• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are divorced women supposed to live alone?

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
What i learned was that bible OT was a hateful and bigoted tome. And the fact muslim regard for divorce as far more flexible than christian can be verified... Here is a quick rundown
Divorce in Islam - Wikipedia
While the media has done well at reporting the wrongs done by both apparently lost or pretend 'Christians' in some churches, and also done well at reporting the shocking things that happen under the flag of Islam at times to women...well, it just seems it would be a lot better to be a woman in Christianity, just on the basis of the news.

It's one things to have some putative rules. It's another to look at actual outcomes, which are of course highly varied. Sadly abuse doesn't seem limited out of any group, but even doctors, atheists, etc. do plenty we see if we look in the news.

There are some groups that just seem...well, better. Better behaving. Gay people often seem as if they are just nicer, to me. Maybe I'm just lucky to meet nice ones, I don't know.

But as I like to say: 'just because you are gay doesn't mean you are somehow not needing Christ, even though you are clearly a nice person'. That way I can tell them the truth of it from our viewpoint: all are sinners and need a redeemer, not only some.

So, if you are divorced and remarried, you are instantly welcome in our church. That's only fact. Does that help? I don't want my above post to be confusing.

David. The life of David in the Old Testament could help!

Right?

Adulterer, murderer, person with too much blood on his hands, but...still, nevertheless "a man after God's own heart", for one thing in how quickly he repented.

From that adulterous union, eventually came King Solomon, ancestor of Mary and David, earthly parents of Christ.

Along with prostitutes, sinners of just quite a variety, leading to Christ.

See, it's not our shortcomings that are the center of Christianity, but our redemption from just those, our freedom from them.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
While the media has done well at reporting the wrongs done by both apparently lost or pretend 'Christians' in some churches, and also done well at reporting the shocking things that happen under the flag of Islam at times to women...well, it just seems it would be a lot better to be a woman in Christianity, just on the basis of the news.

It's one things to have some putative rules. It's another to look at actual outcomes, which are of course highly varied. Sadly abuse doesn't seem limited out of any group, but even doctors, atheists, etc. do plenty we see if we look in the news.

There are some groups that just seem...well, better. Better behaving. Gay people often seem as if they are just nicer, to me. Maybe I'm just lucky to meet nice ones, I don't know.

But as I like to say: 'just because you are gay doesn't mean you are somehow not needing Christ, even though you are clearly a nice person'. That way I can tell them the truth of it from our viewpoint: all are sinners and need a redeemer, not only some.

So, if you are divorced and remarried, you are instantly welcome in our church. That's only fact. Does that help? I don't want my above post to be confusing.

David. The life of David in the Old Testament could help!

Right?

Adulterer, murderer, person with too much blood on his hands, but...still, nevertheless "a man after God's own heart", for one thing in how quickly he repented.

From that adulterous union, eventually came King Solomon, ancestor of Mary and David, earthly parents of Christ.

Along with prostitutes, sinners of just quite a variety, leading to Christ.

See, it's not our shortcomings that are the center of Christianity, but our redemption from just those, our freedom from them.

I am not bothered by your strawmen, the facts remain the same

halbhh

I am not bothered by your strawmen, the facts remain the same
If there really was a strawman, I'd want to fix it. I know there isn't any intentional one.

Results matter though. Not merely rules.

But maybe you are thinking kinda of another thing:
Christianity does have a repeating problem: it's so old and well-respected that it has been repeatedly and widely used in a cynical (non Christ like) way for political power.

That's probably the face of Christianity you know.

To me, that's actually a competing religion.

To help distinguish I think of that main competing strain (other religion) at the moment as "Christian Nationalism" which seems to have largely a different set of values, that diverge pretty strongly away from what Christ said. So, I don't defend that other version of "Christianity." It's largely unrecognizable.

So, I bet some of my answers would look as if I was justifying wrongs, if you thought I was in that religion!

ChristineM

Premium Member
If there really was a strawman, I'd want to fix it. I know there isn't any intentional one.

Results matter though. Not merely rules.

But maybe you are thinking kinda of another thing:
Christianity does have a repeating problem: it's so old and well-respected that it has been repeatedly and widely used in a cynical (non Christ like) way for political power.

That's probably the face of Christianity you know.

To me, that's actually a competing religion.

To help distinguish I think of that main competing strain (other religion) at the moment as "Christian Nationalism" which seems to have largely a different set of values, that diverge pretty strongly away from what Christ said. So, I don't defend that other version of "Christianity." It's largely unrecognizable.

So, I bet some of my answers would look as if I was justifying wrongs, if you thought I was in that religion!

We are talking divorced women. Not gays, prostitutes and sinners.

I should also not that sinning is specific to a religion. It is irrelevant to anyone not of the particular faith.

A christian is a christian, there are over 50,000 different sects/cults/divisions/schisms call them what you will, it is tare that any 2 agree 100% about what constitutes Christianity, yet all are christian

halbhh

We are talking divorced women. Not gays, prostitutes and sinners.

I should also not that sinning is specific to a religion. It is irrelevant to anyone not of the particular faith.

A christian is a christian, there are over 50,000 different sects/cults/divisions/schisms call them what you will, it is tare that any 2 agree 100% about what constitutes Christianity, yet all are christian
Divorced and remarried are welcome in our church. Because we follow the gospel of Christ.

I explained that above, but you inadvertantly may have projected a strawman version from another type of religion onto what I wrote, I'm thinking.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Divorced and remarried are welcome in our church. Because we follow the gospel of Christ.

I explained that above, but you inadvertantly may have projected a strawman version from another type of religion onto what I wrote, I'm thinking.

No, i spoke of christianity.

halbhh

No, i spoke of christianity.
ok (rolls eyes)

If I cant say what my religion is, what our church says and does, will someone else tell me, since I don't seem to know? lol

I'm going to stick with the actually real tho.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
We all know christ said one must not marry a divorced woman so what are these women supposed to do for the rest of their lives, live alone?
I do not think they should be compelled to live alone. I think they should live however they choose to live and assume whatever they can achieve in that living.

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
ok (rolls eyes)

If I cant say what my religion is, what our church says and does, will someone else tell me, since I don't seem to know? lol

I'm going to stick with the actually real tho.

As i explained, there are over 50,000 cults of christianity, all Christians. Yours is only one

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
The question then I think is what makes a person Christian? is it listening to and following every teaching and command of Christ or simply saying "hey, I believe in Christ" so I am a christian.
How can you know what people believe in their hearts?

halbhh

As i explained, there are over 50,000 cults of christianity, all Christians. Yours is only one
Well, in a way, if there were 1 billion Christian believers (2bn identify as at least), then there would be 1 billion Christianities, in a profound way. I can agree with that -- endless variety.

In the end, you ought to allow me to say what I believe, instead of substituting something else in place of it tho. Gotta go. Hope you have a pleasant evening!

ChristineM

Premium Member
Well, in a way, if there were 1 billion Christian believers (2bn identify as at least), then there would be 1 billion Christianities, in a profound way. I can agree with that -- endless variety.

In the end, you ought to allow me to say what I believe, instead of substituting something else in place of it tho. Gotta go. Hope you have a pleasant evening!

Of course you can say what you believe, i have not attempted to stop that, i have simply replied with what i believe. Surely you would allow me the same prerogative that you demand for yourself?

halbhh

Of course you can say what you believe, i have not attempted to stop that, i have simply replied with what i believe. Surely you would allow me the same prerogative that you demand for yourself?
Ok, are we really allowed here to call others' beliefs "cults" here on this site? I will not, but I'd like to know.

here: "As a community of diverse cultural and religious backgrounds, our aim is to provide a civil environment, informative, respectful and welcoming where people of diverse beliefs can discuss, compare and debate religion while engaging in fellowship with one another."

Apparently then disparaging attacks like labeling religions "cults" is breaking rule #9 then.

Milton Platt

We all know christ said one must not marry a divorced woman so what are these women supposed to do for the rest of their lives, live alone?

That only applies if they are a conservative Christian, I think. Most of the world is not held to that. And frankly, even conservative Christians remarry all the time....they just sweep it under the rug.

Straw Dog

In Biblical terms, I’m what’s known as a chaotic good character... or is that D&D terms? I confuse my fantasy genres.

At any rate, I believe in freedom and life for all. A woman should be free to pursue her pleasure in any way that she sees fit as long as it doesn’t directly harm others.

In a more abstract thought experiment... if I were married, and I died, I’d want my wife to move on and still enjoy life as she saw fit. After all, I wouldn’t marry such a subservient lady anyway. I’m not that possessive that I need to invent an authoritarian mythology in order to justify eternal obedience to my... uh... well, you get the point.

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
Ok, are we really allowed here to call others' beliefs "cults" here on this site? I will not, but I'd like to know.

here: "As a community of diverse cultural and religious backgrounds, our aim is to provide a civil environment, informative, respectful and welcoming where people of diverse beliefs can discuss, compare and debate religion while engaging in fellowship with one another."

Apparently then disparaging attacks like labeling religions "cults" is breaking rule #9 then.

Again i will repeat, there are over 50,000 different sects/cults/branches of christianity.

Definition of Cult : a system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object.

What is disparaging about that? Perhaps it is your understanding of the word that is at fault but if it offends you then please feel free to report my use of the english language.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Again i will repeat, there are over 50,000 different sects/cults/branches of christianity.

Definition of Cult : a system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object.

What is disparaging about that? Perhaps it is your understanding of the word that is at fault but if it offends you then please feel free to report my use of the english language.
I judge a religion as being a cult based more upon how it treats its members. The JW's appear to be a cult. I have heard good cases for the Mormons being considered one too. And definitely some.of the extreme Baptist sects in the US qualify as cults.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I judge a religion as being a cult based more upon how it treats its members. The JW's appear to be a cult. I have heard good cases for the Mormons being considered one too. And definitely some.of the extreme Baptist sects in the US qualify as cults.

I prefer the Merriam-Webster definition of 'cult' myself.

"a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious"

Definition of CULT

The word 'cult' in the religious community is generally recognized at pejorative.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

They're supposed to try to repair their original relationship.

The few times that it's okay to divorce is when there is abuse or something. But otherwise, it's considered to still be an active marriage, in which case, this is adultery.