• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Humans Animals

idav

Being
Premium Member
According to what I hear from science Humans are Great Apes along with Gorillas, Orangutans and Chimpanzees. They are cousins through evolution.
Humans have bodies that are genetically and structurally very similar to those of the Great Apes and so we are classified in the Great Apes sub-group which is also known as the hominids (Family Hominidae). The first apes evolved about 25 million years ago and by 20 million years ago were a very diverse group.
Humans are apes – ‘Great Apes’ - Australian Museum

allfoak

Alchemist
Our souls are spread out across seven kingdoms.
The three lower kingdoms of animal, vegetable and mineral.
Three heavenly kingdoms and the fourth kingdom which is a transient kingdom, the kingdom of man.
The animal.kingdom is just a small part of who we are.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I don't know if I would go so far as to say we are apes, but we are certainly evolutionarily related to them.

We share some vague physical similarities, that's about all we can say for sure. It's a semantic question mostly but I would vote no, we are distinct from the animals.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Physically I can accept that we are little different from any other animal. We eat, sleep, breed, defecate and we are made of much the same stuff as any other animal. But I don't accept that humans are to be defined simply along those bodily lines. For me it is an article of faith that humans are truly distinct being in the image of God. We're rational (no other lifeform on this planet comes even remotely close to the subjective complexity of a human) and we have a spiritual element which transcends the physical. I.e an immortal soul.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
According to what I hear from science Humans are Great Apes along with Gorillas, Orangutans and Chimpanzees.
Well, pretty good apes, anyway.
We share some vague physical similarities, that's about all we can say for sure. It's a semantic question mostly but I would vote no, we are distinct from the animals.
We share a lot of features, but it's our DNA that finally clinched our ape status.
Sure there is: Kingdom of God
And what are the distinguishing physical characteristics of this clade?