• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are liberals more charitable than conservatives on average?

On average

• The average liberal is more charitable

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • The average conservative is more charitable

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • I have no opinion either way

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Veteran Member
As a general rule I mean. Charitable people are on both sides, but I find the vast majority of soup kitchens, homeless shelters, missions, and charities ive encountered personally were started by Conservative Catholics and conservative Protestants like the salvation army.

However, the Catholic Charities where I'm at were started by Conservative Catholics and now run by liberals.

It seems liberals have more government spending to get food and cash assistance , and housing, as well as healthcare to the impoverished , homeless, and unemployed.

What's your opinion?

SoyLeche

meh...
Studies pretty consistently show that conservatives donate more money than liberals, but most of that is due to donations to their churches. If you exclude that liberals tend to give more. It’s up to you whether or not you think it should be excluded.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I live in Utah. It is like 75% conservative and I gather they are the most charitable state.

Also, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints collects separately for tithing, humanitarian aid and feeding the hungry. All of these donations are optional unless you want to attend the temple, in which case you would have to pay tithing.

Jeremiah Ames

The contributions to churches and soup kitchens, etc. done by religious conservatives can possibly be done for the wrong reasons.

Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags.

One must always self examine their own heart.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Why do you gather that?
Because the LDS dominates the media reporting on charitable donations?

I doubt it, myself.
Tom
The LDS Church has donated $2 billion.
They are very mobilized with natural disasters.
They even helped with the coronavirus.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I think that they spent 2 billion opposing civil equality in California.
Hard to say, since they're a private, tax exempt, organization who can lie all they want about their finances.
Nobody has a legal right to investigate what they do with all that tithe money.
Tom

Terry Sampson

vast majority of soup kitchens, homeless shelters, missions, and charities ive encountered personally were started by Conservative Catholics and conservative Protestants like the salvation army.

Catholic Charities where I'm at were started by Conservative Catholics and now run by liberals.

Looks like the makings of a "pattern" to you?? Conservatives give, when they give, as long as they don't have to get their hands dirty and deal with the poor. Are Liberals too poor to give much of anything? and that's why they're open to getting the delivery of services done themselves?

Why don't you do this: Make a list and every time you receive a free gift or favor from someone, ask if the person who gives or does the favor for you is a conservative or a liberal. Report back here in a year, and we can talk about what you find.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
As a general rule I mean. Charitable people are on both sides, but I find the vast majority of soup kitchens, homeless shelters, missions, and charities ive encountered personally were started by Conservative Catholics and conservative Protestants like the salvation army.

However, the Catholic Charities where I'm at were started by Conservative Catholics and now run by liberals.

It seems liberals have more government spending to get food and cash assistance , and housing, as well as healthcare to the impoverished , homeless, and unemployed.

What's your opinion?

Debunking the "Conservatives Give More to Charity" Myth

A recent MIT study suggests they give equally as much
Who Really Gives? Partisanship and Charitable Giving in the United States by Michele Margolis, Michael Sances :: SSRN

However when you break down how those donations are made the picture changes.
Are Religious People Really More Generous Than Atheists? A New Study Puts That Myth to Rest

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They also have a gawdy level of vanity and lavish expenses. The Salt Lake Temple, for example, is pretty much as anti-Christ as the lavishness of the Vatican, which are clearly things Jesus condemned and would have had nothing to do with.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Studies pretty consistently show that conservatives donate more money than liberals, but most of that is due to donations to their churches. If you exclude that liberals tend to give more. It’s up to you whether or not you think it should be excluded.
I do believe that's just about every study I've read, with some additions that young people are more likely to use internet sources to donate money, which apparently donates it directly to a person and isn't counted towards typical/normal means of assessing charitable giving.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I think that being poorer can liberalise your views. It is easier to believe God is on the side of your biases when you are rich and have life easy.

So I would question whether people living in poverty have the same ability to be giving as rich conservatives.

It means more to be giving if you have to skip something essential than it does if millions of dollars are just your small change.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
They also have a gawdy level of vanity and lavish expenses. The Salt Lake Temple, for example, is pretty much as anti-Christ as the lavishness of the Vatican, which are clearly things Jesus condemned and would have had nothing to do with.
I used to think that, and that was part of the reason I left my church for several years. Now I think that, for what they do in it, it has to look descent and they are just making it respectable.

Also, my understanding is that Catholic buildings are more lavish than LDS buildings.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I used to think that, and that was part of the reason I left my church for several years. Now I think that, for what they do in it, it has to look descent and they are just making it respectable.

Also, my understanding is that Catholic buildings are more lavish than LDS buildings.
The lavish Catholic buildings are open to all the poor and non Catholics to enjoy. LDS temples are not.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Also, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints collects separately for tithing, humanitarian aid and feeding the hungry. All of these donations are optional unless you want to attend the temple, in which case you would have to pay tithing.
Things have changed in the last decade.

But back when I was helping support a local food pantry, supported by a consortium of local churches, the LDS was noticeably absent.
They had a food pantry for their own members. They weren't interested in wasting their fundage on people who weren't Mormons or interested in LDS.

It's changed since then. The Mormons contribute to feeding people who aren't Mormons.
But back around the time they had tons of money to oppose Prop 8, they didn't have enough to help feed hungry people.

Sorry that I still remember this reality, but I do. I consider LDS a personal enemy on a huge scale.
Not every single one, @Katzpur is an excellent person. So excellent, I don't really consider her a true Mormon.
Tom

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
What an endorsement.

Well, the LDS isn't as medieval as the RCC!:rolleyes:
Tom
I didn't mean to suggest that the RCC was
Things have changed in the last decade.

But back when I was helping support a local food pantry, supported by a consortium of local churches, the LDS was noticeably absent.
They had a food pantry for their own members. They weren't interested in wasting their fundage on people who weren't Mormons or interested in LDS.

It's changed since then. The Mormons contribute to feeding people who aren't Mormons.
But back around the time they had tons of money to oppose Prop 8, they didn't have enough to help feed hungry people.

Sorry that I still remember this reality, but I do. I consider LDS a personal enemy on a huge scale.
Not every single one, @Katzpur is an excellent person. So excellent, I don't really consider her a true Mormon.
Tom
Yeah, the LDS Church is coming a long way.