• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Religious Explanations Always Facile?

As an atheist, what do you think is more evidenced: the Sun God, or the eternally existing world?

• the former

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • the latter

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • both are equally unsibstanciated

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Much easier to say "no, when isn't there, i put it in to massage my ego" rather than all the irrelevant fluff that does the same thing. It gets boring.

I have just been checking through genesis 1 as written in several bibles, most are the same or similar to the KJV but this one, the AMP caught my attention

1 In the beginning God (Elohim) created [by forming from nothing] the heavens and the earth

Interesting eh?

And the Wycliffe

1 In the beginning God made of nought heaven and earth
(In the beginning God made out of nothing the heavens and the earth)
The Amplified was created in the late 50s. The Wycliffe long ago. There has been much in the field of scholarship since the Wycliffe, and more ancient source material has been unearthed. The Amplified, a project of Zondervan, is biased and not considered a real good translation. The NRSV, however, is.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The Amplified was created in the late 50s. The Wycliffe long ago. There has been much in the field of scholarship since the Wycliffe, and more ancient source material has been unearthed. The Amplified, a project of Zondervan, is biased and not considered a real good translation. The NRSV, however, is.

Well that deals with about 5% of the bibles

thomas t

non-denominational Christian
It's about the mindset of certain Christian groups who make it a false choice between accepting God, or accepting science.

My whole point in wishing this discussion with you, without all the defensiveness, is about how that is unnecessary.
Hi Windwalker,

Now thank you for your testimony.

I think this was a very thoughtful reply, and it serves for understanding how ex-Christians think.

The resurrection of Christ is fundamental to the Christian faith.

Yet, no natural scientist can confirm resurrections. If you can't see a conflict between the resurrection story and science... I don't understand.

So what do you mean by “unnecessary”, if you say it’s unnecessary to believe things that cannot be confirmed by modern science in order for a Christian to be a Christian – it’s not the biblical stance, as I see it.

In my opinion, you cannot be called a Christian if you still believe that Jesus is dead, this is at least my interpretation of Romans 10:10 and John 3:16. You have to believe the "hogwash" of the resurrection.

If you and the other former Christians in that atheist forum you speak of came to disbelieve Christ because they cannot believe in the miracle of the resurrection…. I have nothing to say. As sad as it may sound.

But if they (and you) draw a line between the resurrection and, say, the Adam and Eve story… they still can be saved according to the corresponding passages. If you say the resurrection is valid and Jesus Christ is Lord... however all of the rest about the biblical miracles is hogwash according to you... then I simply don't understand you, but we are still in the same boat.

They and you in this case even can belong to the so-called body of Christ which is the world-wide community of believers. Baptism is needed there as explained by Paul in Romans. And if they don’t commit a certain class of sins… they even can belong to the Kingdom of God and enter heavenly Jerusalem, see end of the Book of Revelation.

In short, they are brothers and sisters.

However, from my experience, churches that do not believe in the inerrancy of scriptures… tend to have problems in their marriages. Since they say there are reasons to divorce for marital problems (also speaking from own experience).

This can be really hurtful. Have you ever spoken to a (former) wife of a Pastor that was kicked by her former husband just for marital problems – while her husband in turn had been invited to preach in front of the congregation about the love of Jesus… even after the breakup of his marriage?

Do you know the pain in her soul?

My personal stance: Christians may believe science more than the Bible – if they still stick to the resurrection, it’s ok. However, it can be extremely hurtful in their lives.

Thank you for being frank and open about your past, I would be eager to learn more.

Clara Tea

expansion of space-time.
The big bang. The big bang does not, in any way, state that the universe had a beginning. Space-time expansion had a beginning. The universe started to expand 13.7/8 billion years ago.

We don't know if prior to that expansion, at T = 0, the (unexpanded) "universe" appeared or if it was already there.
It could very well be that the big bang was merely a change in state of the already existing universe.

So when and how and by whom was it established that the multi-verse actually exists?
There are ideas in physics that predict a multi-verse, sure... Like inflation, string theory or the "many worlds" interpretation of quantum physics. But these things are hardly facts or well-established.

But let's pretend that we know one of these is factually correct.

Then the same point remains: an eternal multiverse is more likely then an eternal god, because then we would know for a fact that the multi-verse actually exists.

Meanwhile, gods can't even be distinguished from non-existing things and sheer fantasy.

Having studied special relativity, I was well versed in the concept of space-time. So, when I read about the expansion of the universe, I had assumed, as you did, that it was an expansion of space-time. It is not thought to be an expansion of time at all.....just an expansion of the metric of space. This comes from an analysis of Friedman's Equation (which comes from general relativity).

When you say that the universe didn't have a beginning, you mean that there is no point at which it expands, but, rather, everything expands away from everything else...except, of course, things that locally are attracted to each other by gravity (which overwhelms the expansion of the universe in that particular spot).

Though we cannot see the far edge of the universe, because the metric of space is traveling away from us faster than the speed of light (due to the acceleration of the expansion of the universe), we can calculate how old the universe is based on Friedman's Equation (and we get 13.8 billion years). In this calculation, we have to be careful to find a part of the universe that has not been blown off course by explosions (such as supernovae). Our earth and sun have been blown off course, and we know this because the 3 degree Kelvin background radiation (remnant of the Big Bang) is not the same uniformly around the earth. To perform this calculation, we must find these parts of the universe that have not been blown off course (they have homogeneous background radiation as measured from the light received in that direction from earth). That still might be a problem if they were blown off course coming toward or going away from earth. These stationary stars are called co-moving observers.

True, we don't know what the universe was prior to expanding (was it a singularity (no dimensions of space at all....so physical laws don't apply), or was it kept from collapsing into a singularity by some huge quantum state (force keeping the tremendous force of gravity from total collapse). I personally think that something would stop the universe from collapsing before the laws of physics are completely useless (I favor the quantum state idea).

Apparently the oscillating universe idea has been debunked. Thus, an eternally oscillating universe is out of the question.

I used to think that matter outside of the universe could add to it, but I think that time, itself, doesn't exist outside of the universe. If so, mass could not travel into the universe. But, I might be wrong about that. After all, we know that black holes do accrete matter (suck off of stars that get too close). So, if our universe is so massive that even light cannot escape it, it is likely considered to be a black hole. I have been told that one could not survive in or around a black hole because one would be crushed. Yet, here we are.

Christians believe that God created the universe in 6 days, and it is now 6,000 years old. This is possible in physics with time dilation (moving close to the speed of light, or in a very strong gravitational field). It would be interesting to calculate how strong a gravitational field would have to be to make the theist's 6,000 years the same as the physicists 13.8 billion years. That might tell you how strong the gravity is where God is, and that might give a clue to God's location.

Clara Tea

really? Oh, I though it was evident.
In my opinion, there are solely three options theoretically:
1. the world was created
2. it is eternal
3. it popped up by itself.

There is no fourth choice, as I see it. I don't mean just this universe, I mean the universe and potential other universes before or after.

when Dawkins says: option 1 is "probably wrong" then there needs to be option 2 or 3 that is somehow more "probable", in Dawkins' view.
To me, this is logic. Am I wrong here?

If it is true that the metric of space is expanding faster than the speed of light, and since we know that time dilates at speeds that approach the speed of light, one might wonder what happens to time as it exceeds the speed of light. Is it possible to travel back in time? If so, could the universe in the future bend back in time and become the universe of the past? In other words, could the universe that we can't see be heading back to the beginning of the big bang?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
First of all, when did I ever state that God is an existent being? Second, I’m talking about the end, not the beginning. The expansion, in this model, will carry on until matter loses its cohesion.
Space-time is what is expanding. Not matter.

After the heat death of the universe, as far as I know, expansion will just keep going.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I for one did not make any súch claim here in the thread.
I say I believe in God.

Which is synonymous with claiming that god exists.
Can't have one without the other.

To express a belief, implies a claim that is being believed.
Likewise, to make a claim, implies belief in said claim.

Why would one say "x exists" if one doesn't believe it?
They are just different ways to say the same thing.

no, I never did so.

Seems like you did though....
God is an undemonstrable entity and "potential other universes" are undemonstrable also.

Since you mentioned tornadoes, post #17, there is no evidence that they were any before the Big Bang took place.

What a weird thing to say.

I stay with my opinion, there is no evidence for the universe or the world being eternal.

Did anyone claim otherwise?

Science, as far as I know, cannot go back in time to any point before the big bang.

In fact, according to contemporary science, the very idea of "before the big bang" is nonsensical, since the big bang is what brought time itself into existence

thomas t

Which is synonymous with claiming that god exists.
Can't have one without the other.
I claim I believe he exists. If you want the onus on me... then I must prove that I believe.
Contrary to that, Dawkins frankly states that God "probably" does not exists. Period.
He passes it off as factual.
However, he can't provide the evidence for his claim that a God "probably" does not exist, I think. It's a faith, as I see it.
Did anyone claim otherwise?
oh yeah.
Some people here in the thread argue that, somehow, an eternal world (I mean this universe and potentially other elements outside of it or before the Big Bang, which I don't rule out that they exist) is more substantiated than the existence of the sun god. See poll.

You came up with the tornadoes as to indicate that there is a natural explanation for its existence.
I pointed out that only so long as the laws of physics are valid... it makes sense to argue for natural explanations, at all.
But as you say, noone can say anything about what happened at (or before) t=0.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The resurrection of Christ is fundamental to the Christian faith.

Yet, no natural scientist can confirm resurrections. If you can't see a conflict between the resurrection story and science... I don't understand.
Why does science need to confirm the resurrection as a matter of faith? The Bible does not teach that we are saved by evidence, does it? Do you need to believe it has scientific veracity, in order for it to have meaning to you?

So what do you mean by “unnecessary”, if you say it’s unnecessary to believe things that cannot be confirmed by modern science in order for a Christian to be a Christian – it’s not the biblical stance, as I see it.
Is it necessary to believe that the stories of the Bible must be read and understood literally, as matters of hard scientific facts, in order to have truth and value spiritually? I see that insistence as central to causing a crisis of faith for more than a few in this modern age, myself in the past as one example.

If you look at the story of "doubting Thomas", as an example, the story serves essentially as a rebuke of Thomas' inability to have faith without some form of "proof". And you can see that throughout the gospels stories, how Jesus gently chastises those whose faith has to stand on some concrete evidences, as opposed to just hearing the truth with their hearts, instead of relying on their reasoning minds. As Jesus said to Thomas, "Blessed are those who have not seen, and have believed," in other words, true faith does not need to see hard proofs.

Yet, you have modern apologists trying to make the Bible stories "scientific" for some reason. I see that as misguided at its very heart.

In my opinion, you cannot be called a Christian if you still believe that Jesus is dead, this is at least my interpretation of Romans 10:10 and John 3:16. You have to believe the "hogwash" of the resurrection.
Christians can understand the resurrection, and have faith in it, in ways that do not have to be interpreted in hard, concrete literal ways. It is after all, a "spiritual" event. Powerful spiritual truths, typically are not physical in nature. They are "subtle". They exist beyond the physical, gross planes of exists, between form and formlessness, between the material and causal. Historically Christians have understood it differently from each other, yet all are considered Christian.

To say it must be understood as a physical resurrection by all Christians, is to basically take what Romans 14 says about how not every believer believes the same ways, but that each believes by the sincerity of their own hearts before God, whom before him alone they stand or fall, and basically ignores that in making statements that "If you don't believe the resurrection (that is understood as how they understand it), you're not a Christian". That's wrong. And it also is what drives people away from Christianity, even while they still have faith.

If you and the other former Christians in that atheist forum you speak of came to disbelieve Christ because they cannot believe in the miracle of the resurrection…. I have nothing to say. As sad as it may sound.
To be clear, I used to consider myself an atheist. I no longer do. I've been able to reclaim the baby, the true and meaningful parts of my faith, from the bathwater of earlier views of faith which caused an inability to grow any further because of the conflict between reason and faith it created for me.

As for "I have nothing to say," to those who don't believe what you do, I hope what I just said in the couple paragraphs above before this may help soften that rhetoric. It's heard by others as, "you have to believe as I do," or you are not a Christian. It says, Christianity is only as I believe, not others. That drives people away, and when a whole group of them say that, it causes an exodus.

But if they (and you) draw a line between the resurrection and, say, the Adam and Eve story… they still can be saved according to the corresponding passages. If you say the resurrection is valid and Jesus Christ is Lord... however all of the rest about the biblical miracles is hogwash according to you... then I simply don't understand you, but we are still in the same boat.
If you were to ask my understanding of the resurrection, I don't approach that as a literal dead corpse being reanimated and getting up and walking and talking again. Many do think of it like that, based on how they read the scriptures. I don't, based on not just on how I read the scriptures, but for many other reasons as well from a spiritual perspective.

The meaning of it, that of overcoming this world and living spiritually liberating, is "rising with Christ", which is what the meaning of the story is meant to communicate through its symbolisms. That's how I, and many within the Christian faith hold their understandings of it.

Does my not reading it as a literal reanimation of dead flesh, mean you view that as non-Christian? If so, there are a lot a Christians out there you are denying their faith to them. Are you willing to deny their faith to them that way?

They and you in this case even can belong to the so-called body of Christ which is the world-wide community of believers. Baptism is needed there as explained by Paul in Romans. And if they don’t commit a certain class of sins… they even can belong to the Kingdom of God and enter heavenly Jerusalem, see end of the Book of Revelation.

In short, they are brothers and sisters.

However, from my experience, churches that do not believe in the inerrancy of scriptures… tend to have problems in their marriages. Since they say there are reasons to divorce for marital problems (also speaking from own experience).
What I hear in all of this comes off as patronizing, and dabbling in arrogance about other Christians that don't think or believe in the ways you do. "They can even belong to the body of Christ," implying that despite the errors of their beliefs, God may still accept them, even though if you look at their churches, they are a mess, lots of marital problems, and such.

I think that's something you may wish to consider a little better. It doesn't come off very well.

This can be really hurtful. Have you ever spoken to a (former) wife of a Pastor that was kicked by her former husband just for marital problems – while her husband in turn had been invited to preach in front of the congregation about the love of Jesus… even after the breakup of his marriage?

Do you know the pain in her soul?
I've seen a lot of hypocrites in the church, those who preach messages of love, and yet live their lives opposite of that, all the while judging and condemning other Christians for not believing the ways they do about faith and the Bible. Countless examples. And that, is another reason there is such a mass exodus underway. It's also very hard for those who want to reclaim the baby of their Christian faith, from the bathwater of all of that.

But to be clear, the examples I am speaking of is the hard-core, bible-believing, literalist, inerrancy driven fundamentalist branches of the Christian faith. I wasn't thinking of liberal or progressive churches, not to deny problems aren't there too. But don't fool yourself into imagining, the fundamentalists are 'walking the walk", when they proclaim from the pulpits with fury about the righteous of God on Sunday mornings. I can tell you from experience, hypocrisies abound.

My personal stance: Christians may believe science more than the Bible – if they still stick to the resurrection, it’s ok. However, it can be extremely hurtful in their lives.

Thank you for being frank and open about your past, I would be eager to learn more.
Thanks for letting me speak of where I am at a little bit in this. I hope this can lead to some better understandings of where a lot of others are at in the journey of their faith on their path to Truth.

BTW, have you watched that series The Chosen, which is about the story of Jesus through the perspectives of the biblical charters, like Mary Magdalen, Matthew, Simon, etc.?

thomas t

Why does science need to confirm the resurrection as a matter of faith? The Bible does not teach that we are saved by evidence, does it? Do you need to believe it has scientific veracity, in order for it to have meaning to you?

Is it necessary to believe that the stories of the Bible must be read and understood literally, as matters of hard scientific facts, in order to have truth and value spiritually? I see that insistence as central to causing a crisis of faith for more than a few in this modern age, myself in the past as one example.

If you look at the story of "doubting Thomas", as an example, the story serves essentially as a rebuke of Thomas' inability to have faith without some form of "proof". And you can see that throughout the gospels stories, how Jesus gently chastises those whose faith has to stand on some concrete evidences, as opposed to just hearing the truth with their hearts, instead of relying on their reasoning minds. As Jesus said to Thomas, "Blessed are those who have not seen, and have believed," in other words, true faith does not need to see hard proofs.

Yet, you have modern apologists trying to make the Bible stories "scientific" for some reason. I see that as misguided at its very heart.

Christians can understand the resurrection, and have faith in it, in ways that do not have to be interpreted in hard, concrete literal ways. It is after all, a "spiritual" event. Powerful spiritual truths, typically are not physical in nature. They are "subtle". They exist beyond the physical, gross planes of exists, between form and formlessness, between the material and causal. Historically Christians have understood it differently from each other, yet all are considered Christian.

To say it must be understood as a physical resurrection by all Christians, is to basically take what Romans 14 says about how not every believer believes the same ways, but that each believes by the sincerity of their own hearts before God, whom before him alone they stand or fall, and basically ignores that in making statements that "If you don't believe the resurrection (that is understood as how they understand it), you're not a Christian". That's wrong. And it also is what drives people away from Christianity, even while they still have faith.

To be clear, I used to consider myself an atheist. I no longer do. I've been able to reclaim the baby, the true and meaningful parts of my faith, from the bathwater of earlier views of faith which caused an inability to grow any further because of the conflict between reason and faith it created for me.

As for "I have nothing to say," to those who don't believe what you do, I hope what I just said in the couple paragraphs above before this may help soften that rhetoric. It's heard by others as, "you have to believe as I do," or you are not a Christian. It says, Christianity is only as I believe, not others. That drives people away, and when a whole group of them say that, it causes an exodus.

If you were to ask my understanding of the resurrection, I don't approach that as a literal dead corpse being reanimated and getting up and walking and talking again. Many do think of it like that, based on how they read the scriptures. I don't, based on not just on how I read the scriptures, but for many other reasons as well from a spiritual perspective.

The meaning of it, that of overcoming this world and living spiritually liberating, is "rising with Christ", which is what the meaning of the story is meant to communicate through its symbolisms. That's how I, and many within the Christian faith hold their understandings of it.

Does my not reading it as a literal reanimation of dead flesh, mean you view that as non-Christian? If so, there are a lot a Christians out there you are denying their faith to them. Are you willing to deny their faith to them that way?

What I hear in all of this comes off as patronizing, and dabbling in arrogance about other Christians that don't think or believe in the ways you do. "They can even belong to the body of Christ," implying that despite the errors of their beliefs, God may still accept them, even though if you look at their churches, they are a mess, lots of marital problems, and such.

I think that's something you may wish to consider a little better. It doesn't come off very well.

I've seen a lot of hypocrites in the church, those who preach messages of love, and yet live their lives opposite of that, all the while judging and condemning other Christians for not believing the ways they do about faith and the Bible. Countless examples. And that, is another reason there is such a mass exodus underway. It's also very hard for those who want to reclaim the baby of their Christian faith, from the bathwater of all of that.

But to be clear, the examples I am speaking of is the hard-core, bible-believing, literalist, inerrancy driven fundamentalist branches of the Christian faith. I wasn't thinking of liberal or progressive churches, not to deny problems aren't there too. But don't fool yourself into imagining, the fundamentalists are 'walking the walk", when they proclaim from the pulpits with fury about the righteous of God on Sunday mornings. I can tell you from experience, hypocrisies abound.

Thanks for letting me speak of where I am at a little bit in this. I hope this can lead to some better understandings of where a lot of others are at in the journey of their faith on their path to Truth.

BTW, have you watched that series The Chosen, which is about the story of Jesus through the perspectives of the biblical charters, like Mary Magdalen, Matthew, Simon, etc.?
Windwalker, it boils all down to the question: do you believe that Jesus lives? Today? Or do you rather take the Jesus story as a valuable advice to teach a spiritual lesson?
If you believe in Jesus as a still living person, who still lives today, and announce him as Lord, you are a Christian.
If somebody has a problem with this... they aren't, in my opinion.
A dead Jesus cannot be the leader of a church.
Even if his lesson was ok in the minds of some.
In my opinion, there is no way around a living Jesus, when it comes to Christian faith.

I think, I wasn't patronizing so much. If I did, I change my wording next time.
I was speaking out of my experience what I lived in the liberal churches. I felt the horrible pain of the lady whose husband kicked her out in hope he could marry a better girl.
The liberal church? They were totally fine with that, they even hoped for him to find the better girl to marry.
In general, the people in that church are nice and friendly though.

Here in Germany, the liberal Protestant mainline church, is losing membership the fastest.

I don't wait for science to validate the resurrection of Christ by the way, did you think I do? (not quite sure)

So now I am curious as to what you'll reply to the question whether Jesus still lives in person according to your faith...