• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are God's followers his servants or his slaves?

Flat Earth Kyle

I have recently heard people referring to God's followers as his slaves.

In order to be slaves 2 things must be present.
1) Slaves are bought and sold as property.
and
2) Slaves do not have the freedom to walk away if they so choose.

First I know Christ has paid the price for our sins, and that we can either accept or reject, so I can see how some might say that God bought us, but explain how this is different than bailing someone out of jail? If I bail someone out of jail are they now my property?

Second, so long as I have the freedom to follow God or reject him I am a free man, how then am I a slave? If I choose to follow God I see myself much more as a willful servant than as a willful slave.

Which Hebrew or Greek manuscripts used the word Slave instead of Servant?

Skwim

Veteran Member
I have recently heard people referring to God's followers as his slaves.

In order to be slaves 2 things must be present.
1) Slaves are bought and sold as property.
So are homes. That's what might happen to a slave, but neither are requirements for being a slave.

and
2) Slaves do not have the freedom to walk away if they so choose.
Neither do those in the armed forces. Think they're slaves?

Slaves are generally defined as
1. a person who is the property of and wholly subject to another; a bond servant.

2. a person entirely under the domination of some influence or person:

3. a person held in servitude as the chattel of another

4. one that is completely subservient to a dominating influence
First I know Christ has paid the price for our sins, and that we can either accept or reject, so I can see how some might say that God bought us, but explain how this is different than bailing someone out of jail? If I bail someone out of jail are they now my property?
Nope.

Second, so long as I have the freedom to follow God or reject him I am a free man, how then am I a slave?
If you are completely subservient to a dominating influence (god). Are you?

If you are entirely under the domination of some influence or person (god). Are you?

Flat Earth Kyle

So are homes. That's what might happen to a slave, but neither are requirements for being a slave.

1. a person who is the property of and wholly subject to another; a bond servant.

Nope.

If you are entirely under the domination of some influence or person (god). Are you?

If I have the freedom to walk away if I so choose am I being entirely dominated by God?

Flat Earth Kyle

Nope.

I would call someone in the military (in the U.S. anyway) an indentured servant.

Flat Earth Kyle

Putting the Bible side by side with other Bibles, most Bibles say servant in Revelaton 1:1
Now the question is what was the word that was used in Greek? Was the Greek word servant, slave, or neither?
The next question is, is this a conflict between the different New Testament manuscripts from where we get our English Translations? There are slight differences between the manuscripts, is this one of them?

New International Version (©2011)
The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John,
New Living Translation (©2007)
This is a revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants the events that must soon take place. He sent an angel to present this revelation to his servant John,

English Standard Version (©2001)
The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John,

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show to His bond-servants, the things which must soon take place; and He sent and communicated it by His angel to His bond-servant John,

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
The revelation of Jesus Christ that God gave Him to show His slaves what must quickly take place. He sent it and signified it through His angel to His slave John,

International Standard Version (©2012)
This is the revelation of Jesus the Messiah, which God gave him to show his servants the things that must happen soon. He made it known by sending his messenger to his servant John,

NET Bible (©2006)
The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must happen very soon. He made it clear by sending his angel to his servant John,

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
The Revelation of Yeshua The Messiah, which God gave to him, to show his Servants what had been given to soon occur, and he symbolized it when he sent by his Angel to his Servant Yohannan,

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
This is the revelation of Jesus Christ. God gave it to him to show his servants the things that must happen soon. He sent this revelation through his angel to his servant John.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to show unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and revealed it by his angel unto his servant John:

American King James Version
The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave to him, to show to his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel to his servant John:

American Standard Version
The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show unto his servants, even the things which must shortly come to pass: and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John;

Douay-Rheims Bible
The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to make known to his servants the things which must shortly come to pass: and signified, sending by his angel to his servant John,

Darby Bible Translation
Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave to him, to shew to his bondmen what must shortly take place; and he signified it, sending by his angel, to his bondman John,

English Revised Version
The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to shew unto his servants, even the things which must shortly come to pass: and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John;

Webster's Bible Translation
The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave to him, to show to his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel to his servant John:

Weymouth New Testament
The revelation given by Jesus Christ, which God granted Him, that He might make known to His servants certain events which must shortly come to pass: and He sent His angel and communicated it to His servant John.

World English Bible
This is the Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things which must happen soon, which he sent and made known by his angel to his servant, John,

Young's Literal Translation
A revelation of Jesus Christ, that God gave to him, to shew to his servants what things it behoveth to come to pass quickly; and he did signify it, having sent through his messenger to his servant John,

Flat Earth Kyle

Rather than slaves we are childrens to god. :)

And as children I believe we have a child's potential to become like our Father, for we are the same species.

1 John 3: 2-3
"1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure."

Phillipians 2:5-6; 3:14
5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

2 Corr. 12:1-7
1 It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.
2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.
3 And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)
4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
5 Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.
6 For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.
7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

and Rev. 21:7; 3:21
7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't even think we are like children of God. Not servants, not slaves etc.

We're part and parcels of God, made from his own Self, existing in the material universe as a means of exploring and discovering God's glory.

I see the relationship between God and soul as that of best friend and close companion.

“In detachment lies the wisdom of uncertainty,
in the wisdom of uncertainty lies the freedom from
our past, from the known, which is the prison of
past conditioning.
And in our willingness to step into the unknown,
the field of all possibilities, we surrender ourselves to
the creative mind that orchestrates the dance of the
universe.
Like two golden birds perched on the selfsame
tree, intimate friends, the ego and the Self dwell in
the same body. The former eats the sweet and sour
fruits of the tree of life, while the latter looks on in
detachment.
—”
— The Mundaka Upanishad

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
We're part and parcels of God, made from his own Self, existing in the material universe as a means of exploring and discovering God's glory. .................

That would seem to be true....we are all of God.

It would also seem to be true that God does far more for us than we do for him.
Christianity teaches that Jesus was servant to us, and that we should be servants to each other. What we are and what we do, we should do through love. Just as God loves us.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Which Hebrew or Greek manuscripts used the word Slave instead of Servant?

The Hebrew word for slave is the same as the word for servant. Indicating that what we traditionally think of as slavery (violent exploitation of human beings) is unacceptable.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Even if we were created by God, that would not of itself give such a being rights over us, so while that God might consider us servants or even slaves, we need not consider ourselves thus.

For myself I will not consider myself to be God's servant let alone slave, just as I wouldn't consider myself to be my parents' servant or slave.

I love and respect my parents, I even listen to their advice and consider it, however they have no rights over me.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
That would seem to be true....we are all of God.

It would also seem to be true that God does far more for us than we do for him.
Christianity teaches that Jesus was servant to us, and that we should be servants to each other. What we are and what we do, we should do through love. Just as God loves us.

Yes, I love this view in Christianity. It is one of the areas that it has in common with Hinduism.

chinu

chinu
Servants expect to be paid, slaves do not. I am God's slave, not God's servant.
What's the difference between in being slave to God, and own mind ? why can't we say that you are your own/ own mind's slave, rather than god's ? tell me.. :)

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What's the difference between in being slave to God, and own mind ? why can't we say that you are your own/ own mind's slave, rather than god's ? tell me.. :)

The Lord God has commanded me to be true and to put my neighbor before me. I am not like that. Also the command to fear not is something that is not me. I had to learn it.