• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Mormons "Preppy?"

jonny

Do Mormons tend to be preppier than the general public? If you think so, why do you think that is? I just have been thinking about it a little lately because I'm convinced that BYU and BYU-Idaho have got to be two of the preppiest schools in the country (BYU-Idaho more than BYU, but BYU is a close second). Then I was browing around on the profiles on LDS LinkUp - LDS Community Network - The World's Largest LDS Social Network and noticed that half the people look like the stepped out of an Abercrombie & Fitch catalog.

Anyway, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit (or have been in Utah too long), but has anyone else noticed this? Do you think that it has something to do with the obsessions Mormons have with trying to be perfect in just about every way?

Most Mormons tend to be pretty well off - not initially, but eventually. I think this makes it hard for the poorer members of the church to feel like they fit in.

Is Mormonism a religion for "the rich?"

Bishka

Veteran Member
Perhaps some are.

Maybe it's the Molly Mormon mentality that causes it, but I for one am not preppy, nor do I try to be. I think at places like BYU and BYU-Idaho people are trying to outdo each other or look better then the other, other then that, I don't know. (Hopefully that made some sort of sense, I'm sick and kind of tired.)

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Do Mormons tend to be preppier than the general public? If you think so, why do you think that is? I just have been thinking about it a little lately because I'm convinced that BYU and BYU-Idaho have got to be two of the preppiest schools in the country (BYU-Idaho more than BYU, but BYU is a close second). Then I was browing around on the profiles on LDS LinkUp - LDS Community Network - The World's Largest LDS Social Network and noticed that half the people look like the stepped out of an Abercrombie & Fitch catalog.

Anyway, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit (or have been in Utah too long), but has anyone else noticed this? Do you think that it has something to do with the obsessions Mormons have with trying to be perfect in just about every way?

Most Mormons tend to be pretty well off - not initially, but eventually. I think this makes it hard for the poorer members of the church to feel like they fit in.

I think that is more of a BYU problem than a Mormon problem but I have noticed it too.

Also, mormons can't attract members of the opposite sex with tattoo's and piercings or revealing clothes or beer or whatever (apparently that is what they do these days)so we have to use the tools that we can. I personally am quite happy to say that I have never purchased a single thing from Abercrombie, the clothes look great but I refuse to pay that kind of money for clothing.

I don't think mormonism is a religion for the rich, I think if you live the religion you unfortunately become that way. Check out the BoM for evidence of that.

EDIT: I do go to the gym 3 days a week though...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What does "Preppy" mean, It is a totally new word to me.

See post #5 in this thread, Terry. The word originally referred to the style of someone who attended one of America's elite preparatory schools -- the local equivalent of an Eton -- and then (usually) went on to attend an ivy league university like Harvard, Yale, or Princeton.

Reactions: FFH

madhatter85

Transhumanist
LDS members do tend to become well off after thier younger years. they tend to have nice houses, big families and 3 cars.
It's not a "Religion for the Rich" As a general rule members become well off because if you live what we teach, you don't waste your money on gambling, alchohol, partying and nonsenseical things. spending your money on wholesome activites, paying your tithing, taking care of your family.

Malachi 3

10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Aqualung

Tasty
I bet the mormons who choose to go to those schools are among the preppier members, but in my ward, being as it's not near one of those schools, there's only one or two people who I would term preppy.

Again, maybe it's just because my mormon experience has soley been in a singles ward not in Utah, but I haven't seen this, either.

nutshell

Mormons, in general, aren't preppy, IMO.

BYU...probably.

As for being a church for the rich...I don't think so. There are plenty of poor in the church (who do live the standards, MH).

jonny

I think that is more of a BYU problem than a Mormon problem but I have noticed it too.

It probably didn't help that I lived at 'the Belmont' for two years... When people did their beginning-of-the-semester introductions in church, they listed their cars and the private school they attended as "say something interesting about yourself."

I was always jealous that I was the only person in the ward who couldn't book a last minute trip to Hawaii if I needed to relax for the weekend.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
It probably didn't help that I lived at 'the Belmont' for two years... When people did their beginning-of-the-semester introductions in church, they listed their cars and the private school they attended as "say something interesting about yourself."

I was always jealous that I was the only person in the ward who couldn't book a last minute trip to Hawaii if I needed to relax for the weekend.

They sound like such nice people though...:rolleyes: