• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are dogs "forbidden" in Islam?

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
What about monkeys as pets? Too close to slavery? :oops:
I have known a couple of people that have had monkeys as pets. I am not sure that they should be pets anywhere, but you know people.

I once met a woman that had a pet coatimundi. I was swimming in an Ozark stream at the time and she was canoeing passed me. She was pretty impressed that I knew what her pet was.

stevecanuck

Cats are highly regarded in Islam. They must be well looked after, and allowed to roam at will..even into the mosque.

I don't recall seeing anything about cats in Islamic scripture. Egyptians didn't seem to care one way or the other about them.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Correct. The dog is in the cave as a companion, which if anything, implies it's okay.

More, it was a creature like the she-camel of Ad, which was an amazing creature that should be respected, as the dog was with specific instructions from God to guard the cave all while for years and years they were asleep.

Dogs are amazing. And that one has specific instructions to guard the cave.

And then when they woken up, they wanted to find "pure" food (halal) and so there is nothing najis about a dog. They were keeping to the rules of purity, with food, so if dogs were najis like hadiths say, it frankly doesn't make sense what they did.

Abu Huraira means "father of cats", he loved cats and most hadiths in Sunni literature go back to him. Reality is everything he said, they ended up attributing some other companion the same words.

And he hated dogs and loved cats. Result: Dogs are najis, nothing dirtier then a dogs, cats are blessed, cats are awesome, etc.

It's a joke, how Muslims approached religion. A complete joke.

stevecanuck

I didn't know myself, so I did some research. I found this article where, very interestingly and curiously, there is no Quran or Hadith cited.
Is keeping dogs allowed in Islam or not?

And that's not the only site I found like that.
The angels not entering the house is apparently Hadith.

Thanks for that.

"God" had 6,236 verses in which to specifically say that dogs are forbidden, but he didn't. In fact, verse 5:4 explicitly allows for hunting dogs (mukalibina, which means "ones who train animals to hunt", is from the three-letter base KLB - dog).

I would like to see a court case in which a Muslim cabbie is sued for refusing, for example, a blind person with a guide dog as a fare. When asked to prove that Islam forbids dogs, he would have a very tough time doing so.

The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Word by Word Grammar, Syntax and Morphology of the Holy Quran

Shakeel

That they kept to purity and hence the dog would not be impure to touch.
You mean because they ate halal food it means they wouldn't have a dog guarding them if it wasn't halal to have as a pet?

Nowhere does it say touching dogs was haram and many scholars say only the saliva of the dog is haram aside for its urine and feces.

Neither having dogs for guarding nor touching dogs is haram.

So once again, where is your logic here?
And then when they woken up, they wanted to find "pure" food (halal) and so there is nothing najis about a dog. They were keeping to the rules of purity, with food, so if dogs were najis like hadiths say, it frankly doesn't make sense what they did.
It doesn't make sense they had a dog guarding them or that they ate halal food?

Shakeel

How did you arrive at this conclusion?
I didn't, it's what I've read from the fatwas. Also, it doesn't really make sense. Most people who have a so called therapy dog, don't need one and those who insist they need such a pet can just get a cat or something. Why demand such an exception? It's kind of laughable.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't, it's what I've read from the fatwas. Also, it doesn't really make sense. Most people who have a so called therapy dog, don't need one and those who insist they need such a pet can just get a cat or something. Why demand such an exception? It's kind of laughable.

What are fatwas? What did you read exactly?

Shakeel

How about a guide dog for the blind?
I don't know. I've read it may become permissable if there is no other way to help the person.

It's a matter of individual fatwas. The same answer doesn't apply to all situations even if the basic question is the same.

Last edited: