• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are orgasms a foretaste of Heaven?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Christopher West said that John Paul II stated that if you give your wife an orgasm it is an act of virtue.

"According to author Christopher West, the central thesis of John Paul's Theology of the Body is that "the body, and it alone, is capable of making visible what is invisible: the spiritual and the divine. It was created to transfer into the visible reality of the world, the mystery hidden since time immemorial in God, and thus to be a sign of it."[1]
Theology of the Body - Wikipedia

In response to John Paul II's Theology of the Body, many theologians and speakers have said that sexual pleasure and orgasms are a foretaste of Heaven.

The human body is described as a mystery of and image of God's love. In heaven we will be one body, one flesh, and one with God , according to Catholic theology.

An orgasm is supposed to prefigure and be a taste of the joy and pleasure we will have in heaven.

Do you agree or disagree with this idea?

The Garden of Eden, where both were naked without shame is supposed to be a prefigurement of Heaven.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Dang, PaD! Where do you come up with this stuff, lol.
I watched a whole series on sexuality , what it means theologically, and that human beings crave Seks and are interested in it so much, because it is actually a craving for heaven.

Could be true.:shrug:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
An orgasm is supposed to prefigure and be a taste of the joy and pleasure we will have in heaven.

I think it shows a deep misunderstanding of the function of the orgasm.

The human orgasm exists because humans, like all creatures, have an evolutionary imperative to breed, It represents the moment that sperm can be transmitted to the female. The pleasure of the orgasm is a reward or affirmation to the parties for copulating at all, even though (as Woytyła clearly knew) it can occur in other ways.

(I wonder: do microbes get a buzz after a successful fission?)

The punchline is that if Jesus is to be believed, there's no procreation in heaven, no equivalent to bodily sex: "When they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like the angels in heaven." (Mark 12:25 and Matthew 22:30). So the idea of gratuitous orgasms forever sounds better than the alternative but isn't on offer; and it's not clear what's being offered instead.

Which brings me back to the basic problem with post-mortal existence: that our real lives, our real emotions, our real joys and despairs, are the product of our brains reacting with our hormones, and, well, no body, no hormones, and no hormones, no emotions, and no emotions, nothing matters. For ever and ever and ever and ever and ever.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I think it shows a deep misunderstanding of the function of the orgasm.

The human orgasm exists because humans, like all creatures, have an evolutionary imperative to breed, It represents the moment that sperm can be transmitted to the female. The pleasure of the orgasm is a reward or affirmation to the parties for copulating at all, even though (as Woytyła clearly knew) it can occur in other ways.

(I wonder: do microbes get a buzz after a successful fission?)

The punchline is that if Jesus is to be believed, there's no procreation in heaven, no equivalent to bodily sex: "When they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like the angels in heaven." (Mark 12:25 and Matthew 22:30). So the idea of gratuitous orgasms forever sounds better than the alternative but isn't on offer; and it's not clear what's being offered instead.

Which brings me back to the basic problem with post-mortal existence: that our real lives, our real emotions, our real joys and despairs, are the product of our brains reacting with our hormones, and, well, no body, no hormones, and no hormones, no emotions, and no emotions, nothing matters. For ever and ever and ever and ever and ever.
Females have orgasms, too, ya know. The clitoris is entirely for sexual pleasure and has nothing to do with reproduction. Males can orgasm without ejaculating, too.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Sexual climax is one of the most pleasurable sensations we highly evolved apes experience. Heaven is supposedly eternal, so then there'd be no point of an eternal climax that'd be cause for joy. I'd feel like a squirmy jellyfish after awhile from continuously climaxing. :eek: Eventually, I'd be swimming around in my own gooey ooze. Hmmm?....come to think of it...that'd be kinda cool for awhile..:cool: However, it'd sooner or later get to be a pretty boring and lonely place there around me cause nobody would be able to come and visit with me. In conclusion, an orgasm isn't a foretaste of Heaven. :(

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Sexual climax is one of the most pleasurable sensations we highly evolved apes experience. Heaven is supposedly eternal, so then there'd be no point of an eternal climax that'd be cause for joy. I'd feel like a squirmy jellyfish after awhile from continuously climaxing. :eek: Eventually, I'd be swimming around in my own gooey ooze. Hmmm?....come to think of it...that'd be kinda cool for awhile..:cool: However, it'd sooner or later get to be a pretty boring and lonely place there around me cause nobody would be able to come and visit with me. In conclusion, an orgasm isn't a foretaste of Heaven. :(
Happy birthday! :)

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Females have orgasms, too, ya know. The clitoris is entirely for sexual pleasure and has nothing to do with reproduction. Males can orgasm without ejaculating, too.
Yes, sure, all of the above, but why is this particular pleasure sexual? Directly centered on the organs of generation? Why couldn't we all just get off on good cooking as the ultimate satisfaction? Or exquisite perfumes, or banging our heads on a brick wall or indulging in a better opiate?

Why sex, do you think?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, sure, all of the above, but why is this particular pleasure sexual? Directly centered on the organs of generation? Why couldn't we all just get off on good cooking as the ultimate satisfaction? Or exquisite perfumes, or banging our heads on a brick wall or indulging in a better opiate?

Why sex?
Who knows. I didn't design the body. It's just obvious that sexual pleasure isn't purely for reproduction. Many species masturbate and have non-reproductive sex. Even some female dolphins have another hole that's just for fun. Of course there's homosexuality, as well.

dfnj

Christopher West said that John Paul II stated that if you give your wife an orgasm it is an act of virtue.

"According to author Christopher West, the central thesis of John Paul's Theology of the Body is that "the body, and it alone, is capable of making visible what is invisible: the spiritual and the divine. It was created to transfer into the visible reality of the world, the mystery hidden since time immemorial in God, and thus to be a sign of it."[1]

In response to John Paul II's Theology of the Body, many theologians and speakers have said that sexual pleasure and orgasms are a foretaste of Heaven.

The human body is described as a mystery of and image of God's love. In heaven we will be one body, one flesh, and one with God , according to Catholic theology.

The Garden of Eden, where both were naked without shame is supposed to be a prefigurement of Heaven.

"I want to tuck you like an animal
I want to feel you from the inside
I want to tuck you like an animal
My whole existence is flawed
You get me closer to god"

Spiderman

Veteran Member

I'm delighted to see you! Glad I have that effect on you. :). :p

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

"Closer" is industrial rock, techno and alternative rock. Elements of funk, avant-garde, and electronic music are utilized in this song . The drum track of "Closer" features a heavily modified bass drum sample from the Iggy Popsong "Nightclubbing" from his album The Idiot. The bass drum in "Nightclubbing" was from a Roland Drum machine, which is sampled in "Closer". Trent Reznor also sampled a Roland TR-808 drum machine, utilizing its "low end" kick. The samples were produced using two Akai S1100 samplers, each with an expander (essentially four samplers). The samples were then combined with beats produced by a Roland R-70 drum machine. The production features sound effects such as a bass squelch, synth echo, and feedback growl.

Radio edits of "Closer" were created by muting the vocal track for the duration of each deleted obscenity.

Lyrically, "Closer" is a song about self-hatred and obsession, but to Reznor's dismay, the song was widely misinterpreted as a lust anthem due to its chorus, which included the line "I wanna **** you like an animal". The song was ranked by VHI in 2003 at number 93 in its countdown of the "100 Greatest Songs of the Past 25 Years." The song was ranked at the number 2 position on AOL's "69 Sexiest Songs of All Time," mostly due to the explicit frankness of the chorus. "Come on dude: 'I wanna f*ck you like an animal'?" remarked drummer Motley Crue and The Downward Spiral contributor Tommy Lee. "That's the all-time f*ck song. Those are pure f*ck beats – Trent Reznor knew what he was doing. You can **** to it, you can dance to it and you can break sh*t to it.

Closer" was shot on a hand-cranked camera from 1919, according to the video's director Mark Romanek. The video contains images of a heart connected to some sort of device; the beat of the heart corresponds to the beat of the song, a nude, bald woman with a crucifix mask, a monkey tied to a cross, a severed pig's head spinning on some type of machine, a diagram of the vulva vagina, and Nine Inch Nail's band member Reznor wearing various fetish gear, such as an S&M mask, bail gag, and long leather gloves while swinging in shackles. Several times, Reznor, wearing leather pants, floats and rotates through the air, suspended by invisible wires. There are also scenes of Reznor being blown back by a wind machine while wearing aviator goggles.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Who knows. I didn't design the body. It's just obvious that sexual pleasure isn't purely for reproduction. Many species masturbate and have non-reproductive sex. Even some female dolphins have another hole that's just for fun. Of course there's homosexuality, as well.
Does it seem to you that Darwin got it wrong, and that there's a greater imperative in evolution than surviving long enough to produce offspring ?

Do you think animals including us have organs of generation just so we can masturbate?

Do you think orgasm would be so pleasurable if the presence of heightened pleasure was not useful in encouraging copulating hence breeding (especially in the male, as you've mentioned, who must do the ejaculating)?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Does it seem to you that Darwin got it wrong, and that there's a greater imperative in evolution than surviving long enough to produce offspring ?

Do you think animals including us have organs of generation just so we can masturbate?

Do you think orgasm would be so pleasurable if the presence of heightened pleasure was not useful in encouraging copulating hence breeding (especially in the male, as you've mentioned, who must do the ejaculating)?
I'm not a scientist. We could have evolved just to have sex for reproduction and the clitoris could've just withered away in female animals. But that's not what happened. I don't know why. Female humans don't even give visible signs of being aroused (especially while clothed) and don't go into heat. They're also only fertile a few days a month. Obviously reproduction is a function of sex but it's obviously not the only one.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Contrary to what most Christians believe, there will be no physical bodies in heaven. The physical body once dead remains dead. It does not rise from the grave.

In heaven we will have spiritual bodies made up of heavenly elements that exist in the heavenly realm. Since they won't be physical, physical pleasure such as sex will not exist in the afterlife.... There will be only spiritual pleasure. Anyone who died attached to the physical pleasures such as sex will be in a hell of their own making because hell is wanting what you can no longer have and having to think about it for eternity. Moreover, anyone who died not even knowing what spiritual pleasures are will be utterly lost. That will also be hell.

We have one chance to acquire what we will need in the afterlife. That is why we were put on this earth, to acquire spiritual virtues. If we waste our lives living for the physical pleasures or other worldly desires we will be utterly lost after we die, but there won't be any way to go back and get what we have lost.

It is not a coincidence that all the Abrahamic scriptures teach the same things about the importance of the spiritual graces as opposed to physical pleasures and it is emphasized so much. It is not as if God has not given us fair warning. If we do not listen and do what is necessary we will pay the price. It is not God that will send us to hell, we will send ourselves to hell by being selfish and attached to this world. It might feel good now but it won't feel good after we die. Eternity is a long time to be in hell.