• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are LGBT people happier now than they were a hundred years ago?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
By that he means he or she might have some repressed homosexual feelings that hurt his or her sense of self-estime and "purity" for lack of better terms.

:p
so my intuition was correct

Come out come out wherever you are

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The dead don't affect the levels of happiness.

LGBT stuff; homosexual acts, dressing up as a man when you're a woman, trying to physically change your gender, advertising all such behaviour, applauding it, teaching to kids in school that it's OK - maybe even good, etc.
unless someone is directly affecting you, why do you care what God is doing?

Gargovic Malkav

I see a growing judgmental and hateful attitude from people who support the LGBT culture which i think is ironic. Many of them preach about tolerance and understanding, and yet I often see a lack of those things when the things that are sacred to them are being criticized. I personally think embracing homosexual practices and transgenderism are not good for the soul, but I find it hard to explain why in a clear way. In order to understand why some people think it's wrong, maybe you can compare it to incest. Why is incest wrong? Some could say because of the increased chances of their offspring getting birth defects, and most incestuous relationships involve some form of abuse. But there are consensual relationships of that nature. And even if they can't have babies, most people would still think it's disgusting because it's "just wrong".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I see a growing judgmental and hateful attitude from people who support the LGBT culture which i think is ironic. Many of them preach about tolerance and understanding, and yet I often see a lack of those things when the things that are sacred to them are being criticized. I personally think embracing homosexual practices and transgenderism are not good for the soul, but I find it hard to explain why in a clear way. In order to understand why some people think it's wrong, maybe you can compare it to incest. Why is incest wrong? Some could say because of the increased chances of their offspring getting birth defects, and most incestuous relationships involve some form of abuse. But there are consensual relationships of that nature. And even if they can't have babies, most people would still think it's disgusting because it's "just wrong".
Perhaps it's just not good for your soul.
Many things are like that.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
New I see a growing judgmental and hateful attitude from people who support the LGBT culture which i think is ironic. Many of them preach about tolerance and understanding, and yet I often see a lack of those things when the things that are sacred to them are being criticized.
People are sick of dealing with the backwards, irrational prejudices of others. It's like being amazed about people getting mad about neo-Nazis. You don't tolerate the mindset that won't even tolerate your existence.

And your incest analogy makes no sense. What?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
For the longest time people viewed interracial marriage the same way. A powerful, gut feeling of wrongness. That gut feeling is tribalism, fear or dislike of the 'other.' The only reason incest is not viewed the same way as interracial marriage because there are so many potentially abusive aspects of incest so normalizing it is complicated. Normalizing interracial marriage had no such drawbacks. Ditto with normalizing homosexual marriage or normalizing transgendered relationships. There's no abuse, no tangible wrongness. So we should probably try and fight against the impulse to just call it wrong.

Gargovic Malkav

Perhaps it's just not good for your soul.
Many things are like that.

I agree. Respecting other people's choices is something I hold in high regard. Some religious fanatics try to force people to believe in God, but I always felt that they are actually rebelling against Him when their target makes it clear they don't see the point. When you try to force others to your ways, you're basically telling them to lie about who and what they are.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I see a growing judgmental and hateful attitude from people who support the LGBT culture which i think is ironic. Many of them preach about tolerance and understanding, and yet I often see a lack of those things when the things that are sacred to them are being criticized.

You know, it's interesting. I never hear people bemoan "judgmentalism" against white supremacist attitudes these days. Yet within the lifetime of my grandparents (heck, my parents) it used to be commonplace and socially acceptable to find interracial relationships immoral, even unbiblical. Thankfully, in both cases we are moving to a place as society where such irrational attitudes are no longer socially acceptable.

I personally think embracing homosexual practices and transgenderism are not good for the soul, but I find it hard to explain why in a clear way. In order to understand why some people think it's wrong, maybe you can compare it to incest. Why is incest wrong? Some could say because of the increased chances of their offspring getting birth defects, and most incestuous relationships involve some form of abuse. But there are consensual relationships of that nature. And even if they can't have babies, most people would still think it's disgusting because it's "just wrong".

And that's the problem with creating a moral system based on what you personally think is icky. One person's ick is another person's ideal. If you can't actually identify the harm done in an act, then there's no legal reason to prohibit it, and no ethical reason to identify it as somehow immoral.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
For the longest time people viewed interracial marriage the same way. A powerful, gut feeling of wrongness. That gut feeling is tribalism, fear or dislike of the 'other.' The only reason incest is not viewed the same way as interracial marriage because there are so many potentially abusive aspects of incest so normalizing it is complicated. Normalizing interracial marriage had no such drawbacks. Ditto with normalizing homosexual marriage or normalizing transgendered relationships. There's no abuse, no tangible wrongness. So we should probably try and fight against the impulse to just call it wrong.

Dang it ADA you stole my thunder! :p:D

Gargovic Malkav

People are sick of dealing with the backwards, irrational prejudices of others. It's like being amazed about people getting mad about neo-Nazis. You don't tolerate the mindset that won't even tolerate your existence.

And your incest analogy makes no sense. What?

What I'm trying to say is: In older times and in many cultures, a similar taboo existed for homosexuality. But in Western culture it's become so normalized, that I think a lot of people don't understand what it's like to be in a culture where such things aren't as obvious. And those people judge those cultures for it. And often in a way that I perceive it as bigotry. But in their pride and because they get a lot of support of like minded people, they don't see it, as it is very tempting to shame and hate those who make one feel ashamed about himself, and love those who make you feel that there's nothing wrong with you.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
What I'm trying to say is: In older times and in many cultures, a similar taboo existed for homosexuality. But in Western culture it's become so normalized, that I think a lot of people don't understand what it's like to be in a culture where such things aren't as obvious. And those people judge those cultures for it. And often in a way that I perceive it as bigotry. But in their pride and because they get a lot of support of like minded people, they don't see it, as it is very tempting to shame and hate those who make one feel ashamed about himself, and love those who make you feel that there's nothing wrong with you.
Well, it's normal not to like those who make you feel ashamed of yourself. How do you expect them to respond?

By the way, most of the world's homophobia is relatively recent.

Gargovic Malkav

Well, it's normal not to like those who make you feel ashamed of yourself. How do you expect them to respond?

I know it's normal. But sometimes even "the enemies" can make a good point. I used to have a stage in life where I felt that everything I did was wrong. I couldn't keep up with the expectations of my environment and society. My life has gotten a lot better now, but that past definitely left behind some scars. And even until now, I still often hear "a voice in my head" that always finds a reason to criticize and belittle me. It tends to exaggerate a lot as it wants me to fail in life. But I still use that aspect of me to look at myself in a critical manner, as I think it still makes a good point sometimes. Only listening to those who say nice things about me is to give way to narcissism. And I don't want to be that kind of person, as I believe oversized egos are one of the biggest causes of world's problems. Besides, I've also had plenty of experience with people who were being nice to me because there was something about me they liked, but were unreasonable jerks to other people. I hate it when people are two faced like that.

By the way, most of the world's homophobia is relatively recent.

Homophobia may have increased because LGBT people are put on a pedestal in popular culture. There is a lot of attention for it these days, but this will also attract a lot of people who are against it. And their hatred for it increases as it as LGBT culture becomes increasingly accepted and popular. A while back I was looking at a FB ad about some Christian community. But I noticed that most of the comments were from people who hated religion, instead of comments from people the page was originally meant for.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I know it's normal. But sometimes even "the enemies" can make a good point. I used to have a stage in life where I felt that everything I did was wrong. I couldn't keep up with the expectations of my environment and society. My life has gotten a lot better now, but that past definitely left behind some scars. And even until now, I still often hear "a voice in my head" that always finds a reason to criticize and belittle me. It tends to exaggerate a lot as it wants me to fail in life. But I still use that aspect of me to look at myself in a critical manner, as I think it still makes a good point sometimes. Only listening to those who say nice things about me is to give way to narcissism. And I don't want to be that kind of person, as I believe oversized egos are one of the biggest causes of world's problems. Besides, I've also had plenty of experience with people who were being nice to me because there was something about me they liked, but were unreasonable jerks to other people. I hate it when people are two faced like that.

Homophobia may have increased because LGBT people are put on a pedestal in popular culture. There is a lot of attention for it these days, but this will also attract a lot of people who are against it. And their hatred for it increases as it as LGBT culture becomes increasingly accepted and polular. A while back I was looking at a FB ad about some Christian community. But I noticed that most of the comments were from people who hated religion, instead of comments from people the page was originally meant for.
I'm not sure how you get the impression that the LGBT community and our allies are operating in such a fashion. There's a lot of infighting and self-criticism within the community. We don't all get along with each other or understand each other. I'm an "old timer" at the local trans support group here (at this point, I'm mostly there to say hi to my friends and provide support since I transitioned over a decade ago) and the bickering there would be surprising if you know nothing about the community. (One of my friends doesn't like to go as she said they're just a bunch of "catty *****es". Lol.) Trans men fight with other trans men, trans women fighting with other trans women, gays and lesbians bickering with each other and hating on bisexuals and trans people, homophobic trans people, etc. It's all over the place. Most of us support each other in being who we are, but the finer details are squabbled over. We're only human.

Yes, as each group starts to achieve rights and visibility, there's a backlash. That always happens. We still get tons of morons in the US who complain over interracial families in advertising.

firedragon

Veteran Member
With all the corruption and immorality that has been spread for their sake, apparently, you'd think they had gained some advantage. What is the advantage though? Are they better off now?

In some countries, maybe, in some countries probably. And of course in some places "no". So the world has almost three hundred countries and within those countries I dont know how many societies and cultures there are that would be so vastly different from each other. This is not such an easy answer with immediate guesswork based on "one persons personal experience and immediate surroundings" which would make that assumption an anecdotal fallacy.

I remember sometime ago the "Happiness Index" named Venezuela as the happiest place on earth but then a lot of sanctions and political pressure from outside the country influenced its happiness index to go down drastically within a few years. I think this is a question that could only be answered with a good research like that.

Gargovic Malkav

I'm not sure how you get the impression that the LGBT community and our allies are operating in such a fashion. There's a lot of infighting and self-criticism within the community. We don't all get along with each other or understand each other. I'm an "old timer" at the local trans support group here (at this point, I'm mostly there to say hi to my friends and provide support since I transitioned over a decade ago) and the bickering there would be surprising if you know nothing about the community. (One of my friends doesn't like to go as she said they're just a bunch of "catty *****es". Lol.) Trans men fight with other trans men, trans women fighting with other trans women, gays and lesbians bickering with each other and hating on bisexuals and trans people, homophobic trans people, etc. It's all over the place. Most of us support each other in being who we are, but the finer details are squabbled over. We're only human.

Yes, as each group starts to achieve rights and visibility, there's a backlash. That always happens. We still get tons of morons in the US who complain over interracial families in advertising.

Yeah I've read about the infighting. About bisexuals being treated as "traitors" when they choose to form a couple with someone of the opposite sex and transgender people who feel that they are not being represented enough for instance. I've also seen LGBT people coming out. And then they go through this stage of shouting from the rooftops that they are gay and are proud of it and try to engage in all kinds of LGBT activism/LGBT themed activities. But after many years, once they've stopped basing so much of their identity on their sexual orientation and just see it as a relatively insignificant detail, they grow kind of disillusioned(or just become less interested) of it as they feel that there is more to life and to themselves than just "being gay". I felt the same way when I told my parents and friends I became religious(as I come from an environment where most people think that the modern human being should know better). I went through is stage of being overly defensive even when no one has said anything yet. I still feel this way when I talk about my stance concerning gender identity/sexual preference, as I know I am an underdog in these discussions. But as time passes and as I grow older, I learn to accept better that I can't bend everything to my will, and to "love my enemies".

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Grow up.

Does anyone want to answer the question seriously? I don't suppose I need to say that I'm looking for reasoning. If you had it, you would probably have given it, but just in case — I'm waiting.
I am not surprised you completely ignored my post.

Your empty claim of looking for reasoning from such a flame bait OP is rather comical.
Perhaps you are not familiar with the adage: "you reap what you sow"?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Grow up.

Does anyone want to answer the question seriously? I don't suppose I need to say that I'm looking for reasoning. If you had it, you would probably have given it, but just in case — I'm waiting.

Okay, reasoning it is. The first thing we must establish, if using reasoning, if there is a limit to reasoning? If there is not, then any reasoning goes and then we can't reason, because any reason given works. Do you agree? If yes, then the next step is to figure out, how reasoning works?
So anything goes or should we try to figure out the limits of reasoning?