• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are people fleeing the cities?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I was reading this article about a decision to keep the National Parks open: Keeping U.S. National Parks Open Is ‘Reckless,’ Advocates Say

(WASHINGTON) — The Trump administration is sticking with its crowd-friendly waiver of entrance fees at national parks during the coronavirus pandemic, as managers at some parks try and fail to keep visitors a safe distance apart and communities appeal for a shutdown at other parks that are still open.

While the Interior Department agreed this week to requests from local managers of Yellowstone and some other iconic national parks to close, others remained open and newly free of charge. In Arizona, local governments and the Navajo Nation were waiting for an answer Thursday on their request earlier this week for federal officials to shut down Grand Canyon National Park as cases of the coronavirus grow in surrounding areas.

“We think it’s just in the best interest of the community, the visitors and the staff,” said Lena Fowler, a supervisor in Coconino County, which includes the Grand Canyon. “What we’re really concerned about is making sure everyone is safe.”

So, they closed Yellowstone but they're keeping the Grand Canyon open.

The National Parks Conservation Association, a nonprofit group that advocates on park policy issues, called the administration’s decision to keep the Grand Canyon open “beyond reckless.”

Apparently, they waived the entrance fees to give a financial break to people who wanted to go, but they're now getting a surge of people coming to the parks.

Goodwin said a decision by Bernhardt earlier this month to waive entrance fees during the pandemic was meant to give a financial break to those visitors who had decided they wanted to go, not to draw people outdoors and together on vistas and trails as coronavirus deaths and illnesses grow.

“It was not meant to create a flood of people to national parks,” Goodwin said.

A lot of these places have only small, rural hospitals and are not equipped to handle large numbers of patients.

“We looked at different models, including closing just the highly congested trails, but in the end, we decided to support the local community efforts to decrease unnecessary travel,” she said.

In the Southwest, local health officials for Arches and Canyonlands national parks also urged the park service Thursday to shut down those sites.

Despite orders barring out-of-town residents from staying overnight, hundreds of visitors are still coming to the parks, said Bradon Bradford with the Southeast Utah Health Department. That puts park staff at risk of infection, especially when shortages have left them unable to get items they need to keep the restrooms sanitized, he said.

The small, rural hospital could still be overwhelmed if people get seriously ill, officials said.

An official with the National Parks Conservation Association says she can't understand what's happening with the senior leadership and why they can't just close the Grand Canyon National Park.

“I just don’t understand what’s going on in terms of the senior leadership,” regarding cutting the entrance fees and keeping national parks open, said Kristen Brengel, a senior official with the National Parks Conservation Association.

National parks, including the Grand Canyon, have roads and trails designed to funnel visitors en masse to see views and wildlife, Brengel said. “They know they can’t keep people safe there,” she said.

The Navajo Nation also reports that they're seeing increased traffic, with limited healthcare facilities.

The Navajo Nation, which has 71 confirmed cases of the coronavirus, closed tribal parks, placed restrictions on businesses and issued a stay-at-home order for residents on the vast 27,000-square-mile (70,000-square-kilometer) reservation that extends into Utah, New Mexico and Arizona.

“We are experiencing constant traffic through Navajo communities, and we simply cannot afford any additional outbreaks among our Navajo people, non-Navajo residents or those tourists travelling through the Navajo Nation,” tribal President Jonathan Nez and Vice President Myron Lizer wrote in the letter seeking the park closure.

I'm kind of surprised to hear of that much activity in these remote areas. I didn't even think it was park season yet, but all these people are apparently flocking to national parks and other less populated areas away from the cities.

So, what gives? Are all these people taking vacations in the middle of a national crisis, or are they fleeing the cities to find some safe, out of the way spot to ride it out and try to survive?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I see 2 avenue's of thought

1/ many people are not working, told to stay at home, so treating the downtime as a holiday.

2/ people could be attempting to flee the virus.

in the UK the National Trust who manage most of, and the biggest parks has acted to close down many of its sites because people were treating stay at home as have a holiday.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I see 2 avenue's of thought

1/ many people are not working, told to stay at home, so treating the downtime as a holiday.

2/ people could be attempting to flee the virus.

in the UK the National Trust who manage most of, and the biggest parks has acted to close down many of its sites because people were treating stay at home as have a holiday.

That would make sense to close all the parks and camping facilities. They've closed some parks here, but not all of them. Still, there might be other rural spots people might find. It seems like the areas of higher population density are getting hit hard, so I can see why people would want to go to places where there are fewer people. But that's how it spreads far and wide.

Shad

Veteran Member
So, what gives? Are all these people taking vacations in the middle of a national crisis, or are they fleeing the cities to find some safe, out of the way spot to ride it out and try to survive?

Cities are pens or cages right now with limited freedom of movement, lockdowns, high building and population densities. Be it fear of infection or getting cabin fever people want out.

In my location I can be outdoors for hours with little to no contact with people. That is a lot of freedom compared to a large or planned city.

pearl

Some New England states are not welcoming anyone from NY. One state is so strict it is enforced by police and national guard. There are many people who live in NY and own a second home on Cape Cod. If from NY you must quarantine for 2 weeks. The islands off Massachusetts and Rhode Island have done the same by almost eliminating the ferries.

ChristineM

Premium Member
That would make sense to close all the parks and camping facilities. They've closed some parks here, but not all of them. Still, there might be other rural spots people might find. It seems like the areas of higher population density are getting hit hard, so I can see why people would want to go to places where there are fewer people. But that's how it spreads far and wide.

Incubation is 1 to 14 days before you start feeling ill, but you are contagious in this time. With so many getting out into the wild there will be some take a coronavirus hitchhiker to spread around.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Some New England states are not welcoming anyone from NY. One state is so strict it is enforced by police and national guard. There are many people who live in NY and own a second home on Cape Cod. If from NY you must quarantine for 2 weeks. The islands off Massachusetts and Rhode Island have done the same by almost eliminating the ferries.

The islands off Scotland that are serviced by ferries not carrying non residents of the islands

leov

I was reading this article about a decision to keep the National Parks open: Keeping U.S. National Parks Open Is ‘Reckless,’ Advocates Say

Apparently, they waived the entrance fees to give a financial break to people who wanted to go, but they're now getting a surge of people coming to the parks.

A lot of these places have only small, rural hospitals and are not equipped to handle large numbers of patients.

An official with the National Parks Conservation Association says she can't understand what's happening with the senior leadership and why they can't just close the Grand Canyon National Park.

The Navajo Nation also reports that they're seeing increased traffic, with limited healthcare facilities.

I'm kind of surprised to hear of that much activity in these remote areas. I didn't even think it was park season yet, but all these people are apparently flocking to national parks and other less populated areas away from the cities.

i live in a small foot hill county, Our mayor just posted a statement to outsiders ,we love you but right now it is not a good time to come,postpone your trip. my elder son works and lives in large ski resort community near Tahoe , mostly owned by those who can afford the second homes elsewhere, he says that all year around town homes are empty but now almost all owners are in.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Cities are pens or cages right now with limited freedom of movement, lockdowns, high building and population densities. Be it fear of infection or getting cabin fever people want out.

In my location I can be outdoors for hours with little to no contact with people. That is a lot of freedom compared to a large or planned city.
"In my location I can be outdoors for hours with little to no contact with people. That is a lot of freedom compared to a large or planned city."

I think it is a good measure.

Regards

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

New York not only opened the parks, they actually waive the fees to get in.

I think the reason being is it's a large open arguably rural environment and people can stay apart from each other and unwind for a bit. I'm guessing it's a two-fold reason.

First to help take the pressure cooker off people, and secondly keep the spread out of enclosed areas.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
No one said you can't go outside. It's more about being smart and avoiding contact with people, washing hands and so on. I go out every day or so. I have to, really.
I should go outside and get some exercise but I have been too busy working and on forums.

I never go stir crazy as long as I am busy. Even before the pandemic, I never went out three days a week when I was not working, I just have no time. I also do not like driving and I have nowhere I need to go except to the grocery store.

I try to live a simple life. With 3 houses and 10 cats I do not need any more stress than I already have.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

Maybe they can't pay their rent because they can't work?