• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are human beings animals?

Do you consider humans to be animals?

• Total voters

Anto

Scientifically, humans are considered animals, but many religions and faiths would disagree. What's your opinion?

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
Scientifically, humans are considered animals, but many religions and faiths would disagree. What's your opinion?

Definitely animals. Here's a chart.

IMG_6098.JPG

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
We are animals. Our cell structure is that of animals (not that of plants or fungi). We have skeletons (so we are vertebrates). We reproduce using a uterus, making us placental mammals. We have forward facing eyes and hands with nails (not claws), so we are primates.

And yes, finally, we are a species of great ape.

That doesn't deny that we are special in our ability to abstract, our languages, and our ability to create complicated social structures and art.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Of course. Having intellect and the ability for introspection dosent negate anything.

Our own genome confirms that fact by which we are easily traced back to our origins as members of the great apes.

Like it or not, we are primates living on a rock in space.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Yes humans are animals. Religions tend to make humans out to be some sort of higher form which can be true to a certain extent while still being animals. Do humans have some special soul that animals and even angels do not, I doubt it. The way I figure if there is some sort of spirit that it’s imbued in all life forms. Sure humans are special in many ways but there are other mammals, mainly great apes which show the same if not more advanced cognitive abilities including self awareness.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Religions tend to make humans out to be some sort of higher form which can be true to a certain extent while still being animals.

Isn't this primarily found as a teaching of the Bible, though, and not a tendency of religions more broadly? I mostly just see this in the Abrahamic religions, not elsewhere.

David T

Premium Member
Most religions are freudian which is normal right handed world apparently.

David T

Premium Member
Isn't this primarily found as a teaching of the Bible, though, and not a tendency of religions more broadly? I mostly just see this in the Abrahamic religions, not elsewhere.
Religion trends towards freudian. It's like freud loves the bible it's dysfunctional and normal. Believe not believe same dysfunction.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Religion trends towards freudian. It's like freud loves the bible it's dysfunctional and normal. Believe not believe same dysfunction.

I'm not sure where you came to such a strange idea. Then again, it's rather hard to understand what you are saying at all given this post doesn't follow proper grammatical conventions.

HonestJoe

It has little to do with science, nothing to do with religion and there’s no opinion about it; human beings clearly meet all standard definitions of the word animal. People are perfectly entitled to suggest human are somehow special or elevated but saying we’re not animals is just linguistically wrong.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Your probably right. Although I often hear the term higher consciousness as something atainable by humans but some may argue other animals are already there.