• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are corporations a shadow government?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Kinda wish there was a conspiracy theory section for this. :O)

I'm guessing folks here might find this an interesting question as to what people think and feel as if we've gotten to, or are getting close to where corporations can be considered as a bona fide shadow government given Oligarchy has become a somewhat common term with people these past few years?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm guessing folks here might find this an interesting question as to what people think and feel as if we've gotten to, or are getting close to where corporations can be considered as a bona fide shadow government given Oligarchy has become a somewhat common term with people these past few years?

I suppose they could be considered a shadow government of a kind. I think what's more likely the case is that the people who control the large corporations and other such movers and shakers have friends and political connections in other high places, including governments. If they belong to the same clubs, go to the same schools, initiate into the same fraternities, etc., then they're probably aligned with each other and will do each other favors for their own mutual benefit.

It seems plausible to conclude that that's how politics usually works in human societies, although I was never quite sure why such notions are dismissed as unbelievable "conspiracy theories."

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Didn't you vote a CEO for President, seems like you don't get it??

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Corporations write many laws and give them to the legislature to pass. When Lobbyists Literally Write The Bill is one example story.

Why do we still have a penny? Corporate special interests.
Why are drugs so expensive only in the USA? Corporate special interests.
and so forth.

Then, of course there are ALEC "model bills". And even in blue California, there was an expose a number of years back about corporations writing the laws.

And this is why AOC is subjected to scurrilous attacks while similar behavior from the corporate drones are let pass - she's challenging the corporate status quo.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Its about whether they cooperate with the government. When they act illegally they are called crime syndicates. Crime syndicates operate outside of the law by hiding their activities and by corrupting government officials. Consider the alcohol industry during the Prohibition years. During prohibition it was a loose federation of crime syndicates operating outside of the law, but when Prohibition ended those previous criminal organizations became legal businesses which benefited from government cooperation. The difference then between a shadow government and a real government is cooperation.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Corporations write many laws and give them to the legislature to pass. When Lobbyists Literally Write The Bill is one example story.

Why do we still have a penny? Corporate special interests.
Why are drugs so expensive only in the USA? Corporate special interests.
and so forth.
That is true, but its not a shadow government. I think that a shadow government is a situation where Homeland Security secretly directs policy. It turns the government into a front. These corporations do influence legislation but are still subject to the legislature, so they are influential but not controllers.

Then, of course there are ALEC "model bills". And even in blue California, there was an expose a number of years back about corporations writing the laws.

And this is why AOC is subjected to scurrilous attacks while similar behavior from the corporate drones are let pass - she's challenging the corporate status quo.
Its not good.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member

It is certainly possible.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'd say yes, but really not so much in the "shadow government" sense as they do practice tremendous influence behind the scenes, but they do it through lobbyist groups and PACs to cover their tracks, even though it's something we know they're doing. I'd say maybe perhaps a type of half way point of sorts between shadow government and plutocracy.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That is true, but its not a shadow government. I think that a shadow government is a situation where Homeland Security secretly directs policy. It turns the government into a front. These corporations do influence legislation but are still subject to the legislature, so they are influential but not controllers.

I think there are cases where it goes beyond influence. Or maybe another way to think about it is that the legislature and as we're now seeing in DC, the executive branch, does the will of the mega-corporations.

NB: I'm not against corporations as a legal organization created to do business, but against how they use their power and influence to override what is really needed or to impose their will.

This story is a classic example of why my mind turns to tar & feathers or worse:
Senator Sanders asks why drug, once free, now costs $375k

Catalyst Pharmaceuticals on Monday asking it to justify its decision to charge $375,000 annually for a medication that for years has been available to patients for free.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I think there are cases where it goes beyond influence. Or maybe another way to think about it is that the legislature and as we're now seeing in DC, the executive branch, does the will of the mega-corporations.

NB: I'm not against corporations as a legal organization created to do business, but against how they use their power and influence to override what is really needed or to impose their will.

This story is a classic example of why my mind turns to tar & feathers or worse:

Catalyst Pharmaceuticals on Monday asking it to justify its decision to charge $375,000 annually for a medication that for years has been available to patients for free.
Yes. Tar and feathers sounds like what comes to mind.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Third world countries don't have corporations... what does that tell you -considering that the best places in the world are filled with corporations? And the more corporations, statistically, the more prosperous the society..?

...Think about it.

Cooky

Veteran Member

I will agree with you, however, that the pharmecudical industry is obscenely corrupt, and the government does little to stand in the way of it.

It's not the money they collect that bothers me, it's the fact that lives depend on the product that they hold patents on.

...Make money some other way.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I will agree with you, however, that the pharmecudical industry is obscenely corrupt, and the government does little to stand in the way of it.

It's not the money they collect that bothers me, it's the fact that lives depend on the product that they hold patents on.

...Make money some other way.
They should just get out of the business of drug development & manufacture.
Then we'd use the inexpensive ones that government creates & sells.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Third world countries don't have corporations... what does that tell you -considering that the best places in the world are filled with corporations? And the more corporations, statistically, the more prosperous the society..?

...Think about it.
Coincidence..? I think not. :cool:

Well, depending on which countries you're referring to, I would say that many of them do have corporations. Or maybe it would be more correct to say that the corporations have them.

I think most here understand that the term "corporation" doesn't imply that it's good or evil just on that basis alone.

Here in America, our country became prosperous because we made some killer land deals and acquired millions upon millions of acres of arable land, along with an abundant wealth of resources from which we were able to utilize productively and profitably.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

...Think about it.
I dunno. I tend to think of the diamond industry and gold/silver mined in 3rd world countries.