• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are love and fear both good for turning to G-d?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

People abide the Law in love of their country. Right, please?
People also abide the Law for fear of the fine and punishments prescribed in the law for the crimes. Right, please?
No harm if they do it for love and or fear. Right, please?

Regards

[19:97]اِنَّ الَّذِیۡنَ اٰمَنُوۡا وَ عَمِلُوا الصّٰلِحٰتِ سَیَجۡعَلُ لَہُمُ الرَّحۡمٰنُ وُدًّا ﴿۹۷﴾
Those who believe and do good deeds — the Gracious God will create love in their hearts.

The Holy Quran - Chapter: 19: Maryam

[76:11]اِنَّا نَخَافُ مِنۡ رَّبِّنَا یَوۡمًا عَبُوۡسًا قَمۡطَرِیۡرًا ﴿۱۱﴾
‘Verily, we fear from our Lord a frowning and distressful day.’
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 76: Ad-Dahr

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In practice, people acting out of fear tend to do just enough to "get by", while people acting out of love tend to do as much as they can.

As an analogy, would you want to be operated on by a heart surgeon that was only going to do enough to get by, or by a heart surgeon who was going to give you his or her best effort?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

People also abide the Law for fear of the fine and punishments prescribed in the law for the crimes. Right, please?
No harm if they do it for love and or fear. Right, please/

Regards

Some people do. I think with god is it mostly fear. If one can only love god, thinking about not loving him in analogy wouldn't harm just give a new perspective. When one feels uncomfortable as if they are doubting god in the process, it sounds more of fear of god's reaction of "sinning" rather than seeing other people's point of view. That's a mild example of fearing god as opposed to just love instead.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Regards

[19:97]اِنَّ الَّذِیۡنَ اٰمَنُوۡا وَ عَمِلُوا الصّٰلِحٰتِ سَیَجۡعَلُ لَہُمُ الرَّحۡمٰنُ وُدًّا ﴿۹۷﴾
Those who believe and do good deeds — the Gracious God will create love in their hearts.

Fear is for them there evil-doers.
Are you an evil doer?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Regards

Love and Fear are poor motivationx to turning toward the 'Source' some called God(s), because we turn to what we 'Love and Fear' and not God.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
In practice, people acting out of fear tend to do just enough to "get by", while people acting out of love tend to do as much as they can.

As an analogy, would you want to be operated on by a heart surgeon that was only going to do enough to get by, or by a heart surgeon who was going to give you his or her best effort?
Those who do good out of love of G-d or out of love of the needy person or out of love of goodness are best people, but everybody is not like that some or many people do good for fear of the punishment. Right, please?

Regards

danieldemol

Premium Member

Regards

I tend to agree with @Sunstone on this, although if I needed that heart surgeon badly enough and one who was going to give his/her all was not available, i’d still take the minimal efforts of the other.

Having said that I would add that fear should not be blind fear, or love be blind love. There are plenty of people who have such a blind love or fear of God that they hold onto antiquated manmade laws that are harmful to humanity.

They may be likened to some extent to a heart surgeon who uses the wrong tools or wrong procedures for the job. In this case his/her love or fear will be of no benefit to the patient.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Fear applied in the form of restraint and awe can be very useful for creating an environment conducive to spiritual pursuits. Otherwise, the vessel is already full.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Those who do good out of love of G-d or out of love of the needy person or out of love of goodness are best people, but everybody is not like that some or many people do good for fear of the punishment. Right, please?

Regards

Love is not a motivator. Love is a description of how I act. IOW, I act how I act. I don't think "Hey, I love this person" so I should act in a certain way towards them. I just go about life doing. Some may see what I do and call it love. Some may see what I do and call it fear.

For me, there is simply no other way to act.

If a God exists and approves what I do, good I guess. If not um... sorry? I can't be other than what I am.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Fear applied in the form of restraint and awe can be very useful for creating an environment conducive to spiritual pursuits. Otherwise, the vessel is already full.
I appreciate one's input, however, I don't get one on what I have colored in magenta. Please elaborate it.

Regards

74x12

Regards

Of course, but if you turn to God through fear alone it should eventually turn to love or you're not maturing and need to figure out why you aren't. Because that's a problem. Fear won't motivate people forever. People will eventually become frustrated, impatient with fear and so they will not last.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
"Fear is for them there evil-doers."

Not necessarily.
Those who love their parents fear also that they don't make them angry. Right, please?

Regards

I don't know, my parents hated me. Not that I judge them but their actions were what they were. There's no feelings wrt parents I can relate to.

Do I fear to make my wife angry? No, she can be angry if she chooses. She knows she has to accept me for who I am. Sometimes she gets angry but not much I can do about that. I can't pretend to be someone else just to try and keep her from being angry.

Well I could but I wouldn't. I see no benefit in pretending to be something I am not.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Love is not a motivator. Love is a description of how I act. IOW, I act how I act. I don't think "Hey, I love this person" so I should act in a certain way towards them. I just go about life doing. Some may see what I do and call it love. Some may see what I do and call it fear.

For me, there is simply no other way to act.

If a God exists and approves what I do, good I guess. If not um... sorry? I can't be other than what I am.
Everybody has some ideal of goodness in one's heart. One could endeavor to achieve it. Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Of course, but if you turn to God through fear alone it should eventually turn to love or you're not maturing and need to figure out why you aren't. Because that's a problem. Fear won't motivate people forever. People will eventually become frustrated, impatient with fear and so they will not last.
One could start with fear of G-d and then could resort to love G-d and goodness. Right, please?

Regards

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Everybody has some ideal of goodness in one's heart. One could endeavor to achieve it. Right, please?

Regards

I don't know what good is. I suspect good and bad can be the same thing. People just choose to judge it as one or the other. I'm not all-knowing so I see myself as making such judgements a bit audacious.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Not sure why someone will fear a God? What a person maybe would fear is his/her own lack of ability to do what God has asked of humans to be saved from what we experience here on earth. If someone does little to nothing of better themself in the hope of being saved, then why would they fear God?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I don't know what good is. I suspect good and bad can be the same thing. People just choose to judge it as one or the other. I'm not all-knowing so I see myself as making such judgements a bit audacious.
Thanks for expressing one's thoughts.

Regards