• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are dogs "forbidden" in Islam?

stevecanuck

Occasionally we hear of a Muslim cabbie who refuses to take guide/support dogs in their cabs stating that dogs are "forbidden" in Islam.

Is there any basis for this? I saw none in my readings. In fact, hunting and cattle dogs seem to be approved of.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I heard from a Muslim friend that they're forbidden as strictly pets, but okay to have around for a purpose(guarding, herding dogs, etc). I would think therapy pet would fall into the 'working' category.

I believe at one point, they showed me a document for this, but I can't remember whether it was from the Qur'an or whether it was a Hadith.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I didn't know myself, so I did some research. I found this article where, very interestingly and curiously, there is no Quran or Hadith cited.
Is keeping dogs allowed in Islam or not?
The Grand Mufti of Dubai, Dr Ahmed Al Haddad, told Khaleej Times that keeping a dog at home is not advisable according to Islam, as affirmed by Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him). "If dogs were not a nation among nations, then I would order that they be killed. There is one inhabiting a home in which they keep a dog but their deeds are decreased by one Qirat every day - except for a hunting dog, or a farm dog, or a sheep dog."

As such, Muslims are advised to be proud of their religion and culture, and refrain from blindly imitating others, Dr Haddad said. "If a dog is needed for guarding, herding, or hunting, it must be kept in a proper place and as per need."
"Raising or keeping a dog inside the house is not allowed in Islam under any circumstances, and even prevents the Angels of Mercy from entering the house, and deducts a large amount of a Muslim's worship reward on every single day," Dr Ali Mashael, Chief Mufti at the Department of Islamic Affairs and Charitable Activities in Dubai, told Khaleej Times.

However, a dog may be kept and benefited from outside the house for permissible reasons, such as farming, hunting or herding as explained by Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him), he said.
Prof Dr Ahmed Omar Hashim, former president of Al-Azhar University, said the angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog as "authentically warned by the Prophet (PBUH)."
Reiterating the same, Dr Shaikh Khalid Al Jundi, said keeping a dog inside the house has nothing to do with civilisation or modernity, and is not allowed for any reason, particularly for having fun, as a prestige factor, or for scaring people. "However, a dog may be kept outside the house for guarding, hunting, leading a blind person, sniffing narcotics, detecting explosives, etc."
And that's not the only site I found like that.
The angels not entering the house is apparently Hadith.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Dogs are not forbidden to have, but there is certain rules for why a muslim would have a dog.

You can have a dog as guard dog or for hunting.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't know myself, so I did some research. I found this article where, very interestingly and curiously, there is no Quran or Hadith cited.
Is keeping dogs allowed in Islam or not?

And that's not the only site I found like that.
The angels not entering the house is apparently Hadith.
I had no idea. You are good at finding interesting information.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Occasionally we hear of a Muslim cabbie who refuses to take guide/support dogs in their cabs stating that dogs are "forbidden" in Islam.

Is there any basis for this? I saw none in my readings. In fact, hunting and cattle dogs seem to be approved of.
I wonder how they feel about rabbits?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Apparently, they can keep you, eat you, sell you, or turn you loose.

Sounds risky. You should probably just run...
At least I would be versatile. But I think your recommendation is the best option for me.

It's terrible being delicious.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Cats are highly regarded in Islam. They must be well looked after, and allowed to roam at will..even into the mosque.
I just hope the All-knowing Allah didn't forget to remind Muslims to attach a bell to the cat's collar to warn the native species of its approach.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
As you know, cats are not regarded as gods in Islam. On the other hand, the cat that shares our home behaves as though she is.......for sure. o_O.

I'm constantly reminded of the saying: Dogs have owners.......cats have staff.

In Egypt cats were once worshipped as gods, they have never forgotten