascent or descent of those branches by force of nature. Of course, fish still stay fish, bonobos still stay bonobos. It's been nice seeing all the responses, bearing out what some scientists have said about expressing disbelief in my Darwin's theory. Thanks to all those.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
A simple answer will do. Such as, "scientists haven't figured what The Unknown Common Ancestor is to bonobos, chimpanzees, gorillas and humans." And let me help you out here: you might follow that up with, "But undoubtedly they will, eventually." See? You have faith in the theoretical lines of ascent or descent of those branches by force of nature. Of course, fish still stay fish, bonobos still stay bonobos. It's been nice seeing all the responses, bearing out what some scientists have said about expressing disbelief in my Darwin's theory. Thanks to all those.
The odds of finding that fossil ancestor appear to be rather small. Again, tropical forests are very poor environments for preserving fossils. Why the fascination with that particular ancestor? We can find older transitional forms. Just because you do not have a picture of your greatgrandfather does not mean that he never existed.

tas8831

Right. So you're saying the common ancestor is??? Dirt? Clay? Bacteria? Help out here, please, in a few words. Thanks. Don't be shy, say what you think about the now known as you indicate, or perhaps unknown common ancestor between specifically gorillas and humans...you know, what scientists have found out.
You've been here for more than 3 years and you are still asking questions that a 5th grader might ask.

Question - are you just trolling, or are you disingenuous, or are you actually a 5th grader?

Altfish

Veteran Member
You no listen!

Read my replies and stop putting words in my mouth.
Look ... evolution happens, get over it.

You don't understand it, I get that.
But stop asking simple questions when you refuse to do some research first.

YoursTrue

Timeline evidently keeps changing. Furthermore, what's the UCA (unknown common ancestor) that burgeoned from Ashkenazi Jews, Bantu, or Saxons to ...Jennifer Aniston? Still in the dark, creation scientists are.
So you think procreative line to Ms. Aniston is evolution of some common ancestor of bonobos, and chimps. Ok, thanks for clarifying your belief.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
You've been here for more than 3 years and you are still asking questions that a 5th grader might ask.

Question - are you just trolling, or are you disingenuous, or are you actually a 5th grader?
Evidence points to their being a third plus year Fifth Grader.
And one who is extremely proud of their tenure as such.

YoursTrue

Still no answer. Just putdowns from you and people like you. Btw, scientists keep changing what they think reality is. Brains smarter, bigger, maybe yes, maybe no.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Still no answer. Just putdowns from you and people like you. Btw, scientists keep changing what they think reality is. Brains smarter, bigger, maybe yes, maybe no.
Seeing as you have flat out ignored at least seven answers to your OP...
And that is in this thread alone...

YoursTrue

You no listen!

Read my replies and stop putting words in my mouth.
Look ... evolution happens, get over it.

You don't understand it, I get that.
But stop asking simple questions when you refuse to do some research first.
I'm going by what scientists say. Meantime, such an easy answer according to you that you say I don't do research (I have). So if scientists don't agree, change their opinions, why should I agree with you? Are you right? Are they right? Can't you explain your beliefs?

Bear Wild

The only one in the dark it seems is you. Your article sensationalized the actual research which is in line with previous research in the field. All you need to do is go to the original article and look at their sources and you will find there has never been any great discrepancy, only continued understanding with increasing information.