• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are our phones listening to us?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Yesterday I was talking to a friend about cryptocurrencies, and jokingly I told him I was going to invest in something called Loser Coin, which was a name I just pulled out of thin air.

Then today when I opened YouTube I had an alert to a video called "How to buy Loser Coin" from someone I wasn't even subscribed to

Guess we're going to have to start watching what we say even around ourselves now.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Yesterday I was talking to a friend about cryptocurrencies, and jokingly I told him I was going to invest in something called Loser Coin, which was a name I just pulled out of thin air.

Then today when I opened YouTube, I had an alert to a video called "How to buy Loser Coin" from someone I wasn't even subscribed to

Guess we're going to have to start watching what we say even around ourselves now.

This has been going on for years now.

There is a way to turn it off on your phone, but it apparently messes with some functionality (such as Siri, or OKGoogle).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.makeuseof.com/tag/stop-google-android-listening/amp/

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a flip phone that has internet capabilities, but I have it shut off.

The other night, my son got ahold of my phone, and was about to unknowingly activate the 'voice' aspect of it. The notification I saw said something like: "by agreeing to use this feature, you grant google the option to hear what you're saying" (in much more professional terms than that)

Creeped me out.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Then today when I opened YouTube, I had an alert to a video called "How to buy Loser Coin" from someone I wasn't even subscribed to

What phone company? What kind of phone?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don't even have my phone on me half the time.

Of course I could look at it the other way. I may be being spied on for half of the time. Okay, now I am not happy.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
my computer isn't set up with a microphone as far as I know, my friend was in my room with the computer turned on discussing buying a good used refrigerator, and showed me a picture on her telephone of the one she bought, low and behold today MSN website has ads for new refrigerators, like they do for other items I buy online or look at except this was never discussed on my computer or my phone, what do you think, my computer has a secret microphone I don't know about, creepy as hell

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
My brother, the computer expert says the link is through us being friends on facebook messenger and the refrigerator being on her messenger, shouldn't be any microphone in my computer he says, as if that's supposed to make me feel any better

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
*starts working on a patent for soundproof, lead-lined phone cases*

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I even made a thread on that.

Yours confirms it. People are being spied on without permission.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Sounds manditory rather then voluntary.

You can opt out of it at anytime. My first link showed how to do it. :) (I turn this functionality off myself)

Also, a lot of the data they gather is from your internet browser cookies and cache. As I still get eerily targeted ads. But the amount of information we share on a regular basis, is much larger than most people recognize.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I bet if you had the capital, you could sell millions of those things.
Or come up with an app that has you saying , "What a nice day! I'm so glad I'm not up to anything I'm not supposed to!" over and over.