• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are meat and bhaang disallowed in Dharmic religion?

ronki23

In such cases we would not consider the passage authentic but an interpolation and reject it. Kalki will not battle Buddhists. Kali will not battle even Abrahamics if they are foll/wing their own dharma (illustrated by a verse from Gita above). If Jesus will battle idol worshipers then the world will reject him. Already so many Christians reject Jesus. The mlechchas should understand that the world is changing fast and should not stick to false beliefs. I am a strong atheist, I give two hoots for judgments. I am my own judge.

What verse said he will not battle sinners? Why would he battle the Buddhists if Buddha is an avatar of Vishnu?

The Mleccans must refer to idol worshippers and non-Abrahamics.

But if Kalki and Jesus are one in the same (as both have yet to return to Earth on judgement day and ride white horses) then Mleccans, Buddhists, idol worshippers,etc. must refer to sinners as Mleccans think Dharmics are sinners and vice versa

kalki_sword.jpg

Shantanu

Dharma is the optimum path of 'spiritual progress', for a specific individual, spiritual progress being mind expansion and the eventual, sudden "quantum shifts" to new levels of consciousness.

As for who's dharma is better, the question is meaningless. The blueprint for your life is ideal for your life. The blueprint for your sister's, your neighbor's or your dog's life will be ideal for theirs. Everyone's dharma is different, though they may share certain aspects.
So you will not take orders from anyone to do something different to what you are doing?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What verse said he will not battle sinners? Why would he battle the Buddhists if Buddha is an avatar of Vishnu?

The Mleccans must refer to idol worshippers and non-Abrahamics.
[QUOTE="Jainarayan]"śreyān sva-dharmo viguṇaḥ, para-dharmāt sv-anuṣṭhitāt;
svabhāva-niyataḿ karma, kurvan nāpnoti kilbiṣam."

"It is better to engage in one’s own duty, even though one may perform it imperfectly, than to accept another’s duty and perform it perfectly. Duties prescribed according to one’s nature are never affected by sinful reactions." Bhagavad Gita 18.47[/QUOTE]

If an Abrahamic is true to his duties according to rules in his belief and is acting humanely, Kalki will not see any sin in that. That Kalki will battle Buddha is interpolation and not true. Mlechchas means the evil, those with bad intentions (Mala + Ichcha = Bad + Intention).

ronki23

[QUOTE="Jainarayan]"śreyān sva-dharmo viguṇaḥ, para-dharmāt sv-anuṣṭhitāt;
svabhāva-niyataḿ karma, kurvan nāpnoti kilbiṣam."

"It is better to engage in one’s own duty, even though one may perform it imperfectly, than to accept another’s duty and perform it perfectly. Duties prescribed according to one’s nature are never affected by sinful reactions." Bhagavad Gita 18.47

If an Abrahamic is true to his duties according to rules in his belief and is acting humanely, Kalki will not see any sin in that. That Kalki will battle Buddha is interpolation and not true. Mlechchas means the evil, those with bad intentions (Mala + Ichcha = Bad + Intention).[/QUOTE]

How has that quote got anything to do with Kalki?

Mlechacha has been wrongfully translated as 'Meccans' by those who say Muhammad is in Bhavishya Purana

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
How has that quote got anything to do with Kalki?

Mlechacha has been wrongfully translated as 'Meccans' by those who say Muhammad is in Bhavishya Purana.
Kalki will be an avatara of Lord Vishnu and since BhgawadGita is propounded by Krishna, who also is an avatara of Lord Vishnu, so all are basically the same. Rama and Buddha too were avataras of Lord Vishnu. That is why it applies to Kalki. Only that avatars appear at different times. What one says is true for others too.

For the second query, you have to ask the writer of that passage in Bhavishya Purana, but IMHO, there must be some meritorious people in Mekkah and among Muslims too.

Shantanu

I'm questioning its meaning more that its reason. Could you rephrase it?
The meaning is related to what you said that everyone has his or her own dharma and therefore does whatever pleases them individually. But in life we are frequently taking orders to do this or that, as when we are employed doing work for someone or if we are following a teacher on morals or religion. Only an exceptional person does things entirely to his or her own liking (is his own guru like @Aupmanyav) and so has his or her own dharma.

If we listen to others and do things differently we are changing our dharma. I for example surrender to God and get my dharma from Him.

Is the meaning clearer now?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The meaning is related to what you said that everyone has his or her own dharma and therefore does whatever pleases them individually. But in life we are frequently taking orders to do this or that, as when we are employed doing work for someone or if we are following a teacher on morals or religion. Only an exceptional person does things entirely to his or her own liking (is his own guru like @Aupmanyav) and so has his or her own dharma.

Is the meaning clearer now?
Yes. Thanks for the explanation. However, I think you've misconstrued my meaning. I did say we each have our own dharma, but I didn't say anything about doing what one pleases. The ideal spiritual path is to do your dharma, not do whatever you please. Of course, there's nothing compelling you to do your dharma, and, as you say, there are people pulling you in all sorts of different directions.
We just do the best we can.
If we listen to others and do things differently we are changing our dharma. I for example surrender to God and get my dharma from Him.
If we do things differently we may be bucking our dharma; swimming against the current, so to speak, but we're not changing it.
Dharma's inborn. We can no more change it than we can change our race or genetic code. The only way to escape it is to transcend it.

Shantanu

Yes. Thanks for the explanation. However, I think you've misconstrued my meaning. I did say we each have our own dharma, but I didn't say anything about doing what one pleases. The ideal spiritual path is to do your dharma, not do whatever you please. Of course, there's nothing compelling you to do your dharma, and, as you say, there are people pulling you in all sorts of different directions.
We just do the best we can.
If we do things differently we may be bucking our dharma; swimming against the current, so to speak, but we're not changing it.
Dharma's inborn. We can no more change it than we can change our race or genetic code. The only way to escape it is to transcend it.

That is excellent Valjean: our dharma comes from the particular blend of sattvic, rajasic or tamasic gunas that we are constituted by, and we act accordingly. When someone else tells us what to do it means that we are transcending our innnate qualities of dharma. This happens when we are either forced to listen to others as in a job or willingly do so out of respect for a guru. The greatest guru or jagadguru is God that we can transcend to and let Him modify our innate dharma in whatever way He pleases or thinks right for us. Transcending innate dharma comes from surrendering to an employer, a guru or God Himself.

Doing things as one pleases means that we are exhibiting our dharma precisely.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That is excellent Valjean: our dharma comes from the particular blend of sattvic, rajasic or tamasic gunas that we are constituted by, and we act accordingly.
I really have no idea of the mechanisms of dharma, or of consciousness, either. These are questions of theoretical physics, and I don't know of any physicists studying this. I probably wouldn't understand it even if we did have answers.

When someone else tells us what to do it means that we are transcending our innnate qualities of dharma. This happens when we are either forced to listen to others as in a job or willingly do so out of respect for a guru. The greatest guru or jagadguru is God that we can transcend to and let Him modify our innate dharma in whatever way He pleases or thinks right for us. Transcending innate dharma comes from surrendering to an employer, a guru or God Himself.
This is not my understanding of transcendence.

Transcendence occurs when dharma no longer applies to you; when you're no longer a part of this world.

Keep in mind, you're dreaming this world, just as you were dreaming another world last night. Dharma only applies to the world you're subjectively experiencing.
Eg: when you wake from sleep you transcend your dreaming reality. You're no longer the person you dreamed yourself to be, and the situations and interactions in your dream become as insubstantial as smoke.

Waking state is just another level of dream, and the goal of all these yogas and spiritual observances is to alter or shock your brain into "waking up" into the next stage of consciousness -- at which point the world and situations we presently perceive as 'real' will be revealed to be just as illusory as last night's dream.
Once we wake to this next stage of consciousness we've transcended our dharma. Dharma involves our relationship to our current dream world. Once the dream world is gone; once we wake up, dharma becomes moot.

Doing things as one pleases means that we are exhibiting our dharma precisely.
I know they say that doing one's dharma is "going with the flow," and that it's supposed to be the most effortless path through life. I'm skeptical, though. It seems like it's the people who discipline themselves and undertake difficult yogic practices who are most likely to shake themselves awake.
I haven't seen any statistical studies of this, though, so this is just speculation.

Shantanu

Transcendence occurs when dharma no longer applies to you; when you're no longer a part of this world.

Keep in mind, you're dreaming this world, just as you were dreaming another world last night. Dharma only applies to the world you're subjectively experiencing.
Eg: when you wake from sleep you transcend your dreaming reality. You're no longer the person you dreamed yourself to be, and the situations and interactions in your dream become as insubstantial as smoke.

Waking state is just another level of dream, and the goal of all these yogas and spiritual observances is to alter or shock your brain into "waking up" into the next stage of consciousness -- at which point the world and situations we presently perceive as 'real' will be revealed to be just as illusory as last night's dream.
Once we wake to this next stage of consciousness we've transcended our dharma. Dharma involves our relationship to our current dream world. Once the dream world is gone; once we wake up, dharma becomes moot.

I know they say that doing one's dharma is "going with the flow," and that it's supposed to be the most effortless path through life. I'm skeptical, though. It seems like it's the people who discipline themselves and undertake difficult yogic practices who are most likely to shake themselves awake.
I haven't seen any statistical studies of this, though, so this is just speculation.

I cannot seem to detach myself away from this current dream world, because every morning I get up I have to brush my teeth and every day I must have a bath, etc: can you give any pointers to how I might achieve the detachment from this dream world?

Stormcry

Why would Kalki battle Buddhists if Buddha is an incarnation of Vishnu?
Buddha was a deceptive incarnation of Vishnu to attract Atheists and misguided Brahmins and to control incessant animal slaughter.

Why would Kalki battle Buddhists? The answer is simple. Because they challenge the authority of Veda. And if Kalki wants to establish Vedic religion in Satya Yuga as it's always been like that, he has to put an end to Buddhism.

Also, Mlecchans also believe Jesus will come again and battle the idol worshippers.
Let him do that. We have Kalki to fight with Jesus. :D

Last edited:

ajay0

There is no rigid rules in dharmic religions, except perhaps for Jainism, to consume only vegetarian food.

Vegetarian food is only considered superior to non-vegetarian, for spiritual/mental benefits of calmness, mental clarity and peace.

The kind of food you take definitely have an effect on the mind. Hence food should be taken prudently and properly.

If you have any doubts, watch 'The Hangover' .

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Buddha was a deceptive incarnation of Vishnu to attract Atheists and misguided Brahmins and to control incessant animal slaughter.

Why would Kalki battle Buddhists? The answer is simple. Because they challenge the authority of Veda. And if Kalki wants to establish Vedic religion in Satya Yuga as it's always been like that, he has to put an end to Buddhism.

Let him do that. We have Kalki to fight with Jesus. :D

With respect, do not agree with this.