• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are people fleeing the cities?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I love the outdoors but I never thought of the hitchhiker.
It is better to just stay home and yak on forums. ;)

Exercise is a must, but difficult. Here on France a person can take an hour exercise outside and stay within 1km of home, either alone or with people living in the same household. If you meet people on your walk, you should not stop and chat (chatting is a french obsession) but stay at least 1 metre away from them. You must also carry a self certified form with the date and time you left home. Any police officer can check the form and fine you of you don't adhere to the rules.

That one hour walking in the forest or by the river with the family os what is keeping us sane.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Exercise is a must, but difficult. Here on France a person can take an hour exercise outside and stay within 1km of home, either alone or with people living in the same household. If you meet people on your walk, you should not stop and chat (chatting is a french obsession) but stay at least 1 metre away from them. You must also carry a self certified form with the date and time you left home. Any police officer can check the form and fine you of you don't adhere to the rules.
I did not realize you were under such restrictions, but that makes sense given how hard Europe was hit. I wish they would be more serious about people moving around in the U.S. but it is difficult because all the states have their own governors who set the rules.
That one hour walking in the forest or by the river with the family os what is keeping us sane.
That sounds lovely. The forums are what is keeping me sane because I need people to talk to. The cats also help keep me sane. They are so precious to me. My new cat is the one on my new avatar and he was so skittish when we got him two months ago, but now he follows me around and wants to be wherever I am working on my laptops.

It is pouring rain here so I am not going out. I spend so much time outdoors when I am going to work so I figure I can take a break, but if this continues much longer I will have to get out and exercise.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I did not realize you were under such restrictions, but that makes sense given how hard Europe was hit. I wish they would be more serious about people moving around in the U.S. but it is difficult because all the states have their own governors who set the rules.

That sounds lovely. The forums are what is keeping me sane because I need people to talk to. The cats also help keep me sane. They are so precious to me. My new cat is the one on my new avatar and he was so skittish when we got him two months ago, but now he follows me around and wants to be wherever I am working on my laptops.

It is pouring rain here so I am not going out. I spend so much time outdoors when I am going to work so I figure I can take a break, but if this continues much longer I will have to get out and exercise.

The restrictions are likely to be tightened even more tomorrow, the health minister is doing a speech on TV.

All we can do is the best we can in these times. I am concerned for friends, not the illness but because of the virus... They moved from the UK to france last year, they have gites (vacation homes) they bought (on mortgage) have spent all winter having tradesmen in to make them nice (mostly paid for with a loan). Now they cannot have any paying guests. The government have said they will help businesses with low cost loans during the emergency... Only problem, brexit, Britain has left the EU. The loans only available to European citizens.

Shad

Veteran Member
"In my location I can be outdoors for hours with little to no contact with people. That is a lot of freedom compared to a large or planned city."

I think it is a good measure.

Regards

It keeps the cabin fever under control.

The city I am in has a lot of open agriculture and undeveloped areas within a short drive so I am fortunate.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
Enjoy themselves while others are suffering from the disease or economic disaster? o_O

For some it is an escape as their normal social activities are closed or risky. Bars and clubs, sporting events, school events, etc, etc. Do consider the outbreak and the reactions to it by people and government can be stressful thus impact a person's mental health. A lot of people do not handle confinement well. Ergo cabin fever leading to greater issues. I have major issues with large cities from a mental health standpoint. It is a reason why I live in a farming community and commute to work

Flame

Beware
1/ many people are not working, told to stay at home, so treating the downtime as a holiday.

This is what is happening. The Black Hills are still open out here and they've had a flood of people from the coastlines going on a "vacation".

ChristineM

Premium Member
This is what is happening. The Black Hills are still open out here and they've had a flood of people from the coastlines going on a "vacation".

And coronavirus is spreading so spread it around elsewhere. I just don't get the rationale of some people

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
All we can do is the best we can in these times. I am concerned for friends, not the illness but because of the virus... They moved from the UK to france last year, they have gites (vacation homes) they bought (on mortgage) have spent all winter having tradesmen in to make them nice (mostly paid for with a loan). Now they cannot have any paying guests. The government have said they will help businesses with low cost loans during the emergency... Only problem, brexit, Britain has left the EU. The loans only available to European citizens.
As much as the disease is a health concern it is also an economic concern. Thankfully my vacation house and my other rental house are paid for and have tenants living in them now, and the mortgage for my residence is months away from being paid in full. I am still employed and working from home.

I do not know yet if my tenants will be able to pay the rent now but if they can't I will wait till they can. The tenant in my vacation house is so badly in arrears with the rent, he owes me thousands of dollars, but I allow him to remain in the house on the promise to pay the back rent eventually. However, now is not the time to be asking him for back rent.

As I always say, empathy and good character has nothing to do with one's religion or belief in God. Some of the most compassionate people I know are atheists, yourself included. :) I would even go so far as to say "some" religious people are too aloof from this pandemic because they believe God has their backs. I would never say that God has my back because I do not know that, but also because I consider it insensitive to the suffering of others who do not feel that way. Nuff said.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
For some it is an escape as their normal social activities are closed or risky. Bars and clubs, sporting events, school events, etc, etc. Do consider the outbreak and the reactions to it by people and government can be stressful thus impact a person's mental health. A lot of people do not handle confinement well.
Yes, I have to understand that all people are the same and most people are not like me. I handle confinement well because that is how I normally choose to live. I do not go out to bars or restaurants or for entertainment, I do not even go to Bahais activities.

Since my academic background is psychology I can understand how this sheltering in place can affect some people's mental health.
Ergo cabin fever leading to greater issues. I have major issues with large cities from a mental health standpoint. It is a reason why I live in a farming community and commute to work
I also have major issues with large cities and I could never live in one. I do not live in a metro area, but even where I live is too large for me. Thankfully I live in the country 12 miles from the city. I cannot live any further away since I ride my bike to work. Somewhere I recall reading that Baha'u'llah said that the city is the place of bodies but the country is the place of souls.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I do not think that now is the time to be going on a vacation, but that is just a personal opinion.

No only do I believe that people should have greater concerns than vacationing, travel can spread the virus to places where it is not presently located.

But such is America, the land of liberty. :oops:

Milton Platt

I was reading this article about a decision to keep the National Parks open: Keeping U.S. National Parks Open Is ‘Reckless,’ Advocates Say

So, they closed Yellowstone but they're keeping the Grand Canyon open.

Apparently, they waived the entrance fees to give a financial break to people who wanted to go, but they're now getting a surge of people coming to the parks.

A lot of these places have only small, rural hospitals and are not equipped to handle large numbers of patients.

An official with the National Parks Conservation Association says she can't understand what's happening with the senior leadership and why they can't just close the Grand Canyon National Park.

The Navajo Nation also reports that they're seeing increased traffic, with limited healthcare facilities.

I'm kind of surprised to hear of that much activity in these remote areas. I didn't even think it was park season yet, but all these people are apparently flocking to national parks and other less populated areas away from the cities.

So, what gives? Are all these people taking vacations in the middle of a national crisis, or are they fleeing the cities to find some safe, out of the way spot to ride it out and try to survive?
They are out of work, can't visit friends, can't go to the movies, can't go to restaurants, can't go to bars........they are just bored.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
They are out of work, can't visit friends, can't go to the movies, can't go to restaurants, can't go to bars........they are just bored.
I would only love it if I had the luxury of being bored. :rolleyes:
Must be nice.

I am lucky if I have time to watch TV. They can still watch TV and movies at home.

Milton Platt

I would only love it if I had the luxury of being bored. :rolleyes:
Must be nice.

I am lucky if I have time to watch TV. They can still watch TV and movies at home.

I hit the jackpot.....I retired and then they said, stay home and do nothing. I can live with that.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I hit the jackpot.....I retired and then they said, stay home and do nothing. I can live with that.
Shoot Milton, I was just about to retire when this pandemic hit. Now things are too unstable for me to make that big decision. :( But I can work at home as long as it takes for this to calm down, at least that is the latest directive from our governor. And now that I like working at home it is not going to be a picnic to have to go back to work in the building.

As long as I am a Baha'i I will never be able to do nothing. I am not a very good salesman am I? ;)