• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Catholics Christians?

Scott1

Ronald said:
Scott, surely you jest! You know full well of the Tanach, or are you hiding behind a Canon?
The Tanach is the New Testament? What the heck are you talking about Ronald?:confused:

Ronald

SOGFFP quote
I had not idea that the "original" Canon of Scripture was compiled by Jews.

The earliest of these writers was Papias (Fragment 6), dating from about A.D. 167, who records, "Matthew compiled the sayings of Jesus in the Hebrew tongue, and everyone translated them as well as he could" (Eusebius, Ecclesiastical History, III,39,1). http://webbpage.topcities.com/

Plus much, much more, Come on Scott, I know a canon is a wicked weapon, but step out in truth, Y H V H will provide you shelter if you need it.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

You know this is(Tanach) the only Scripture being spoken of in 2 Ti. 3:16. No New Testament.

Scott1

Ronald said:
The earliest of these writers was Papias (Fragment 6), dating from about A.D. 167, who records, "Matthew compiled the sayings of Jesus in the Hebrew tongue, and everyone translated them as well as he could" (Eusebius, Ecclesiastical History, III,39,1).
I don't know... maybe it's me....but did the Jewish world embrace Jesus as the Christ and I have somehow missed it? These people in A.D. 167 ... were Jews.... who worshiped Christ.... and compiled the NT Canon of Scripture? What page is that on?:help:

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

You know this is(Tanach) the only Scripture being spoken of in 2 Ti. 3:16. No New Testament.
Am I in bizzaro world? You are quoting me NT text in defense of the OT as authoritative because..... why? :confused:

Ronald, again... I know it must be fun to be the only person on Earth who knows what the heck you are talking about, but you gotta realize I don't know what you're talking about half the time. I don't know if your Jewish or Christian or both.... or what? You pick apart other views but offer no summary of what you believe.... how do you expect to get you message across when half of your posts are in a language most readers don't understand!

Confused,
Scott

HelpMe

·´sociopathic meanderer`·
SOGFPP said:
These people in A.D. 167 ... were Jews.... who worshiped Christ.... and compiled the NT Canon of Scripture? What page is that on?
jews who worshipped christ would be called christians, being such does not invalidate their being jewish in all senses of the word.

i understand ron for the most part.

Scott1

Does anyone read the entire thread before posting?

roli said:
Catholics even went as far as to create and compile their own Catholic version of the bible from books and stories that never were part of the original canonization where selected jewish scholars arranged and compiled the Holy Bible upon the leading of the Holy Spirit.
So you agree with this statment HelpMe?

HelpMe said:
i understand ron for the most part.
Good, I can PM you to translate.

HelpMe

i would say that statement should not be limited to catholics.

i would say 23 pages is alot, and for this reason i do not respond to everything said.

lol.

Scott1

HelpMe said:
i would say that statement should not be limited to catholics.
I have no idea what that means.....

Did Jewish scholars arrange the Bible and the Catholic Church change it... or not?

i would say 23 pages is alot, and for this reason i do not respond to everything said.

lol.
Yeah, you're right.:)

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
simguy83 said:
Anybody who reads either of those verses regarding communion will take it as symbolic. Unless of course they have been poisoned by the highly blashpeming and insulting catholic doctrines which will then influence their thinking. Jesus often spoke in parables and used symbolic language, his work is finished - it is not repeated constantly.
I went to the first site you posted and read that. What stick in my mind most about it is that by thinking that they should do good works, Catholics are damned, because they obviously don't believe that Christ's sacrifice was enough...
What a pack of tripe! Using that as a benchmark, then a 'proper' Christian can do whatever the hell he likes, and as long as he says,'well, you know, Christ died for me and I firmly believe that,' then he's fine.
Give me good works any day...comes as no huge surprise that people on death row suddenly become born again before they fry. As long as they believe Christ died for them it doesn't matter that they've stabbed someone 47 times in the chest, does it? It's like Heaven Insurance.
It's a removal of consequences for your actions to take that standpoint.

Scott1

lady_lazarus said:
What stick in my mind most about it is that by thinking that they should do good works, Catholics are damned, because they obviously don't believe that Christ's sacrifice was enough...What a pack of tripe!
:D I agree.... (suprise suprise)..... but things like this are just lack of education.
Many non-Catholic Christians believe that once you come to accept Christ "as your personal Savior" you are "saved" and heaven is a sure thing...
Catholics, on the other hand, recognize that faith without works is a dead faith... useless.

Unfortunately, many uneducated Catholics believe that their good works "earn" them salvation.... that good works are added up to some heavenly spreadsheet to calculate entrance into heaven. This is just as false as faith without works.

It is people who don't spend enough time getting to know people in other faiths that give religion a bad name.

Peace,
Scott

Ronald

Scott,
It just doesn't fit your theology, there are many who hear/read my posts and understand every word.
Only those who refuse to see with their eyes or hear with their ears and turn to the "Word of God".

It seems to me that you praise your church for its new stance on Israel, but your predjudice is showing.

The Way was almost all Hebrew until Y H V H kicked Peter in the seat of his pants and told him to go to Cornellius. And Yeshua encountered Sha'ul on the road to Damascus.

What Christians fail to see is that Yeshua's first coming was to tear down the wall of separation between the Hebrew and the Gentile. For nearly 2000 years you Christians have tried to build it back. It is hard to kick against the goad.

I try to be a breech maker, tearing down your walls of separation. Whether you like it or not, there is a mighty move of Y H V H to bind his people together. One single people, Israel and all its branches, the body of ha Mashiach/the Messiah.
Ac 24:14 But this I admit to you, that according to the Way, which they call a sect, I worship the God of our fathers, believing everything laid down by the law or written in the prophets,
The Tanach! This is Sha'ul/Paul speaking, the very same one you turn in to a hypocrite, saying he created a new religion(Christianity).

This is what I speak , believe everything laid down by the law or written in the prophets.

Thank Y H V H for America and Gods free will, you are free to speak your church dogma and I am free to speak the Word of God. Amen?

HelpMe

Ronald said:
What Christians fail to see is that Yeshua's first coming was to tear down the wall of separation between the Hebrew and the Gentile. For nearly 2000 years you Christians have tried to build it back.
i wouldn't say the(we[including you and i]) 'christians' are the only guilty party(see some talmud references) involved or that each member of the organization is guilty of said accusation, but great point.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
jewscout said:
Sooooo you keep kosher??:D
I understand your counter sarcasm and Jewish opposition towards my postion as a follower of Jesus Christ and trusting Him as my Lord and Savior only thru a revealation by his Spirit. This was a 2 part process for me , Saw my sin :banghead3 and Turned and trusted and recieved

It was by faith first, I sought after God recognizing where I stood in violation of His righteousness STANDARD and declared guilty under his judgement

Jesus has come twice already and He will come a 3rd time to bring His people home with Him. Understand what the # 3 represents in the Bible, COMPLETION

You see ,this is a faith positon first, then a revealation, I don't look for His perfect enterance into the Holy City, I witnessed His first appearance THRU faith and it was far from perfect ,lying in a manger, in a barn.His second appearance came by faith when I believed He rose from the grave, glorified, attested by several hundred eye witness accounts, and left historical , archeological, and scientific evidence,

If you doubt,let me know, I will direct you to some sobering sites that may awaken the side of oppositon that arises within you.There is evidence out there worth reading. but many avoid the evidences maintaining a obstinate postion regardless of facts around them,maybe apprehensive of what may be revealed and discovered.

Secondly, what I read and studied, researched and compiled I applied with FAITH AND ACTION and Jesus showed up, revealing himself to me in a living and real way and this is confirmed by His Holy Spirit he put inside of me attesting to His life ,death ,burial ,resurrection and asscension.
:jiggy: His third appearance when He comes in the clouds to recieve those who long for His appearing, I am a chosen people a Holy Nation , belonging to God, Rom 2:28 for he is no longer a Jew who is one outwardly , nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh,,but he is a jew who is one inwardly and circumcision is that of the heart in the spirit, not in the letter,whose praise is not from men but from God:woohoo:

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Ronald said:
I am sorry you have been a Christian so long you have forgotten the Word of God.
Perhaps I am very much mistaken and am interpreting this comment in a manner in which it was not meant? I hope that is the case.

Scott has shown me more about what being a Catholic and/ or Christian means in his words, faith and spirit, than I have learned from almost any other forum member. I have never felt that one person should be called upon to represent a faith, but I know that if that had to be so, no religion to ask for a better representative than Scott.

THE DEVIL

OLICS ARE CHRISTIANS AS WELL.
The Voice of Reason said:
Upon advice from the moderator (Mr. Sprinkles), I am starting a thread to discuss whether Catholics are Christians.
To be honest, I would say that it is utter nonsense to even be discussing this. This debate stems from the post of a member that is making the distinction between "Christians" and "Catholics". For my limited knowledge, it would seem that Catholics have more right to make the claim that they are Christian than any of the Protestant faith. As an Agnostic, I don't really care where this goes, but I'd hate to see an entire generation of Protestants grow up thinking that Catholics were something other than Christian.

TVOR