• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are men and women equally intelligent?

otokage007

Well, before you throw your tomatoes at my face, I just opened this thread because I think it is an interesting topic that will bring a very hectic discussion, and I love that kind of debates! I will not say now in which side i'm standing, I do not want this to turn into a battle in my favor or against me. But... To start with something juicy, just say that men have a higher average cranial volume, hence more brain capacity. Does this mean that men's "best" in terms of intelligence, is higher than the average woman could reach? Hummm... :flirt:

3 ....
2 ...
1 ...

Fire!

Oh and please, do not make sexist comments, even if I've started with some subtle sexism to encourage you to post! ;)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it depends on the man/woman in question. I don't think there's a hard-and-fast rule that states either gender is more intelligent than the other.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
And here I just got done saying in another thread that intelligence - in addition to being a nebulous term with dozens of ways of being defined and quantified - is overrated.

I don't care. I'm not interested in penis size contests of any sort. This is yet another one of those.

Alceste

Vagabond
Well, before you throw your tomatoes at my face, I just opened this thread because I think it is an interesting topic that will bring a very hectic discussion, and I love that kind of debates! I will not say now in which side i'm standing, I do not want this to turn into a battle in my favor or against me. But... To start with something juicy, just say that men have a higher average cranial volume, hence more brain capacity. Does this mean that men's "best" in terms of intelligence, is higher than the average woman could reach? Hummm... :flirt:

3 ....
2 ...
1 ...

Fire!

Oh and please, do not make sexist comments, even if I've started with some subtle sexism to encourage you to post! ;)

I've looked it up for you. You can thank me later. :D It seems that in Western technological societies, women are now performing equally well or better than men on IQ tests. Previously, some studies found a difference of about 4 to 5 points, in favour of men. The thinking is that women have made progress in overcoming certain disadvantages to the development of higher brain functioning, such as more penetration into the workforce, which demands more of the kind of intelligence measured by IQ tests than, say, spending all day, every day with a two year old.

I don't think men are particularly intelligent, but then I don't think anybody is particularly intelligent. I scored in the 99th percentile on IQ tests, according to my guidance counselor in high school, who was appalled that I had decided university was going to be a waste of my time and money. I know that little piece of personal history is going to draw a few derisive flames, but to me saying you have a high IQ is like someone saying they're really tall, so **** the begrudgers.

Since I expect an impartial analysis of the available research on IQ and gender was not quite what you had in mind when you started this thread, I will leave you with these thoughts:

http://youtu.be/kTDvCLAT8hg

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member

3 ....
2 ...
1 ...

Fire!

I doubt that it could ever be categorically stated that either gender is more intelligent than the other. Though I do think it is likely that, on average, men and women have different intellectual strengths. But even that wouldn't be a hard and fast rule.

I do think that historically women have been denied equal academic access, denied the ability to hone or explore their intellectual abilities. But this has nothing to do with their inate ability, but with the opportunities they were denied.

Oh, and Neanderthal's also had a bigger cranial volume than homo sapiens. Does that mean they were more intelligent? ;)

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Having an IQ doesn't always equal having common sense.
Just sayin'! :p

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I know that I've scored very well on many an IQ test back in the day.

I know I aced all my tests in school, was a National Honor Student, graduated in the top 5% of my class, originally went to college to become a chemical engineer with a full ride scholarship offered to me from 4 different colleges, turned around and got my degree in the arts and was on the Deans List every semester, and then have my grad work archived in NYC and has been referenced by current grad students as a scholarly source.

I know that even though I know what I know, I know that I have a lot to learn.

But in spite of how my brain might be viewed, I also know that I have an uncanny power of wiping out the IQ's of others when I flip my long hair and sway my hips when I walk. Hence, at the moment, I rely on my brain, but I rely on my *** even more to be an influence or to get what I want.

Skwim

Veteran Member
otokage007 said:
Are men and women equally intelligent?
No. :slap: Men with an IQ of 120 are more intelligent than women with an IQ of 16, and women with an IQ of 125
are more intelligent than men with an IQ of 85.

Kerr

3 ....
2 ...
1 ...

Fire!

I dont think men are more intelligent then women. Never once have I noticed that women would be less intelligent then men. Also, from what I understand, brain size doesnt say that much about intelligence.

MD

qualiaphile
This is a very complicated subject, since there are many types of intelligence and many factors which go into developing intelligence. IQ is not a very accurate way of comparing intelligence.

My personal opinion is that I think on average women are more intelligent than men from an IQ perspective but when comparing the highest percentiles, men far exceed women in all fields. This becomes apparent when viewing the best scientists, philosophers, mathematicians, lawyers, artists, etc.

However I realize that my opinion itself is flawed because of many reasons. Patriarchy, motherhood, capitalism, etc are all strains on women. Our society even today is built by men for men, the leaders of the world are men, the financial markets are run by men and technology is a male dominated field which fuels the economy. So the overall system is biased towards men. I know I sound like a feminist (yikes!) but I feel that as long as our current system exists, there will never be true equality.

That being said I think the educational system is biased against boys. This is because of the way we're taught, group based learning, participation, etc. Males thrive off competition, it's what drives us. Group work pretty much destroys that. I know we're supposed to work in teams, but in some classes...that's all we did! And we all got good grades on top! What was the point after all? I just coasted through school, it was only in college that I was challenged and it was in college where I discovered my potential.

Also some people think grades and intelligence are strongly correlated. I would strongly disagree. To me grades suggest work ethic more than intelligence.

Alceste

Vagabond
This is a very complicated subject, since there are many types of intelligence and many factors which go into developing intelligence. IQ is not a very accurate way of comparing intelligence.

My personal opinion is that I think on average women are more intelligent than men from an IQ perspective but when comparing the highest percentiles, men far exceed women in all fields. This becomes apparent when viewing the best scientists, philosophers, mathematicians, lawyers, artists, etc.

However I realize that my opinion itself is flawed because of many reasons. Patriarchy, motherhood, capitalism, etc are all strains on women. Our society even today is built by men for men, the leaders of the world are men, the financial markets are run by men and technology is a male dominated field which fuels the economy. So the overall system is biased towards men. I know I sound like a feminist (yikes!) but I feel that as long as our current system exists, there will never be true equality.

That being said I think the educational system is biased against boys. This is because of the way we're taught, group based learning, participation, etc. Males thrive off competition, it's what drives us. Group work pretty much destroys that. I know we're supposed to work in teams, but in some classes...that's all we did! And we all got good grades on top! What was the point after all? I just coasted through school, it was only in college that I was challenged and it was in college where I discovered my potential.

Also some people think grades and intelligence are strongly correlated. I would strongly disagree. To me grades suggest work ethic more than intelligence.

Nope. I got awesome grades without even bothering to go to school over 60% the time. I often did my homework for one class while the teacher was droning on about something else, and doodled, napped or wrote notes to my friends the rest of the time. I almost never took work home and only studied for one single test, for about ten minutes, in my entire high school career. That was my final exam in grade 12 math, and I needed to study because I had skipped every single class in an entire unit. My "studying" involved reading a few paragraphs in the text book. I got 95% on that exam, and graduated with honours.

Work ethic? I don't think so. School grades were more instrumental than any other influence in my life in making me lazy.

otokage007

:)

But in spite of how my brain might be viewed, I also know that I have an uncanny power of wiping out the IQ's of others when I flip my long hair and sway my hips when I walk. Hence, at the moment, I rely on my brain, but I rely on my *** even more to be an influence or to get what I want.

And the award of the best answer goes to... :D

However I realize that my opinion itself is flawed because of many reasons. Patriarchy, motherhood, capitalism, etc are all strains on women. Our society even today is built by men for men, the leaders of the world are men, the financial markets are run by men and technology is a male dominated field which fuels the economy.

Just pointing that Europe’s financial market is ruled by german Chancellor Angela Merkel, and she’s a woman (although I can’t really ensure her gender ;))

So the overall system is biased towards men. I know I sound like a feminist (yikes!) but I feel that as long as our current system exists, there will never be true equality.

Well, I think intelligence really helps in some careers.

But now that you have mentioned the “many types of intelligence”, I have in my hands one one of these summations which often makes Scientific American. This particular one is the number 28: The Conscience. Inside is a very interesting article about the differences between the brains of men and women (apologies because right now I could not find it on the Internet, but I’m sure it is ;)). Here are some things they say:

Problems best resolved by women:
-Perceptual speed: Very quickly identification of similar objects.
-Short-term memory: in the experiment they had a group of objects, then some of them were suppressed. Women did better in pointing which objects disappeared.
-Fluidity of ideation and verbal fluidity: they were ordered to list objects of the same color, or words beginning with the same letter.
-Fine-motor coordination: women did better than men in manual accuracy tests.
-Mathematical calculation: women performed better on tests of mental arithmetic with addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but I have a friend who really beats me in all this! Except fluidity tests which I have not tryed, lol. Let's see what guys can do:

-Space-Perception: men identified better the correct three-dimensional shape of an object in 2D. Now that I remember, I once read an article that said that the men had "evolved" into a better spatial perception because they were responsible for hunting and exploration in the past.
-Aim: performed better than women on tests such as directing a dart towards a target. This may also have to do with our past as hunters?
-Disengaging: in one test, a simple geometric shape was hidden into a more complex one. Men did better at finding it.
-Mathematical Reasoning: While women won on calculating, when presented with mathematical reasoning problems, men performed better.

Finally, Simon LeVay, attributes these differences to "one interstitial nucleus of the anterior hypothalamus," whose anatomy is different in men and women.

So, what do u think? :)

Wirey

Fartist
We got football, beer, fart jokes, and guaranteed orgasms.

They got menstrual cramps, yakking about relationships, feminine protection decisions (feminine protection? mauve can of mace?), and worrying about ankle fat.

Gee, I wonder who was smart enough to get in the right group there. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I propose a multi-faceted intelligence test:
- Write your name in the snow.
- Replace a light bulb in a ceiling fixture without a ladder.
- Belch volume.
- Name a variety of wrenches.
- Perform 3 Stooges shtick.

We'll finally see who is smarter....women or men!