• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Catholics Christians?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Upon advice from the moderator (Mr. Sprinkles), I am starting a thread to discuss whether Catholics are Christians.
To be honest, I would say that it is utter nonsense to even be discussing this. This debate stems from the post of a member that is making the distinction between "Christians" and "Catholics". For my limited knowledge, it would seem that Catholics have more right to make the claim that they are Christian than any of the Protestant faith. As an Agnostic, I don't really care where this goes, but I'd hate to see an entire generation of Protestants grow up thinking that Catholics were something other than Christian.

TVOR

Master Vigil

it is true that catholics were one of the first christians. After the gnostics that is. But still, everything the protestants believe were really laid down originally and formally by the catholics. There may be some things they disagree on, but the main premise was a catholic premise.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Thanks for the input Master. That is basically the way I see it. I'd love to get more input on this - especially from the stronger Catholics.

TVOR

Scott1

Hello all,

Well, my answer to the thread question is, of course, yes! I do agree with TVOR that it is sad that history had been so ingnored as to make this question needed.

Master Vigil said:
it is true that catholics were one of the first christians. After the gnostics that is.
After the gnostics......?.... no, not quite. The Catholic Church WAS Christianity for 1500 years before the "Reformation". The gnostics were 1st and 2nd century heretics.... St. Peter, Paul and the rest of early Catholics came a BIT before that! :D
All one needs to do is look at the history of early Christianity to see the truth. The Catholic Church is the ONLY universal Christian church that has existed since the time of Jesus. EVERY other Christian church is an offshoot of the Catholic Church.
ONLY the Catholic Church existed today, and in the tenth century, in the fifth century, and in the first century faithfully teaching the doctrines given by Christ to the apostles, omitting nothing.

Peace,
Scott

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Sog -

Thanks for the input, my friend - that is exactly the historical angle I was looking for. I thought that was right. As was said to me before on another thread - thanks - have some frubals. ;)

TVOR

Dave

Catholics are definitely Christians. It annoys me when I hear people say stuff like "Catholics and Christians ... " when what they really should be saying is "Catholics and OTHER Christians ..." (emphasis added).

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Dave,

I only named the thread as I did because this very argument was growing in another thread. I agree compleletly with your position - others will not. I actually started this thread hoping that some of the members with more knowledge in this area (like SOG) would weigh in with their take on it.

May you find peace with God - whatever form he does (or doesn't) take for you.

TVOR

I was raised Catholic and always considered myself Christian. I also view Protestants as Christians. As far as I am concerned, Christians are individuals who believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and have that as a very integral part of their faith.

Now I have heard of some Protestants state that Catholics are not Christians and, although I have not personally heard it, I am sure some Catholics have stated that Protestants are not Christians. I have to admit that when this occurs (which has been rare), I am surprised but find it irrelevant. Usually, it is simple ignorance rather than intolerance and a little patient education goes a long way.

Linus

I agree with those of you who believe that catholics are christians, because they claim to follow Christ. But I do not believe the catholic church has any valid religious authority.

Linus

The only one with authority is Christ, Because He is the head of the Church, and the church is His bride.

Scott1

The only one with authority is Christ, Because He is the head of the Church, and the church is His bride.
Head of which church? How many BRIDES does Jesus have?

Christ tells you what hymns to sing each Sunday? Christ came down and appointed your pastor?

Master Vigil

"After the gnostics......?.... no, not quite. The Catholic Church WAS Christianity for 1500 years before the "Reformation". The gnostics were 1st and 2nd century heretics.... St. Peter, Paul and the rest of early Catholics came a BIT before that!"

Actually the early christians weren't called catholics. Catholic wasn't the name until after the council of nicaea. The early christians were just that, christians. There were also the gnostics, but the gnostics were probably the first organized christians. The rest were spread out all over and actually worshipped in different ways. That was the reason for the council of nicaea. To bring them all together and decide on the one way to worship. It was only after the council they were known as catholics. So that was my reason for saying the gnostics were before catholics.

Scott1

mv,

Actually the early christians weren't called catholics. Catholic wasn't the name until after the council of nicaea.
Well, don't mean to be rude, but you are quite wrong. It would be interesting to see you site a reference or two, or is this just an "educated guess" on your part? To prove you wrong, take a look at this:
"Where there is Christ Jesus, there is the Catholic Church.".. written by St. Ignatius of Antioch in the year 107. ( St. Ignatius of Antioch, Ad Smyrn. 8,2)

Now, was the council of nicaea before or after the year 107? :D :D

Peace,
Scott

In case you really don't know, the Council of Nicaea was in 325.

Linus

SOGFPP said:
Head of which church? How many BRIDES does Jesus have?

All local churches make up the "universal" church that includes all of God's people. So there is one Church. Therefore, Chist has one bride.

Ephesians 5:20 - the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body.

Ephesians 4:4-6 - There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

1 Corinthians 12:20 - But now indeed there are many members, yet one body.

SOGFPP said:
Christ tells you what hymns to sing each Sunday? Christ came down and appointed your pastor?

Why would I need to be TOLD what hymns to sing? Am I not capable of choosing for myself?

And I don't have a pastor or a minister or a priest because frankly I do not believe that they are authorized within the Bible as a role separate from any other christian. We are all ministers

2 Cor. 6:4 - But in all things we commend ourselves as ministers of God: in much patience, in tribulations, in needs, in distresses,

Scott1

master vigil,

There were also the gnostics, but the gnostics were probably the first organized christians. The rest were spread out all over and actually worshipped in different ways. That was the reason for the council of nicaea.
I can't believe I missed this the first time. The Council of Nicaea was called specifically to combat the heresy of Arius (Arianism). The Pope and the Emperor called BISHOPS to Nicaea to condemn this heresy and anathemized Arius. How could the Pope and Bishops meet in council, kick someone out of their Church.....worshiping in different ways. The Council is actually evidence AGAINST your assumption that the Church was not organized. If that were the case, there would have been no need for the 318 Bishops to meet together.

Who's next? :p

Peace,
Scott

Master Vigil

I apologize, the catholic church was around before the council of nicea. However, the term catholic in which St. Ignatius was referring to was just the simple word catholic, or universal as it was used before 150 C.E. In Man's Religions, fourth edition, by John B. Noss, he shows how the ancient Catholic church shows up around 150 C.E. It was then that they decided to formulate and develop a system of doctrine, and an organization. There were still many different christians who were "catholic" but worshipped in different ways with different points of view on things. Such as the divinity of jesus and the holy trinity. This was the reason for the Council of Nicea. To bring all of the bishops and such of the "catholic" church together to clarify things. In The World's Religions by Huston Smith, he says it wasn't until after the council in the year 380 that it was declared an official religion of rome. The gnostics however were around before 150 C.E. and were thought by many to be the first to bring together the gospels. (With some that they believed in thrown away, but I won't get into that.) I quote my religon professor with that.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I'm laughing as I watch Master and SOG debate this "gnostic and Catholic" (or is that the chicken and the egg). I think you have both answered my original question as to whether or not Catholics are Christians. I thank you for the input.

May the road rise to meet you,
TVOR

linwood

The Catholic church decided what the modern Bible would contain.
The Catholic church is responsible for much of the traditions that almost every Christian sect carries out today.
The Catholic church is one of the very few churches who have attempted to draw parallels with the modern world in order to keep the Bible relavent.
If it wasn`t for the Catholic church Christianity would be a very different faith today.

The Catholic church is the birthplace of the Christianity we know now.

Yes..they are most definately Christian