• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Comic Books Literature?

Trey of Diamonds

Panda

42?
Premium Member
I wouldn't class them as literature because to me they tend to focus more on the pictures than the words. To me literature is about words and the writing.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Depends on what you read, Panda. Persepolis had art barely more than stick figures, it was all about the story.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Speaking about shameless plugs FREE COMIC BOOK DAY is this weekend (MAY 2nd I believe) so if you want free literature, visit your local comic store (and specially marked local libraries) for your free comic book. With the economy in such a slouch everyone can afford to receive free comic books.

Trey of Diamonds

Speaking about shameless plugs FREE COMIC BOOK DAY is this weekend (MAY 2nd I believe) so if you want free literature, visit your local comic store (and specially marked local libraries) for your free comic book. With the economy in such a slouch everyone can afford to receive free comic books.

Yes indeedy! Here is more info on Free Comic Book Day.

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/

And for those of you in Houston, come geek out with us this weekend at:

2009 Houston Comic Book Convention - ComicPalooza - Official Site

I'm a volunteer and will be there all Sunday so look for me. :D

rojse

RF Addict
I wouldn't class them as literature because to me they tend to focus more on the pictures than the words. To me literature is about words and the writing.

But there are children's picture books that are considered literature. Where would Alice in Wonderland be without John Tenniel's illustrations?

s.gal83

For me, if the comics or graphic novels have a good storyline, develops the characters well, then I will consider it to be a form of literature.

Same for manga.

dust1n

Zindīq
I'm not really sure what qualifies as literature, but comic books do generally have words, so I imagine they count. I'm read comic books that have perplexed just as hard as books have. Persepolis was one about an Iranian girl except political oppression and the history of her country. Strangers in Paradise is about two female roommates, one is in love with the other but not visa versa. The Daily News was about commercial media, journalism, terrorism, and propaganda. These are topics that are not just ****** duality stories or kids books.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
The Daily News was a terrific read. Ideally good literature makes you think about the world around you. I find that a good graphic novel can bring home certain subjects better with their use of strong imagery.... but the images are just icing to help deliver the message.

wa:do

dust1n

Zindīq
The Daily News was a terrific read. Ideally good literature makes you think about the world around you. I find that a good graphic novel can bring home certain subjects better with their use of strong imagery.... but the images are just icing to help deliver the message.

wa:do

Agreed. I'm hearing statements that the words of a graphic novel are there to support the visual aspects. The Daily News is much the opposite. The graphics are amazing!, but it does a much better job supporting the words and giving a ground to them then standing alone.

My avatar is actually the last page from issue 1.

Mr Cheese

comics books are certainly literature...

but then a lot of mindless pap gets published as a book also...

It depends, art is art...art is an expression of consciouness...

Comic books then can be trashy or sublime...
just like books, music or sword swallowing....

AS mentioned right on page one, Maus could be considred one of the few truly sublime comic books. Comic boosk in general are just largely mass produced pap.....

It is like comparing attack of the killer tomatoes with gone with the wind.
They are both films..... but somehow..there is a huge difference.
Just as there is with a Spiderman comic and Maus...

The comic Nanda is pluggin reminds me terribly of Russel diary of a peaceful man, in style

loveday_stormingofthecity.gif

loveday.jpg

russell6.jpg

Nanda

Polyanna
The comic Nanda is pluggin reminds me terribly of Russel diary of a peaceful man, in style

loveday_stormingofthecity.gif

loveday.jpg

russell6.jpg

Is that the actual title? I can't find it anywhere online. It looks a bit like Robert Crumb, though, and Paper gets compared to Crumb quite a lot.

Mr Cheese

Is that the actual title? I can't find it anywhere online. It looks a bit like Robert Crumb, though, and Paper gets compared to Crumb quite a lot.

look up pete loveday

he's a brit....

it has adult themes so not really somethign for here...

pete loveday - Google Search

Pete Loveday is a British underground cartoonist. He drew many comics charting the adventures of hippie character Russell including Big Bang Comics, Big Trip Travel Agency, Plain Rapper Comix printed by AK Press.[1]
He draws like Robert Crumb or Gilbert Shelton with lots of cross-hatching. Big Bang Comics is Britain's most successful underground comics.[2] Recurring themes in the comics are drugs, Rock festivals, environmentalism etc. Plain Rapper Comix #2 is Loveday's pamphlet in comic book form on a history of hemp and why it would be beneficial for the environment to replace tree paper with hemp paper and he practices what he preaches by being the first publication in modern times to be printed on such paper. The Russell comics were reprinted in book form Russell, The Saga of a peaceful man[3] published by John Brown Publishing.
As a champion of British small press comics he drew lots of multi-artist jam strips in B. Patston's Psychopia. He drew a Russell comic in Danny King's Blah, Blah, Blah![4]
He previously had a stall at Glastonbury Festival selling tobacco tins and his comics but now his eyesight is failing he doesn't have any plans for more Russell comics

Nanda

Polyanna
look up pete loveday

Ah, thank you. You know, looking at a bit more of his body of work, I definately see more of a similarity between Loveday & Paper's work than Crumb's - but being one of the most famous cartoonists alive, anyone whose work even remotely resembles Crumb's style (ie heavy use of crosshatching) is going to get compared to him - Loveday himself being no exception, apparently.