• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are orgasms a foretaste of Heaven?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Contrary to what most Christians believe, there will be no physical bodies in heaven. The physical body once dead remains dead. It does not rise from the grave.

In heaven we will have spiritual bodies made up of heavenly elements that exist in the heavenly realm. Since they won't be physical, physical pleasure such as sex will not exist in the afterlife.... There will be only spiritual pleasure. Anyone who died attached to the physical pleasures such as sex will be in a hell of their own making because hell is wanting what you can no longer have and having to think about it for eternity. Moreover, anyone who died not even knowing what spiritual pleasures are will be utterly lost. That will also be hell.

We have one chance to acquire what we will need in the afterlife. That is why we were put on this earth, to acquire spiritual virtues. If we waste our lives living for the physical pleasures or other worldly desires we will be utterly lost after we die, but there won't be any way to go back and get what we have lost.

It is not a coincidence that all the Abrahamic scriptures teach the same things about the importance of the spiritual graces as opposed to physical pleasures and it is emphasized so much. It is not as if God has not given us fair warning. If we do not listen and do what is necessary we will pay the price. It is not God that will send us to hell, we will send ourselves to hell by being selfish and attached to this world. It might feel good now but it won't feel good after we die. Eternity is a long time to be in hell.
I'm fairly certain that Pope isn't talking about having sex in heaven. It's about whether the pleasure of orgasm can be considered a foretaste of the bliss of heaven.

Christians (as well as Jews and Muslims) do await the resurrection of the dead and the Day of Judgement. So to them, we will be rejoined with our bodies eventually.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I watched a whole series on sexuality , what it means theologically, and that human beings crave Seks and are interested in it so much, because it is actually a craving for heaven.

Could be true.:shrug:
No, I do not think that is true. Humans like sex because it feels good just like humans like to drink alcohol and take drugs, because they make you feel good... It is a way to alter the mind temporarily and feel good, but as a result people miss out on spiritual happiness, which is the only true happiness that is eternal.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Contrary to what most Christians believe, there will be no physical bodies in heaven. The physical body once dead remains dead. It does not rise from the grave.

In heaven we will have spiritual bodies made up of heavenly elements that exist in the heavenly realm. Since they won't be physical, physical pleasure such as sex will not exist in the afterlife.... There will be only spiritual pleasure. Anyone who died attached to the physical pleasures such as sex will be in a hell of their own making because hell is wanting what you can no longer have and having to think about it for eternity. Moreover, anyone who died not even knowing what spiritual pleasures are will be utterly lost. That will also be hell.

We have one chance to acquire what we will need in the afterlife. That is why we were put on this earth, to acquire spiritual virtues. If we waste our lives living for the physical pleasures or other worldly desires we will be utterly lost after we die, but there won't be any way to go back and get what we have lost.

It is not a coincidence that all the Abrahamic scriptures teach the same things about the importance of the spiritual graces as opposed to physical pleasures and it is emphasized so much. It is not as if God has not given us fair warning. If we do not listen and do what is necessary we will pay the price. It is not God that will send us to hell, we will send ourselves to hell by being selfish and attached to this world. It might feel good now but it won't feel good after we die. Eternity is a long time to be in hell.

I'm saying that the people in heaven will be in ecstasy and bliss. It wouldn't be the same thing as an orgasm, but a reward in heaven that is more euphoric and resembles it in some way.

I also do not believe God is so much of a jerk as to punish people for all eternity. I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy, and I believe God is more kind than I am.

There may be a select few people that never want to go to heaven. Who knows what the fate of those people are. I think the only people that would go to hell, would be people who are presented with the truth after death, and still remain stubborn and combative with God.

I think it's a very small percentage of people that would reject the truth if they actually knew the truth.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
No, I do not think that is true. Humans like sex because it feels good just like humans like to drink alcohol and take drugs, because they make you feel good... It is a way to alter the mind temporarily and feel good, but as a result people miss out on spiritual happiness, which is the only true happiness that is eternal.
Wanting to feel good comes natural. God isn't going to burn people in hell for the crime of indulging in what feels good, unless it is hurting somebody else imo

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Sex can be quite spiritual. God made our bodies. Of course He would want us to enjoy them. He created the ability to orgasm.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
There is other euphoric feelings besides sexual. Why point out sexuality as if its the only euphoric pleasure?

Sex is primitive, i would hate to live forever with primitive feelings.

The joy of sex is in its genuine love expression for another otherwise its pretty meaningless.

I dare say romance is better.

I could probably invent a better way to have pleasure without sex.

I could probably invent better sexuality then what is biologically given.

What is heaven anyway? Im sure it has to be far beyond what the body can produce.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I'm fairly certain that Pope isn't talking about having sex in heaven. It's about whether the pleasure of orgasm can be considered a foretaste of the bliss of heaven.
Believe as you wish, but physical pleasure does not hold a candle to spiritual pleasure and they have nothing in common. I know from personal experience. We are talking multiple orgasms lasting for an hour or longer, what a man could never have. After I gave that up and turned to God and my religion I realized I was addicted and that I was never really happy. I have no interest in ever going back to that life because it was a selfish life.

But the most important point is that physical pleasure is not transferable to spiritual pleasure because the basis upon which they rest, the motives behind them, are completely different. Sexual pleasure is about self and desire whereas spiritual pleasure is about service to God and others.
Christians (as well as Jews and Muslims) do await the resurrection of the dead and the Day of Judgement. So to them, we will be rejoined with our bodies eventually.
They can believe whatever they want to but it is not going to happen. A body once dead remains dead. This is according to the laws of physics. Moreover, nobody in any NDE ever experienced their physical body. They realized it was left behind and they had no interest in ever connecting with it again because they realized it was not who they really were. The soul is who we are, not the body. The soul will take on some kind of form in the spiritual world, but it will not be physical.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Believe as you wish, but physical pleasure does not hold a candle to spiritual pleasure and they have nothing in common. I know from personal experience. We are talking multiple orgasms lasting for an hour or longer, what a man could never have. After I gave that up and turned to God and my religion I realized I was addicted and that I was never really happy. I have no interest in ever going back to that life because it was a selfish life.

But the most important point is that physical pleasure is not transferable to spiritual pleasure because the basis upon which they rest, the motives behind them, are completely different. Sexual pleasure is about self and desire whereas spiritual pleasure is about service to God and others.

They can believe whatever they want to but it is not going to happen. A body once dead remains dead. This is according to the laws of physics. Moreover, nobody in any NDE ever experienced their physical body. They realized it was left behind and they had no interest in ever connecting with it again because they realized it was not who they really were. The soul is who we are, not the body. The soul will take on some kind of form in the spiritual world, but it will not be physical.
That sounds rather Gnostic...this anti-body stuff, like it's some useless vessel we just cast off and it means nothing or is lesser. I don't agree with that. I chose to believe God knew what He was doing when He made us and that our bodies are magnificent creations that glorify Him. He gave us our bodies and ensouled them. We're not sexless angels made out of light or whatever. He made us beings of flesh, bone and blood with genitals. It obviously follows that sex is a gift of God. If you don't want to have it, that's your choice. But belittling it is to insult God's design. He made us these sexual creatures when He could've made us asexual.

Of course NDEs don't have bodies. The resurrection of the dead hasn't happened yet.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I'm saying that the people in heaven will be in ecstasy and bliss. It wouldn't be the same thing as an orgasm, but a reward in heaven that is more euphoric and resembles it in some way.
You might have a point. The euphoric feeling could resemble orgasm in some way but the big difference is that it will be eternal happiness, not temporary happiness.
also do not believe God is so much of a jerk as to punish people for all eternity. I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy, and I believe God is more kind than I am.
I do not believe that God punishes anyone. We punish ourselves by turning away from God and being selfish. God gives us that choice.
There may be a select few people that never want to go to heaven. Who knows what the fate of those people are. I think the only people that would go to hell, would be people who are presented with the truth after death, and still remain stubborn and combative with God.
You are absolutely right. There will be people who won't be comfortable in heaven, but rather only in hell. It will be more than a few people. I think they will be given a chance to see the truth but they either won't recognize it or want it, so they will go to hell by choice.
I think it's a very small percentage of people that would reject the truth if they actually knew the truth.
No, I do not think it will be a small percentage. There are many people who reject the truth in this world even though it is staring them in the face. There is no reason to believe it will be different in the afterlife.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Wanting to feel good comes natural. God isn't going to burn people in hell for the crime of indulging in what feels good, unless it is hurting somebody else imo
No, I do not think God is going to burn people in hell for anything...
There is nothing wrong with wanting to feel good physically as long as it does not come in between a person and God. But if someone is attached to wanting that feeling then they will be in hell in the afterlife where there is no sex.

atanu

Premium Member
An orgasm is supposed to prefigure and be a taste of the joy and pleasure we will have in heaven.
Do you agree or disagree with this idea?

Yes. But the heaven is inside our own awareness. No one gets orgasm from any external source. In sleep we are in bliss. We do not know. In samadhi, bliss is equal or more than orgasmic.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Sex can be quite spiritual. God made our bodies. Of course He would want us to enjoy them. He created the ability to orgasm.
I do not believe that sex is spiritual, but that is just my personal opinion, according to my definition of spiritual.

That does not mean that people cannot enjoy sex though, as long as it does not come in between them and God, if they are a believer. It intervened between me and God so I had to give it up. This has nothing to do with what my religion teaches, it is just that I have a difficult enough time feeling close to God as it is. Sex is not frowned upon in my religion although it is only allowed between a man and wife.

“Should a man wish to adorn himself with the ornaments of the earth, to wear its apparels, or partake of the benefits it can bestow, no harm can befall him, if he alloweth nothing whatever to intervene between him and God, for God hath ordained every good thing, whether created in the heavens or in the earth, for such of His servants as truly believe in Him. Eat ye, O people, of the good things which God hath allowed you, and deprive not yourselves from His wondrous bounties. Render thanks and praise unto Him, and be of them that are truly thankful.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 276

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Obviously reproduction is a function of sex but it's obviously not the only one.
Put it this way: once sex for reproduction is in place and working, it's not important whether it has other uses. (However, if those other uses interfere with reproduction, then the genes of those who like such other uses will be less frequently represented in tomorrow's gene pool unless everyone's doing it.)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That sounds rather Gnostic...this anti-body stuff, like it's some useless vessel we just cast off and it means nothing or is lesser. I don't agree with that. I chose to believe God knew what He was doing when He made us and that our bodies are magnificent creations that glorify Him. He gave us our bodies and ensouled them. We're not sexless angels made out of light or whatever. He made us beings of flesh, bone and blood with genitals. It obviously follows that sex is a gift of God. If you don't want to have it, that's your choice. But belittling it is to insult God's design. He made us these sexual creatures when He could've made us asexual.
God did not make us sexual creatures, God made us spiritual beings. That is abundantly clear by reading what Jesus said. Our true reality is not our body. It is our spirit (soul).

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Luke 9:59-60 And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.

Obviously, Jesus did not consider the physical body important. He considered the spirit and preaching the kingdom of God important. It was the Christians who placed importance upon the physical body which goes against everything Jesus ever taught. Paul did not think sex was desirable in any way even though he allowed it in marriage. He did not consider sex a gift of God but rather something to contend with.

God could not have made us asexual because the human species would die out. Sex is necessary for procreation and that is its primary purpose. That is obvious if we look at how the body was designed. After menopause women do not have the same sexual desire and sex is painful. When men age they cannot continue to have sex. God designed those bodies to have sex while younger, but not in old age. People try to circumvent that by taking pills but that is going against nature and it is dangerous for one's health.

The body is just a vehicle that carries the soul around while we are alive on earth, a place to house the soul. The soul is our self, our true reality; the body is just our outer shell.

The soul is the sum total of the personality so it is the person himself; the physical body is pure matter with no real identity. The person, after he dies and leaves his physical body behind, goes to the spiritual world where the soul takes on a spiritual body made up of heavenly elements that exist in the spiritual realm. Since the requirements of the physical body no longer impinge upon the soul in the spiritual world, the soul is like a bird that has been released from a cage, free at last from the requirements of the material world.
Of course NDEs don't have bodies. The resurrection of the dead hasn't happened yet.
There is no basis for resurrection of bodies in the Bible. The belief is derived from a misinterpretation of Bible verses. Some people just want to have physical bodies forever so they will not relinquish that belief, but they will have to after they die and realize they no longer have a physical body. If they were attached to that physical body, obviously that will present a problem.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
God did not make us sexual creatures, God made us spiritual beings. That is abundantly clear by reading what Jesus said. Our true reality is not our body. It is our spirit (soul).

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Luke 9:59-60 And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.

Obviously, Jesus did not consider the physical body important. He considered the spirit and preaching the kingdom of God important. It was the Christians who placed importance upon the physical body which goes against everything Jesus ever taught. Paul did not think sex was desirable in any way even though he allowed it in marriage. He did not consider sex a gift of God but rather something to contend with.

God could not have made us asexual because the human species would die out. Sex is necessary for procreation and that is its primary purpose. That is obvious if we look at how the body was designed. After menopause women do not have the same sexual desire and sex is painful. When men age they cannot continue to have sex. God designed those bodies to have sex while younger, but not in old age. People try to circumvent that by taking pills but that is going against nature and it is dangerous for one's health.

The body is just a vehicle that carries the soul around while we are alive on earth, a place to house the soul. The soul is our self, our true reality; the body is just our outer shell.

The soul is the sum total of the personality so it is the person himself; the physical body is pure matter with no real identity. The person, after he dies and leaves his physical body behind, goes to the spiritual world where the soul takes on a spiritual body made up of heavenly elements that exist in the spiritual realm. Since the requirements of the physical body no longer impinge upon the soul in the spiritual world, the soul is like a bird that has been released from a cage, free at last from the requirements of the material world.

There is no basis for resurrection of bodies in the Bible. The belief is derived from a misinterpretation of Bible verses. Some people just want to have physical bodies forever so they will not relinquish that belief, but they will have to after they die and realize they no longer have a physical body. If they were attached to that physical body, obviously that will present a problem.
I don't care what Jesus in the Bible or Paul said about it. I prefer Islam and Judaism. They lack the revulsion towards the body that Christianity often has and don't promote asceticism. This sounds Hindu or Gnostic. You seem to think that the body is some sort of prison, like the body holds the soul back from God. I guess you think God messed up when He created the physical world! And resurrection of the dead is in the Bible: 10 Bible verses about the resurrection - United Bible Societies

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
God made easier for men to get the foretaste of heaven then for women. But God also made foretaste of heaven last longer for women (for all their trouble) than for men. One woman had repeated orgasms after having sex and had to be medicated in the hospital to stop it (news report).

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't care what Jesus in the Bible or Paul said about it. I prefer Islam and Judaism. They lack the revulsion towards the body that Christianity often has and don't promote asceticism. This sounds Hindu or Gnostic. You seem to think that the body is some sort of prison, like the body holds the soul back from God. I guess you think God messed up when He created the physical world! And resurrection of the dead is in the Bible: 10 Bible verses about the resurrection - United Bible Societies
It seem rather odd that you do not like Christianity yet you believe in the resurrection of bodies from the grave. None of those Bible verses refer to a physical resurrection. They all refer to a spiritual resurrection. The body once dead remains dead forever. How anyone can believe that dead bodies rise from graves is beyond my comprehension. It is so ludicrous.

If one is attached to the body and physical pleasure then the body becomes a prison, the prison of self.

God created the physical world so we could learn what we need to learn and acquire the spiritual attributes we will need in the spiritual world. God did not create it so we could enjoy ourselves. Although there is nothing inherently wrong with enjoying oneself that is certainly not the purpose of our existence on earth. No scriptures would ever support such a belief.

The Baha'i Faith has outlawed asceticism. Baha'is are not ascetics and we are not required to be austere. That is a personal choice that I make for my own reasons. I lived for the physical when I was younger but now I prefer to focus on acquiring spiritual attributes because that is all I will take with me when I die.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It seem rather odd that you do not like Christianity yet you believe in the resurrection of bodies from the grave. None of those Bible verses refer to a physical resurrection. They all refer to a spiritual resurrection. The body once dead remains dead forever. How anyone can believe that dead bodies rise from graves is beyond my comprehension. It is so ludicrous.

If one is attached to the body and physical pleasure then the body becomes a prison, the prison of self.

God created the physical world so we could learn what we need to learn and acquire the spiritual attributes we will need in the spiritual world. God did not create it so we could enjoy ourselves. Although there is nothing inherently wrong with enjoying oneself that is certainly not the purpose of our existence on earth. No scriptures would ever support such a belief.

The Baha'i Faith has outlawed asceticism. Baha'is are not ascetics and we are not required to be austere. That is a personal choice that I make for my own reasons. I lived for the physical when I was younger but now I prefer to focus on acquiring spiritual attributes because that is all I will take with me when I die.
I said I prefer Islam and Judaism. Both believe in a resurrection of the dead. It's not supposed to be something explained through reason or science. It would be a miracle of God. If it happens, it happens. But that is what is taught. It's laughable to me that you see those verses as talking about some "spiritual resurrection" when that is not what is taught in those religions. But I understand your view of God is closer to to Brahman than the God of Abraham.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Jiddu Krishnamurti now and then said that sex was the closest most people would come to a mystical experience of god. He was not talking specifically of orgasm, however, but rather of the fact that some people are able to momentarily forget themselves when having sex, and thus attain some sense of union with their partners.