• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are people born inherently atheist?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Are people born inherently atheist?
People are not born with a stance on the question of "God," no.

If we never had all these religions would people "find god?"
That's a good question. I know it happens in some cases by accident, but I don't suspect that's for everyone and millennia of discussions about philosophy and religion cannot help but play a role. I suspect that people would "find god" without religion but have no reason to blanket what they found in those specific terms and concepts.

I know everybody would be curious about why things happen but if people were raised with the final conclusion of an inquiry as "we just don't know yet" rather than than saying "god, would the world be a better place?
Probably yes.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, they generate propensity to certain kinds of behaviour to a limited degree. But they can't make you atheist, christian, catholic, jedi, spaghetti monster..ist? and so on. That all has to be learned.
I was born not believing in gods, & never wavered.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
But why would atheism require capacity or ability? It's not a belief, a system or a faith. It's a lack; an emptiness of belief.

Because without the capacity to understand what theism is, atheism is a meaningless concept. If someone, or something, doesn't have the capacity or ability to believe something, then it is not meaningful to describe its non-belief. This distinction helps to avoid lines of reasoning which lead to ridiculous conclusions such as babies or rocks being atheists.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Actually, no, rocks cannot be atheists.

The definition says a PERSON that does not believe in gods.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Actually, no, rocks cannot be atheists.
It's the wrong kind of rock (Xian), but it reminded me of this quote....
images

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Because without the capacity to understand what theism is, atheism is a meaningless concept. If someone, or something, doesn't have the capacity or ability to believe something, then it is not meaningful to describe its non-belief. This distinction helps to avoid lines of reasoning which lead to ridiculous conclusions such as babies or rocks being atheists.

Why is it ridiculous to conclude that babies are atheists?

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
I see atheism as the rejection of the idea of god(s). Babies cannot have a concept of god to reject and so therefore cannot be atheist.

outhouse

Atheistically
Because it's meaningless to label the non-belief of something which isn't capable of holding any beliefs, such as babies and rocks.

Its not about non-belief.

Theism is a learned trait, babies have not learned this trait. When one doesnt have theism, one is atheist.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Theism doesnt seem to be a learned trait at all.

Animism is inherent and the initial connection to all without any percieved separation or death to come seems to be pantheism.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
When one doesnt have theism, one is atheist.

Yeah, I don't find describing rocks as "atheists" particularly meaningful. Nor, basketballs as "mute" or brooms as "blind." No difference with infants and atheism. They have no capacity to hold any meaningful beliefs, so describing them by an absence a belief is a pointless label.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Yeah, I don't find describing rocks as "atheists" particularly meaningful. Nor, basketballs as "mute" or brooms as "blind." No difference with infants and atheism. They have no capacity to hold any meaningful beliefs, so describing them by an absence a belief is a pointless label.

Again, you need to be a person to be an atheist.

outhouse

Atheistically

That has merit.

I dont label babies or inanimate objects, but when asked, I know they dont have theism.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Because it's meaningless to label the non-belief of something which isn't capable of holding any beliefs, such as babies and rocks.

I disagree, although I don't think it's that important. I think the main point we can probably all agree on is that babies don't hold a belief in god, and while some might be more apt than others to believe later, it's still something that has to be taught.