• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are dogs "forbidden" in Islam?

Shakeel

What are fatwas? What did you read exactly?
A fatwa is given by a scholar of Islam (one qualified and authorised by someone to be capable of giving fatwas) to answer a question an individual has on Islamic ruling(s) in a certain situation.
It is impermissible for you, dear questioner, to keep a dog for the mentioned purpose. The Islamic Sharee‘ah deems it prohibited to keep a dog except in specific cases, and they do not include what you mentioned. Ibn Qudaamah may Allaah have mercy upon him said in Al-Mughni: “It is impermissible to keep a dog, except a dog for hunting, herding livestock, or guarding a farm, as evidenced by what was narrated on the authority of Abu Hurayrah may Allaah be pleased with him who related that the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) said: “Whoever keeps a dog, except a dog used for hunting, herding livestock, or guarding crops (farm) , one Qeeraat (mountain size rewards) will be deducted from his reward each day.” It was narrated on the authority of Ibn ‘Umar, may Allah be pleased with him , that the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) said: “Whoever keeps a dog, except a dog for hunting or herding livestock, two Qeeraats (mountain size rewards) will be deducted from his reward each day.” Saalim said: ‘Abu Hurayrah used to say, “or a farm dog.” [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim].” [End of quote]

You may be suffering from social anxiety disorder, also known as (social) phobia, which is defined as: “an extreme deep-rooted fear of something or a particular situation. The most common kinds of phobias include: enochlophobia (fear of crowds), nyctophobia (fear of darkness), acrophobia (fear of heights), and fear of some animals.” [End of quote, excerpted with modifications from Al-Mawsoo‘ah Al-‘Arabiyyah Al-‘Aalamiyyah] Al-Mawsoo‘ah Al-‘Arabiyyah. Al-‘Aalamiyyah also reads: “Phobias are unjustified fears.” If you are suffering from this disorder, it is prescribed for you to seek treatment through lawful means and consult doctors rather than keeping dogs.
Suffers from Social Anxiety Disorder and Wants to Keep a Dog - Islamweb - Fatwas

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
A fatwa is given by a scholar of Islam (one qualified and authorised by someone to be capable of giving fatwas) to answer a question an individual has on Islamic ruling(s) in a certain situation.

Who deems a scholar worthy of giving such guidance?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Who deems a scholar worthy of giving such guidance?

Every group of Muslims follow scholars that they pick for themselves. There are almost no issues that all groups agree upon in Islam. It's free for all, all for free, everyone attributing God what they don't know, tons of fun it seems for everyone.

stevecanuck

Scholars.

The qur'an says nothing about scholars. It gives itself as the only instruction that a person needs (5:3 - "This day have I perfected for you your religion and completed My favor on you and chosen for you Islam as a religion".)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Thanks for that.

"God" had 6,236 verses in which to specifically say that dogs are forbidden, but he didn't. In fact, verse 5:4 explicitly allows for hunting dogs (mukalibina, which means "ones who train animals to hunt", is from the three-letter base KLB - dog).

I would like to see a court case in which a Muslim cabbie is sued for refusing, for example, a blind person with a guide dog as a fare. When asked to prove that Islam forbids dogs, he would have a very tough time doing so.

The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Word by Word Grammar, Syntax and Morphology of the Holy Quran
Working dogs are not forbidden in Islam. It's more keeping them as pets, and especially keeping them inside.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You have to get into hadiths to support that. The qur'an says nothing about it.
I don't know enough about Islam to argue this in depth, but that seems to be a general consensus. Work dogs are ok. Pets are not. And apparently it's so ingrained that there is an issue with Muslims and dog abuse, including having them killed (even when they are healthy) during Ramadan.

Shakeel

The qur'an says nothing about scholars. It gives itself as the only instruction that a person needs (5:3 - "This day have I perfected for you your religion and completed My favor on you and chosen for you Islam as a religion".)
Nowhere there does it say the Qur'an gives itself as the only instruction a person needs.

The verse cannot be referring only to the Qur'an because further verses were revealed after it. Rather it has been said it refers to the rulings, because the verses revealed after that were not about the rulings.

Actually the Qur'an says:

4:64 "And We did not send any messenger except to be obeyed by permission of Allah..."

4:65 "But no, by your Lord, they will not [truly] believe until they make you, [O Muhammad], judge concerning that over which they dispute among themselves and then find within themselves no discomfort from what you have judged and submit in [full, willing] submission."

4:80 "He who obeys the Messenger has obeyed Allah..."

16:44 "[We sent them] with clear proofs and written ordinances. And We revealed to you the message that you may make clear to the people what was sent down to them and that they might give thought."

24:54 "Say, "Obey Allah and obey the Messenger; but if you turn away - then upon him is only that [duty] with which he has been charged, and upon you is that with which you have been charged. And if you obey him, you will be [rightly] guided...."

And:

59:7 "...And whatever the Messenger has given you - take; and what he has forbidden you - refrain from."
It was narrated from Ubaidullah bin Abu Rafi from his father, that: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: "I do not want to find anyone of you reclining on his pillow, and when bad news comes to him of something that I have commanded or forbidden, he says, 'I do not know, whatever we find in the Book of Allah, we will follow."
The Book of the Sunnah - Sunnah.com - Sayings and Teachings of Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه و سلم)

stevecanuck

Nowhere there does it say the Qur'an gives itself as the only instruction a person needs.

The verse cannot be referring only to the Qur'an because further verses were revealed after it. Rather it has been said it refers to the rulings, because the verses revealed after that were not about the rulings.

Actually the Qur'an says:

4:64 "And We did not send any messenger except to be obeyed by permission of Allah..."

4:65 "But no, by your Lord, they will not [truly] believe until they make you, [O Muhammad], judge concerning that over which they dispute among themselves and then find within themselves no discomfort from what you have judged and submit in [full, willing] submission."

4:80 "He who obeys the Messenger has obeyed Allah..."

16:44 "[We sent them] with clear proofs and written ordinances. And We revealed to you the message that you may make clear to the people what was sent down to them and that they might give thought."

24:54 "Say, "Obey Allah and obey the Messenger; but if you turn away - then upon him is only that [duty] with which he has been charged, and upon you is that with which you have been charged. And if you obey him, you will be [rightly] guided...."

And:

59:7 "...And whatever the Messenger has given you - take; and what he has forbidden you - refrain from."

Verse 39:27 says, "We have put forth for men, in this Qur'an every kind of Parable, in order that they may receive admonition". And as you have shown above, Muslims are told to obey Allah (that would be the qur'an) and the messenger. There is nothing about the need for scholars to interpret that which Allah says is plain and simple, "So We have only made it easy in your tongue that you may give good news thereby to those who guard (against evil) and warn thereby a vehemently contentious people (19:97)".

Shakeel

Verse 39:27 says, "We have put forth for men, in this Qur'an every kind of Parable, in order that they may receive admonition".
What does the discussion have to do with parables?
And as you have shown above, Muslims are told to obey Allah (that would be the qur'an) and the messenger. There is nothing about the need for scholars to interpret that which Allah says is plain and simple,
Are you arguing against the scholars or the hadiths?

There have always been scholars in a sense. Since beginning there have been more knowledgeable people to whom others go to have their questions answered. What you're saying is, they shouldn't do that, but should rather just shoot from the hip, so to speak. Which would be like a doctor who doesn't know a cure for a patient's illness and rather than consulting someone who does, simply tries to cure the patient with guess work.
which Allah says is plain and simple, "So We have only made it easy in your tongue that you may give good news thereby to those who guard (against evil) and warn thereby a vehemently contentious people (19:97)".
I wish you would sometimes quote a verse saying what you say it says.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Salam

I'm going to give an example of how hadiths can lead astray. and I believe in sticking to what is clear from Quran and Sunnah in insights, and not just follow hadiths by reading them and thinking they are true, and I believe leaving what is unclear till it becomes clear. A person into Zodiac stars and that kind of nonsense can easily attribute the 12 Imams (a) hadiths about it, as they did:

والقمي عن الباقر عليه السلام البروج الكواكب والبروج التي للرّبيع والصيف الحمل والثور والجوزاء والسرّطان والأسد والسّنبلة وبروج الخريف والشّتاءِ الميزان والعقرب والقوس والجدي والدّلو والحوت وهي اثنا عشر برجاً.

Now, if you look at the hadith, it seems like Imam (a) is endorsing the old Zodiac star system even telling you the animals, the twelve signs of the Zodiac. Now let's go all study astrology right? Wrong. Very wrong.

More over, if this hadith is true, we should believe in that non-sense.

There are hadiths and prayers from Ahlulbayt (a) that teach that it has nothing to do with physical stars let alone this Zodiac non-sense. Which one is true? All you have to do is open Quran and read the CONTEXT and it's clear it had to do with the door to the heavens that Mohammad (s) would be accused of being a sorcerer and doing sorcery on them if God would open them a door by which they ascend to it and so it's spiritual parables, the lanterns for sure, and it's about Mohammad (s) for sure (he is one lantern there for sure).

The Quran is a clear book. It has talked about scholars through out, the bad and the good. Which ones are we learning from according to Quran? I believe definitely the bad, because true scholars from believers won't take authority over believers stance, they teach without claiming religious authority, unlike evil scholars. The proof "O You believe don't say reverentially follow us" (Raina) and please do look up the CONTEXT of that text I quoted. It's directly related to this topic about scholars.