• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Buddhist and Hindu Scriptures Inaccurate?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Skywalker

Hindus believe in karma...causality. One's positive actions bring positive consequence, and one's negative actions bring negative consequence.

There is no Hell concept equivalent to Christianity's Hell.

What do you think about the belief of the sowing and reaping of life?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
It was suggested in another thread that Hindu and Buddhist scriptures may not accurately reflect the lives of Buddha and Krishna.

I am interested in hearing specifically what scriptures and what parts of these scriptures the denizens of RF feel are flawed or inaccurate with regard to the lives of these two avatara.

Assumo
It was suggested in another thread that Hindu and Buddhist scriptures may not accurately reflect the lives of Buddha and Krishna.

I am interested in hearing specifically what scriptures and what parts of these scriptures the denizens of RF feel are flawed or inaccurate with regard to the lives of these two avatara.

As you know, both the Buddha and Krishna indicated that from age to age another Buddha arises and Krishna returns to re-establish religion. This is in both scriptures.

If this is true then may we not obtain that information from Their future appearances? I believe this holds the key. For instance Maitreya and Kalki would be quite capable of conveying what is true and what has been misunderstood.

I personally believe this has occurred except that both Maitreya and Kali are One and the same Person.

Interestingly, some popular beliefs have been discarded as erroneous and vain imaginings, while others upheld. One such claim is that Buddha taught that there was one God, but these teachings were lost. Historically this cannot be proven, but if the Spokesperson was indeed Maitreya, then I would entertain no doubt whatsoever about its accuracy.

Skywalker

Assumo

As you know, both the Buddha and Krishna indicated that from age to age another Buddha arises and Krishna returns to re-establish religion. This is in both scriptures.

If this is true then may we not obtain that information from Their future appearances? I believe this holds the key. For instance Maitreya and Kalki would be quite capable of conveying what is true and what has been misunderstood.

I personally believe this has occurred except that both Maitreya and Kali are One and the same Person.

Interestingly, some popular beliefs have been discarded as erroneous and vain imaginings, while others upheld. One such claim is that Buddha taught that there was one God, but these teachings were lost. Historically this cannot be proven, but if the Spokesperson was indeed Maitreya, then I would entertain no doubt whatsoever about its accuracy.

Why do you think Matrieya exists in multiple faiths?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Why do you think Matrieya exists in multiple faiths?

Maitreya is supposed to be the future Buddha prophesied in their scriptures just as the second coming is promised in the Gospels. I’m saying that I believe that these are One and same Person. So Kalki, Maitreya, return of Jesus are all referring to the coming of a Great Messiah which I am firmly convinced, has already appeared and that in time ‘all eyes will see’.

Skywalker

Maitreya is supposed to be the future Buddha prophesied in their scriptures just as the second coming is promised in the Gospels. I’m saying that I believe that these are One and same Person. So Kalki, Maitreya, return of Jesus are all referring to the coming of a Great Messiah which I am firmly convinced, has already appeared and that in time ‘all eyes will see’.

Why do you think Judaism doesn't believe in the second coming of the Messiah?

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma

I'm also interested to hear which specific parts of those scriptures are flawed.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
From a historical perspective, the reliability of the biographies is not established at all. Though it should not make much of a difference as the teachings are what matters, not the life events.
In the case of Krihna and Shiva, their lives very much reinforce their teachings so I would think that their lives play a very important or even essential role in how they affected the development of human civilisation.
Perhaps a similar thing can be said about the importance of the life of Jesus on a more modest level.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe that hell is being alone for eternity in outer darkness. What do you think about that? Everything that exists has order. That makes more sense than a dimension of demons punishing people.

I have no concept of such a hell. Hell, in my view, is a state of mind that exists only in transactional reality.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
How does karma work?

I glossed over this in a previous post.

Karma, in my understanding, is causality. Cause/effect. Action/reaction.

There is a cosmic record of one's deeds. Benevolent deeds bring positive consequences. Malevolent deeds bring negative consequences. The degree of severity of these deeds comes into play as well and will determine how long it will take to "burn off" that karma, whether it be positive or negative.

In my view, a being in transactional reality has layers, or sheaths, if you will, called "koshas." The gross body which is your physical form, that which can be objectively perceived by others; the subtle body which is your character, thoughts, feelings, emotions, etc.; the causal body which more difficult to describe, the best way I can describe it would be imprints of one's past lives, a cloud storage of sorts; and finally the Atman which is one's true Self. Karma, in my understanding, is carried in the causal body, which transmigrates from incarnation to incarnation.

So even if a deed is done in the moments before death, the causal body carries that karma onto the next life.

firedragon

Veteran Member

There is a book called pansiya panas jathaka which are about the Buddhas past lives. Beginning from its dating to the very nature of the addition to some of the other scripture as foundational stories proves that they lack authenticity.

About his life, the Buddhacharitha is probably the oldest source but is around 600 years after his assumed death. Asvaghosha meaning the sound or noise of a horse lived in this era and was not a historian but a Buddhist poet who romanticised the Buddha.

Then comes other narratives from the time when the Buddhas first images were concocted by the king Dharmashoka who hired a guy from Thailand to create his image according to his vision of how the Buddha may have looked. And they have many many contradictions between one another. Sometimes contradicting the same teachings of the Buddha. But that I think may be a topic for another thread.

Also you should know that some of the names mentioned in his life story like his initial teachers he eventually left, Kondanga, baddiya, wappa, mahanama, assagi in combination have been argued by some scholars to not originate from the geographical areas where he supposedly dwelt.

Bottomline is, since you asked about his life, its far too distant from his time, and has had a huge evolution through time.

Apologies, I am not much versed in the Hindu texts and their histories to tell you anything similar.