• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Men being suppressed?

tarasan

I have recently stumbled upon youtube videos with the view that men are in many ways being suppressed by women.

the main perpetrator I have been watching is below:

http://www.youtube.com/my_subscriptions?feature=mhee&s=nzct4fGghX-8xjtJgYcibozJs_10TqHdZ6OA_CqqKTM

so any RF do you think that men in this day and age are being suppressed? if you do or don't then why do you hold your view?

what do you think of the MRA or mens rights association? (hope Ive gotten the name right)

thanks for your time:angel2:

Viker

Häxan
Are Men being suppressed?

No. At least not in a broad sense. It's possible some have been but I see no concerted pattern. There may be cases of violations of individual rights. I usually don't support group advocacy. I support individual rights which covers everyone, men, women, gays, trans-gendered, blacks, Hispanics, etc.

nnmartin

tarasan: can you give some more details - for a start I can't download that video and this sounds like it could be an interesting thread.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
The rules are changing for men but we are not at a disadvantage. From my viewpoint, the situation is much like playing golf. We have the women's teas and we have handicaps, but for the most part we still win the match.

There are always exceptions and there has been more parity in recent years, but the facts still remain that men still achieve more.

I admit there are still bias and good ol boy networks, but no one is stopping women from forming these groups as well.

Eventually women may catch up, but until we need to remove the tools necessary to accomplish this goal, men will remain on top.

There was a reason they where there in the first place. What ever that reason was could be duplicated one would think.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Men have it better than ever. All the advantages with none of the responsibility, if we don't want it. Any man who complains about being a man these days would be a loser regardless of the situation.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
"There is no reason to be a man when it's this easy. And if you question my manhood with your over the top feminism; I will become more violent and show you I'm a man." ~ My wonderful brother

Straw Dog

I have recently stumbled upon youtube videos with the view that men are in many ways being suppressed by women.

http://www.youtube.com/my_subscriptions?feature=mhee&s=nzct4fGghX-8xjtJgYcibozJs_10TqHdZ6OA_CqqKTM

so any RF do you think that men in this day and age are being suppressed? if you do or don't then why do you hold your view?

what do you think of the MRA or mens rights association? (hope Ive gotten the name right)

What makes a man? Is it preparing to do the right thing at whatever the cost? Or is it just a matter of having a pair of testicles? I think a lot of apparent differences between men and women are probably just gender roles being imposed onto the sexes by the greater society.

You know, men like sports and cars while women like shopping and shoes. And yet, you could find thousands of women who don't care for shoes and excel at sports or men who love shopping while not giving a hoot about cars. I certainly don't care for sports and cars much at all, but my girlfriend and I both love playing video games together. Are there any deeper differences between men and women really that I'm neglecting besides the purely biological? Are there any profound differences in our thinking really outside what we've been conditioned to think by society?

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I dont think men are being suppressed in the way that I think you're implying, but I do think that men are being suppressed in a different way, a way that women are also being suppressed. That way, is the media stereotypes that try to dictate the way men and women should be. Though if women do not fit these stereotypes, they are not considered attractive, if a man doesn't fit certain stereotypes, then he is not considered a man and sometimes his sexuality is questioned.

Random

The real thing to understand is men suppressing other men, not woman suppressing men. Even the strongest and most noble of men can be laid low and his confidence disabused by a gang or cabal of other, lesser men. Only the weakest of men is suppressed by a woman.

4consideration

Premium Member
I didn't take the time to watch the video, so this is just a comment on the question -- not the video.

I can't say for sure that I have notice suppression of men, but I have noticed that fathers are portrayed in commercials and TV shows as if they are idiots, or just goofy (and usually lazy.) I notice this especially in children's TV shows.

Just observe any TV commercial or show where the character is the father role and see if you notice that it happens a lot. Hardly ever to do I see a father represented to be a reasonable and intelligent person.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I didn't take the time to watch the video, so this is just a comment on the question -- not the video.

I can't say for sure that I have notice suppression of men, but I have noticed that fathers are portrayed in commercials and TV shows as if they are idiots, or just goofy (and usually lazy.) I notice this especially in children's TV shows.

Just observe any TV commercial or show where the character is the father role and see if you notice that it happens a lot. Hardly ever to do I see a father represented to be a reasonable and intelligent person.

Yes, this is good. It makes women not expect anything of us. Use this extra time to do something you enjoy, while your wife runs around doing everything and feeling superior.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
The real thing to understand is men suppressing other men, not woman suppressing men. Even the strongest and most noble of men can be laid low and his confidence disabused by a gang or cabal of other, lesser men. Only the weakest of men is suppressed by a woman.
At one point in men's history has this not been the case? Guys have always been picking on other guys and just being guys. The role of the women has gone through a far more radical transformation then that of man.

Random

At one point in men's history has this not been the case? Guys have always been picking on other guys and just being guys. The role of the women has gone through a far more radical transformation then that of man.

Yes true, I agree. But what sets men against men is different from that which sets men against women, or women against men.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
I think to an extent there is a certain amount of 'positive' discrimination, aimed at 'restoring balance' and what not, be it for gender or racial equality; of course this benefits those formerly oppressed groups (and yes they were oppressed, and it was unwarranted and a vile practice) at the expense of those who were not oppressed (white men). And any attempt to redress this, or to have situations which favour men over women are considered sexist while the reverse is not true (this also applies for race).

I know for example in Australia while I was studying, there were a host of different scholarships that I was ineligible for simply because I am male or because I am not an Australian Aboriginal.

Is that discrimination? Yes. Is it justified? That's more of a grey area.

Viker

Häxan

I wouldn't know about that stuff too much. I don't watch TV or pay attention to the media very closely. On what I watch, Walking Dead and Sons of Anarchy, men clearly are not in the weak or "oppressed" roles.

4consideration

Premium Member
Yes, this is good. It makes women not expect anything of us. Use this extra time to do something you enjoy, while your wife runs around doing everything and feeling superior.

No can do. I'm the wife. I'm the one that noticed it, not my husband.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight

I think I need more specifics. Do you mean oppressed? Or suppressed in certain ways?

Pretty much the same as my thoughts on various women's rights orgs - they vary from group to group. Some are spiteful, some are helpful. There's one group in...I think Oregon, that helps men with paternity rights, which I think is very needed. I would donate my time or money to a group like that. But there are some that claim that women have never been victimized, and that feminism as a whole is a sham.

What's caught my interest is that more men's rights groups are religiously backed than women's rights groups. Women's groups in general abound in religious settings, as long as they're based on motherhood, losing weight, being a Godly woman, etc. But not regarding civil rights. I think that has the potential to polarize and cloud some issues - and already has.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
I wouldn't know about that stuff too much. I don't watch TV or pay attention to the media very closely. On what I watch, Walking Dead and Sons of Anarchy, men clearly are not in the weak or "oppressed" roles.

I just had a conversation about that show and gender roles with someone. I read an article that listed the top women in various fields. One was a Hollywood producer. She said 97% of Hollywood execs are male. That's a higher rate than almost any other industry! It got me wondering about how thoroughly media messages pervade our views. The media clearly influences our behaviors, and it's not healthy that one gender is so very lacking in shaping that influence.

I'll try to find the article.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Does that mean portrayals of females as princesses (assuming the roles are reversed from your description) is empowering?

There are multiple narratives in American culture. Some, like the negative portrayal of fathers as buffoons run against the dominant-patriarchal ideology. It does not mean the dominant ideology is no longer dominant. Cultural resistance always springs up in a myriad of places.

tarasan

sorry peeps there seems to be some confusion sorry for the mix the mix up the above link is to a youtube channel not an actual video.

Also I am not claiming that i agree or not agree with these videos it was just something that I thought would be fun to talk about. Ill give you a sample of the videos here:

Misogyny 1+2
[youtube]AWyW3TPutgs[/youtube]
45: Misogyny 2 - (1 of 2) - YouTube
[youtube]Oqb2icrpVVM[/youtube]
45: Misogyny 2 - (2 of 2) - YouTube

Equality- war 1-3

[youtube]2mOhmXDz3Jw[/youtube]
Equality - War - 1/3 - (Repost) - YouTube
[youtube]55TTbJDCX8o[/youtube]
Equality - War - 2/3 - YouTube
[youtube]u8d-W4UATfw[/youtube]
Equality - War - 3/3 - YouTube