• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are religious people doing it wrong?

GoodbyeDave

The question that come to me this morning was," Are religious people doing it all wrong" ? What does this mean? It means (to me) maybe we're trying too hard to get others to follow what we believe in our self?
Not all religious people: you don't find us polytheists trying to convert people. And not only religious people — the forum is full of atheists trying to convert others.

People need to see things for themselves and also they will not change unless they feel the need to. On social media, when some-one is uneasy with their church, I don't tell them to abandon Christianity — I suggest one they might feel happier in.

Riders

The question that come to me this morning was," Are religious people doing it all wrong" ? What does this mean? It means (to me) maybe we're trying too hard to get others to follow what we believe in our self? What if we do not portray what we want others to see, in the right way? Maybe we should only focus on our own development and not worry so much about others? Instead of telling them what they should do or believe, maybe it would be better to only explain the religion/cultivation path we follow to them, and let them self decide if it is something for them or not. And if they ask question, we could explain what we understand, but not in the same line say, that we are right, and they are wrong. Would not that make our self wrong too?

I have noticed that some Christians have dropped out of they're church though they are still Christian. This is why the church's attendance has gone down though I do not believe the Christian belief has gone down. I asked the last man I met for a book group if he were religious. He said he was tired of all the man-made rules in churches and quit church.
it is not the first time I have heard this, I have heard this coming from many Christians mouths.

I think the denominational differences with different beliefs and dos and don'ts and even nondenominational churches dos and don'ts people have grown tired of following rules.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I have noticed that some Christians have dropped out of they're church though they are still Christian. This is why the church's attendance has gone down though I do not believe the Christian belief has gone down. I asked the last man I met for a book group if he were religious. He said he was tired of all the man-made rules in churches and quit church.
it is not the first time I have heard this, I have heard this coming from many Christians mouths.

I think the denominational differences with different beliefs and dos and don'ts and even nondenominational churches dos and don'ts people have grown tired of following rules.
So the way you see it is that people are not less religious but more tired of the institution of Churches and other religious houses?

MJ Bailey

Honestly speaking, is it your job to assure others to believe as you do? Is it not a relevant question for yourselves to believe in what you believe? The way I see it, apparently every religion and person wants to assure they have the right to justify everything (regardless of right and wrong) as long as it suits themselves. Narcissi is the ruling factor. Arguments?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Honestly speaking, is it your job to assure others to believe as you do? Is it not a relevant question for yourselves to believe in what you believe? The way I see it, apparently every religion and person wants to assure they have the right to justify everything (regardless of right and wrong) as long as it suits themselves. Narcissi is the ruling factor. Arguments?
The OP actually say the opposite of what you said now. It is important no matter what path/religion/cultivation we are doing that we let others have a different understanding than our self. I can not ask others to believe or think the way i do, because we are different from the beginning. And this is also why there are so many religion/spiritual paths to choose from, because everyone can find what they see as the truth they understand and can follow.

dfnj

The question that come to me this morning was," Are religious people doing it all wrong" ? What does this mean? It means (to me) maybe we're trying too hard to get others to follow what we believe in our self? What if we do not portray what we want others to see, in the right way? Maybe we should only focus on our own development and not worry so much about others? Instead of telling them what they should do or believe, maybe it would be better to only explain the religion/cultivation path we follow to them, and let them self decide if it is something for them or not. And if they ask question, we could explain what we understand, but not in the same line say, that we are right, and they are wrong. Would not that make our self wrong too?

It's even worse than what you describe. Many actions people do under the belief they are helping actually have the opposite affect.

It's always best to lead by example.

I'm gonna make a change,
For once I'm my life
It's gonna feel real good,
Gonna make a difference
Gonna make it right
As I, turn up the collar on
My favorite winter coat
This wind is blowing my mind
I see the kids in the streets,
With not enough to eat
Who am I to be blind?
Pretending not to see their needs
A summer disregard, a broken bottle top
And a one man soul
They follow each other on the wind ya' know
'Cause they got nowhere to go
That's why I want you to know
I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you want to make the world a better place
(If you want to make the world a better place)
Take a look at yourself, and then make a change
(Take a look at yourself, and then make a change)
(Na na na, na na na, na na, na nah)
I've been a victim of a selfish kind of love
It's time that I realize
That there are some with no home, not a nickel to loan
Could it be really me, pretending that they're not alone?
A willow deeply scarred, somebody's broken heart
And a washed-out dream
(Washed-out dream)
They follow the pattern of the wind ya' see
'Cause they got no place to be
That's why I'm starting with me
(Starting with me!)
(Ooh!)
(Ooh!)
Take a look at yourself, and then make a change
(Take a look at yourself, and then make a change)
(Ooh!)
(Change his ways, ooh!)
Take a look at yourself and then make that
(Take a look at yourself and then make that)
Change!
(Man in the mirror, oh yeah!)
(Better change!)
No message could have been any clearer
You can't close your, your mind!
(Then you close your, mind!)
That man, that man, that man, that man
With the man in the mirror
(Man in the mirror, oh yeah!)
That man, that man, that man,
(Better change!)
You know, that man
No message could have been any clearer
Take a look at yourself and then make the change
(Take a look at yourself and then make the change)
Hoo! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo!
Na na na, na na na, na na, na nah
(Ooh)
Oh no, no no
I'm gonna make a change
It's gonna feel real good!
Come on!
(Change)
Just lift yourself
You know
You've got to stop it,
Yourself!
(Yeah! Make that change!)
I've got to make that change, today!
Hoo!
(Man in the mirror)
You got to
You got to not let yourself
Brother
Hoo!
You know I've got to get
That man, that man
You've got to
You've got to move! Come on!
Come on!
You got to
Stand up! Stand up! Stand up!
(Yeah! Make that change)
Stand up and lift yourself, now!
(Man in the mirror)
Hoo! Hoo! Hoo!
Aw!
Gonna make that change
Come on!
You know it!
You know it!
You know it!
You know it
(Change)
Make that change.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The general notion of meddling in the affairs of others is not specific to religion, nor is the general notion of minding one's own affairs. There are benefits and drawbacks to any approach one might take to these issues, depending on one's goals and values. To my mind, the "right" path is the one which is in keeping with your goals and values, irrespective of how others assess it. Living in accord with who you are is something I find important, as generally speaking you can live with yourself if you do that and not so much when you don't. When the path you walk becomes maladaptive, then you change it as needed.

MNoBody

walk by faith and not by sight they said, follow your heart, etc.
and when young i heard tell that folks ought not believe every "spirit"
for many deceitful "spirits" have been sent into the world
[or, are already out and about, being deceitful and such]
so, it would be prudent to be observant....given such circumstance.
yet...who does a questing soul begin to look for some relevant info when they begin???
typically the religious who have always presented the role of self appointed guides to nirvana or whatever brand of soap they peddle....their special religious dopium..with terms and conditions of course
yet which of these has heart and soul in that sense that is invisible and dynamic?
when all of humanities religions present the same unified front of static minded obtuseness?

dfnj

Are religious people doing it wrong?

There's nothing wrong with the missionary position on religion. Some people just approach the it from a different perspective. But as far as I can tell the result of the experience is the same.

I'm not sure I agree with your statement we should only focus on ourselves. I think life is much more satisfying when you are sharing your communion with God with another person.

I agree you should not tell or force someone into doing something. It's much better when someone else chooses to participate voluntarily or consensually.

dfnj

I have always felt that missionary spiritual ambition is suspect.
Those with an inclination to introspection will introspect.
That cannot be forced by obligation, coercion or the slippery soliloquies of spiritual salesmen.

You answered it the exact same way I did!

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maybe we should only focus on our own development and not worry so much about others?

That is the most important thing to me.

I see in that process, one can share what works and when we do, we may find that the same keys to personal change, are shared by many people.

Regards Tony

dfnj

Something my Grandmother lived by: "Spread the word of God far and wide. Use words only if you have to."

How many children did your grandmother have?

My grandmother used to say to me in an Edith Bunker like voice, "If you don't have anything nice to say shut your God dam mouth!"

MNoBody

misc-quote-waste-time-marcus-aurelius.jpg
I thought this was a useful meme