• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Dogs Natural Buddhists?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Thanks to @Sunstone 's sage list of topics that must appear on RF or nowhere in the universe, this question needs to be explored.

It's usually asked in the form "Do dogs have Buddha-nature?" From a Tricycle piece. and in the highest tradition of selective quoting to reinforce my biases:
https://tricycle.org/magazine/does-dog-have-buddha-nature/

[A student] asked: “Does a dog also have buddha-nature or not?” The master said: “The [road] in front of every house leads to Ch’ang-an [the capital].”

Here Chao-chou affirms that all sentient beings do in fact have Buddha-nature, dogs included, but again he implies that they need to wake up to that fact if it is to do them any good. The “road that leads to Ch’ang-an” may run in front of every house, but unless one actually travels it, the sights and smells of the capital can only be imagined.
My Mu is a beloved pet, but he surely has not glimpsed his own Buddha-nature. Nor does he recognize that of squirrels: The mere sight of one, and all of his bad karma, born of beginningless greed, hatred, and delusion, comes rushing out in an eye-popping, hackle-raising snarl. And when it comes to oak trees, lamp posts, and other insentient things, not even their Buddha-nature can save them from the indignity of being his territorial markers.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Thanks to @Sunstone 's sage list of topics that must appear on RF or nowhere in the universe, this question needs to be explored.

It's usually asked in the form "Do dogs have Buddha-nature?" From a Tricycle piece. and in the highest tradition of selective quoting to reinforce my biases:

[A student] asked: “Does a dog also have buddha-nature or not?” The master said: “The [road] in front of every house leads to Ch’ang-an [the capital].”

Here Chao-chou affirms that all sentient beings do in fact have Buddha-nature, dogs included, but again he implies that they need to wake up to that fact if it is to do them any good. The “road that leads to Ch’ang-an” may run in front of every house, but unless one actually travels it, the sights and smells of the capital can only be imagined.
My Mu is a beloved pet, but he surely has not glimpsed his own Buddha-nature. Nor does he recognize that of squirrels: The mere sight of one, and all of his bad karma, born of beginningless greed, hatred, and delusion, comes rushing out in an eye-popping, hackle-raising snarl. And when it comes to oak trees, lamp posts, and other insentient things, not even their Buddha-nature can save them from the indignity of being his territorial markers.

My Buddha nature I see as having no nature. Buddhism is maybe the absence of a nature or that is what is strived for. To let go of your "nature" because that is not you.

Your dog would have to let go of his nature but I suspect such a concept is beyond Mu's ability to understand. Maybe beyond the ability of humans to understand but little by little we discover what we are not. Even Mu. So every sentient creature through experience comes closer to realizing what they are not even though the concept itself is not understood.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

But that makes Buddha Nature as if it were a soul or spirit of a person. In The Lotus Sutra and other Mahayana sutras everyone has the potential to be a Buddha aka everyone has the nature to be a Buddha. It's no more just for the arahants etc but for lay men and women too.

As for dogs etc I think that's a Chinese thang. I know Ten Tai Buddhism believes all sentient non humans have the ability to become Buddhas. I don't know how cause becoming a Buddha has to do with actions not a spirit, soul, or dormant identity. Least that's whats in the suttas. But since its not sola-sutrura each lineage and school have their own views.

Vee

Premium Member
Maybe...
[GALLERY=media, 8724]BD by Vee posted Nov 13, 2018 at 9:00 PM[/GALLERY]

Jumi

Also look at what's in the name:

The name Chang’an translates as 'Forever Peace', and although not quite living up to its name, the city did remain important for well over a millennium.

Sounds like the "master" was hinting at at least two levels of symbolic interpretation there.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
caring.jpg dancing.jpg friends.jpg stink.jpg

These were made as a parody of an internet meme, with our dog Benson DaWoogie or Woo for short... Wu defines Wisdom.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So what does a dog without Buddha nature look like? I just want to know, so I can be able to recognize one with Buddha nature.