• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are liberals more charitable than conservatives on average?

On average

• The average liberal is more charitable

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • The average conservative is more charitable

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • I have no opinion either way

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Sorry that I still remember this reality, but I do. I consider LDS a personal enemy on a huge scale.
Not every single one, @Katzpur is an excellent person. So excellent, I don't really consider her a true Mormon.
:) Part of me is flattered. The other part of me isn't quite sure what she thinks, Tom. So, the part of me that is flattered thanks you.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I expect the LDS to endorse queer marriage before any comparable denomination does.
Tom
They respect the law, they don't excommunicate for it, and they need to be respect all of those people, but the Temples have reasoning that means they do not want to marry that way in the Temple.

It's not so insensible. A gay LDS person would want to have kids and a lot of gay people have kids anyway (not adopting, although with adoption we have a great tolerance too).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Sorry that I still remember this reality, but I do. I consider LDS a personal enemy on a huge scale.
Not every single one, @Katzpur is an excellent person. So excellent, I don't really consider her a true Mormon.
Thats pretty much how I feel about it. The Mormon church, as a whole, has been pretty nasty to different sorts of people. And still are. Some members are wonderful people. But the same can't be said for a larger part of their church, those who drive it's reputation and history of discrimination.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Jesus was a homeless bum. Was he worried about looking nice in his Sunday best to look respectable? Of course not. He was poor, homeless, and lived on what others gave him.
Temples get a lot of traffic. The prettiness of them is organic to the way they are used.

SoyLeche

meh...
Jesus was a homeless bum. Was he worried about looking nice in his Sunday best to look respectable? Of course not. He was poor, homeless, and lived on what others gave him.
He still seemed to like the lavish temple in Jerusalem... enough to get all out of character when he saw people disrespecting it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Temples get a lot of traffic. The prettiness of them is organic to the way they are used.
Its not necessary to have lavish temples. Jesus commanded that money go to the poor, not building eleaborate buildings of worship.
He still seemed to like the lavish temple in Jerusalem... enough to get all out of character when he saw people disrespecting it.
Tbat speaks mpre of seeing the utility of a temple as sacred than upholding lavish and gawdy design.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Its not necessary to have lavish temples. Jesus commanded that money go to the poor, not building eleaborate buildings of worship.
I don't think that the structure was too important to Jesus. He cared about what was going on inside of it. Which included cheating the poor to line the pockets of the well-to-do. Many, even most, of whom were collaborating with the pagan Roman oppressors.
I think that's what really got Him angry.
Tom

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

Tbat speaks mpre of seeing the utility of a temple as sacred than upholding lavish and gawdy design.
Solomon was commanded to build an ornate temple. So were the Jews with the tabernacle I think. We give a great deal to the poor.

We also have mini-temples in some areas which are not lavish at all.

SoyLeche

meh...
They are still pretty lavish*, just smaller.

*by "lavish" I mean really nice looking and probably a bit pricy to build and maintain (quality materials, nice workmanship, etc). We aren't talking about a bunch of gold relics or anything like that.

SoyLeche

meh...

*by "lavish" I mean really nice looking and probably a bit pricy to build and maintain (quality materials, nice workmanship, etc). We aren't talking about a bunch of gold relics or anything like that.

Note: I would really like the LDS church to be more transparent about its finances. I'd like to see the split in funds going towards general operations, temple construction and maintenance, missionary work, charity, etc.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

Mormon_Temple_Lincoln_Square.jpg

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I think that liberals are more charitable than conservatives. But the difference is small and spotty.
I think it's crucial to be precise about the terms. I've known many theologically conservative Christian people who take Jesus' Message about not judging and taking care of "the least" very seriously. Their voting records and volunteerism and staunch support of charitable endeavors, regardless of their opinions of the behavior, makes them very socially liberal.

On the other hand, I don't consider tithing charity. Except to the degree that the money supports charity, which oftentimes is little or none. Just because the money is tax deductible doesn't make it charity.
This is why I expect that non-church goers are actually more charitable than church folks. Because churches are expensive to operate. Church folks have a big budgetary expense that other people don't have. So they have less resources to contribute to charity.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Solomon was commanded to build an ornate temple. So were the Jews with the tabernacle I think. We give a great deal to the poor.

Are you Jewish? Does the Mormon Church follow Jewish teachings, laws, and principles? Do Jesus' multiple repearted and recorded commandment of giving money to the poor, not having treasures on Earth, and being not of this world no longer matter when it comes to having vanity and posh buildings of worship?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Not a bad looking building. I'm sure it's as nice as any other temple I've been to inside.

You should have posted a picture of the Provo or the old Ogden temples if you wanted to make your point ;)
There are two wards in my county(last I noticed).
They are functional and modern, but nothing like lavish.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't think that the structure was too important to Jesus. He cared about what was going on inside of it. Which included cheating the poor to line the pockets of the well-to-do. Many, even most, of whom were collaborating with the pagan Roman oppressors.
I think that's what really got Him angry.
Tom
Probably. But we can easily support Jesus not approving of lavish churches. The Salt Lake Temple can be described as an architectural work of art. That's a lot of money that could have feed starving families, supported education, funded health centers, but the Mormon Church instead decided to spend massive amounts of money building for themselves treasures and marvels upon this Earth. Much like how they wasted a lot of money funding Prop 8 campaigns instead of helping the poor. And, as you pointed out, actually helping the poor instead of primarily helping their own (as many churches often do).

SoyLeche

meh...
There are two wards in my county(last I noticed).
They are functional and modern, but nothing like lavish.
Tom
Regular chapels are not all that lavish at all. They are pretty utilitarian (some downright dingy). It's the Temples that are lavish.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Are you Jewish? Does the Mormon Church follow Jewish teachings, laws, and principles? Do Jesus' multiple repearted and recorded commandment of giving money to the poor, not having treasures on Earth, and being not of this world no longer matter when it comes to having vanity and posh buildings of worship?
We believe the Jewish, Christian and our church are the same basic church.

Not to cause confusion though, some Jews haven't accepted Jesus Christ or Joseph Smith and some Christians haven't accepted Joseph Smith. Jesus Christ is more important to accept than Joseph Smith.

We certainly believe in giving to the poor. There should be no poor among us.