• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Comic Books Literature?

J Bryson

I think that's pretty harsh for Liefeld. Sure, he's not the best artist out there, but he certainly isn't in the bottom third of artists. He just doesn't live up to the "superstar" status he gained.

He gave boobies to Captain America. To quote another giant in the industry, 'nuff said.

J Bryson

Um...most artists give guys boobies in comic books.

Most artists give guys a decently muscled chest. Liefeld gave honkers to an American icon.

liefeld-cap.jpg

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Dare I ask, but what graphic novels have you read that lead you to make such judgements about an entire genre?

I was actually being facetious. "Literature" is one of those things that is an artificial construct with no consistent criteria, so it's pretty useless as a label anyway.

I've read numerous "genre fiction" novels that blow many "classics of literature" out of the water, yet they will never be classified as "literature".

It goes the same with graphic novels - many are of very high quality. However, the visual aspect separates them from novels enough that defining them as "literature", seems a tad silly. This isn't a comment on quality, only on incorrectness of definition.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Most artists give guys a decently muscled chest. Liefeld gave honkers to an American icon.

liefeld-cap.jpg

Yes, that's a tad excessive, but as I said, most comic book artists do that to a degree, and I would say this is not Liefeld's finest work either. Plus, it's really irrelevant who the character is, isn't it?

J Bryson

If he'd given them to Storm, I don't think that we'd be having this discussion, so the character is somewhat relevant. :D

J Bryson

Heh, yes, the gender of the character is relevant, but the specific identity isn't.

It kind of is, though, as if he'd done this to a less iconic figure, it wouldn't have received as much publicity. If you screw up in front of a thousand readers in a small press comic book, no one will care. If you screw up in front of millions of fanboys and fangirls, though, and to a character that so many people have such an affection for.....

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It kind of is, though, as if he'd done this to a less iconic figure, it wouldn't have received as much publicity. If you screw up in front of a thousand readers in a small press comic book, no one will care. If you screw up in front of millions of fanboys and fangirls, though, and to a character that so many people have such an affection for.....

All I'm saying is all in all his art is not that bad. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of comic book artists who are much worse than him. He is mediocre, and is not in the class of artists that make a comic unreadable.

J Bryson

All I'm saying is all in all his art is not that bad. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of comic book artists who are much worse than him. He is mediocre, and is not in the class of artists that make a comic unreadable.

Disagree on the first point.

Agree on the second.

Disagree on the third.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
I was actually being facetious. "Literature" is one of those things that is an artificial construct with no consistent criteria, so it's pretty useless as a label anyway.

I've read numerous "genre fiction" novels that blow many "classics of literature" out of the water, yet they will never be classified as "literature".

It goes the same with graphic novels - many are of very high quality. However, the visual aspect separates them from novels enough that defining them as "literature", seems a tad silly. This isn't a comment on quality, only on incorrectness of definition.
I pretty much agree. Defining literature is the same impossible task of defining art; the criteria varies too wildly. I suppose my vague definition of lit' as a poem/novel/play/etc. as something that best represents the era it was written, and continues to offer some relevant insight into the modern world is about as ambiguous yet close as I can get. So definitely, there are literary quality comics out there.

Oh man I'd love to make this a Liefield bashing thread 'cause if anyone deserved it...:D

Then again, I'm critical of the Jim Lees of the industry as well- the 90s heralded a decade of some woefully mediocre talent, foil covers, exorbitantly inflated prices, and just plain silly characters. But I won't go down that path.

Moore's From Hell is as exemplary a literary expression as anything Pynchon has done. Maus is as important and heart wrenchingly honest as To Kill a Mockingbird imho; Jimmy Corrigan is representative of literature in that it is packed with symbolism, explores universal themes like alienation, and can be incredibly frustrating and obtuse. Scalped is equal to most crime literature I've read from Chandler to Hammett. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is a literary comic about, well, literary characters. And it's absolutely flawless. I could go on and on...

But I also agree with that solid writing trumps art- of course as a nerdy 7 year old first picking up my older brothers copies of the Dark Phoenix saga it was all about the Byrne/Austin eye candy. The emotional punch of Jean's death still knocked me on my *** though. But the older I got the more forgiving I was of mediocre visuals as long as the stories and characters were compelling. Grant Morrisson's brilliant Animal Man is a good example: horrible art, wonderful writing. But it's always best when both are exemplary: like Moore and Veitch on Swamp Thing, Miracle Man, the recent Whedon/Cassady run on Astonishing X-Men (Cassady is as near a perfect comic artist as Neal Adams), Watchmen, From Hell, League', DeMatteis and Jon Muth's Moonshadow (which I think far surpasses Gaiman's Sandman stuff as an adult fairy tale wonderfully written and painted). I'll think of more.

But all I need suggest now is that Super-F***ers is awesome. If you have the sense of humor of a 12 year old boy that is. And I do. It amuses me.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Maus has been mentioned enough times that I put it on hold at the library. :D

They didn't have Moonshadow, though. :(

ETA: My mistake, they do! :woohoo: Sugriva, this means that I'll shortly either be very grateful to you, or convinced that you're a moron. :p

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
First off "graphic literature" has been with us a very long time. The oldest 'comic book' is from the 1700's and illuminated manuscripts have been using imagery to tell stories for centuries prior to that.

Many of these works were for adults and were about deep social issues such as the rise of industrialism and the the subsequent rise of workers rights movements.
Anyone who doubts the power of the graphic novel (even without words) should check out the work of Frans Masereel. His pieces are amazingly moving and his stories are filled with both humor, horror and a wicked subversiveness.

Frans Masereel: The City

wa:do

ps. don't forget the long and noble history of illustration story telling in the East!

Last edited:
Reactions: d.

Nanda

Polyanna
Some titles I'm fond ofthat are definately worthy of being called literature:

Maus 1 & 2 - Art Spiegelman
Blankets, Carnet de Voyage, and Goodbye, Chunky Rice - Craig Thompson
Grickle and Further Grickle - Graham Annable
Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi
Blue Pills - Frederik Peeters
Gemma Bovary - Posy Simmonds
La Perdida - Jessica Abel