• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are people born inherently atheist?

outhouse

Atheistically
I don't know.
I think Athiesm is a belief. Not a lack of one.
An Athiest believe's there is no God,
Without evidence to the contrary.
So it is a belief.

They disagree with other beliefs, And prefer the belief of no deity. They are actively believing in nothing. They aren't lacking belief.

Through education, I lack a belief in mythology existing in reality.

outhouse

Atheistically
The oxford dictionary defines atheism as both the belief that there is no gods or the lack of belief in gods.

With theecessity of these happening in a person (thus, rocks cannot be atheists because they lack belief.)

Beliefs that happen with evidence are still beliefs.

Finally someone stumbled on the core of the matter.

Now were required to get philisophical into the definition on not only theism, but belief itself. I just lack it. ;)

Again even though your getting warmer. There have never been any winners.

Sadly It all comes down to personal bias.

InChrist

Free4ever
A look through history shows that every culture without exception has some kind of God, gods, or form of worship, no matter the variation or confusion, some concept of God exists everywhere.

I think everyone is born with a conscience and the scriptures indicate that this conscience is given by the Creator and that all people are innately aware of God's existence and right and wrong, yet often choose to ignore the conviction of their conscience...

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Romans 1:20-21

For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law (for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified; for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel. Romans 1:12-16

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A look through history shows that every culture without exception has some kind of God, gods, or form of worship, no matter the variation or confusion, some concept of God exists everywhere.
How can you know this about every culture?
But even if it were true, it could also point to a human need rather than a supernatural reality.

I think everyone is born with a conscience and the scriptures indicate that this conscience is given by the Creator and that all people are innately aware of God's existence and right and wrong, yet often choose to ignore the conviction of their conscience...
I get my conscience from genes & environment.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The disagreement happens because people conflate an objective way of speaking about things with an objective reality.

Do you think so? I just don't see it, not even as a hint.

It seems much more like people are conditioned to think of atheism as something undesirable, perhaps even painful or harmful in some vague way.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
God is a concept precisely arbitrary enough as to believe such :D

The way I see it, they are directly experiencing godhood without any concept for it.

If you say so. That is still seeing experience of godhood in atheists, though.

Do you see it that way for adult, conscious atheists as well?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't know.
I think Athiesm is a belief. Not a lack of one.
An Athiest believe's there is no God,
Without evidence to the contrary.
So it is a belief.

That sure sounds odd. The whole of existence is evidence against the existence of God, after all. I have no idea why you would perceive things differently.

They disagree with other beliefs, And prefer the belief of no deity. They are actively believing in nothing. They aren't lacking belief.

It is not a matter of preference, but just of being honest with ourselves.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Arguable at best. There are some very forced interpretations running around to support such a conclusion.