• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Buddhist and Hindu Scriptures Inaccurate?

Skywalker

My understanding is that Holy Scriptures are primarily spiritual Books with terms like light often referring to knowledge, love or faith. So for instance, the light of knowledge can illuminate the whole world. So just as the physical sun illuminates the world, the light of the love and knowledge of God can enlighten the souls of men.

Due to very low spiritual aptitude in this day, this has led to many such priceless gems yet to be discovered in the depths of scriptures, with most stuck with literal and physical interpretations, a reflection of the materialistic mindset we have come to inherit in this age.

How do you think knowledge of God enlightens our souls?

firedragon

Veteran Member
So you will never accept any future Buddha unless people live to 80,000 years? I don’t believe that is referring to earthly years as we know them.

Literally science debunks such an assertion as it has proven the human body cannot live so long.

The Bible has similar statements which, if interpreted literally, can easily be debunked by science and reason such as the seven days of creation. Science has proven the earth to be over 4 billion years old. There are spiritual connotations in Genesis which most have not grasped.

Thats not an answer to the question I asked. Strawman response.

firedragon

Veteran Member
So you will never accept any future Buddha unless people live to 80,000 years? I

LOH, honestly why is it that you being such a nice person keep ignoring the core of someones question and answer a peripheral matter that was given as a pointer for a simple deduction?

Tell me honestly. You never read this passage in the Tipitaka did you though you claimed to have "studied" it? Did you only read whats in the website or did you actually read and study the way you said? Anyway, that's a side question and most people dont respond directly anyway.

1. What about 10 years? You said 80,000 maybe 80 years, then is 10 years, just 37 days? Is that a lifespan?
2. Does not science debunk all of this?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
The thing about innate knowledge is that it has to be a completely different discussion.

And about you saying that in the 1st century BC at the time of Wallagamba they calculated units of time differently, then you have to provide some kind of evidence for it.

Just one thing fire dragon. Whether we agree or not, I respect your views and I’m trying to learn from you as well, so I value what you share. It’s just friendly discussion, nothing confrontational. You have your own beliefs and you should stick with them.

Having looked into the major religions though, they all await a Promised One.

Buddhists - Maitreya, AmitAbha (Pure Land)
Hinduism (some sects not all) - Kalki Avatar
Zoroastrian Faith - Shah Bahram
Judaism - Lord of Hosts, King of Glory
Christianity - second coming
Islam - 12th Imam

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have read and studied extensively all the Holy Scriptures of all Faiths regarding the Promised One, not just Buddhist and am in no doubt whatever with regard to my findings.

That is a blatant lie. No person could read that much. The Hindu scriptures are so vast that not even Hindu scholars have read them all. The BG is 1/10 000 of Hindu scripture.

See post 130. I'm still waiting.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I meant that Baha’u’llah was not educated but possessed innate knowledge. Those who have studied His Life are aware and acknowledge He was not educated.

“He will thoroughly know by his own super-knowledge” = innate knowledge - not taught but of his own super-knowledge.

I do not believe that either Maitreya or Baha’u’llah are God.
Sorry I missed this thread, before it completely disappears, I have some questions for you. Baha'is make a big deal about Baha'u'llah having "innate" knowledge. Do Baha'is believe all manifestations have this? Because some of them don't seem to... like Abraham and Moses. Then, if he had access to unlimited knowledge about everything, why didn't Baha'u'llah say more about Hinduism and Buddhism? But then what Baha'is do say about Hinduism and Buddhism is to say that "originally" they didn't teach reincarnation and believed in one God. So when did these "wrong" teaching work there way into the teachings? And it was so complete that there is no teaching left that talks about there being one God and not multiple Gods? And that people only live once and not keep returning to an Earthly life in different bodies?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Sorry I missed this thread, before it completely disappears, I have some questions for you. Baha'is make a big deal about Baha'u'llah having "innate" knowledge. Do Baha'is believe all manifestations have this? Because some of them don't seem to... like Abraham and Moses. Then, if he had access to unlimited knowledge about everything, why didn't Baha'u'llah say more about Hinduism and Buddhism? But then what Baha'is do say about Hinduism and Buddhism is to say that "originally" they didn't teach reincarnation and believed in one God. So when did these "wrong" teaching work there way into the teachings? And it was so complete that there is no teaching left that talks about there being one God and not multiple Gods? And that people only live once and not keep returning to an Earthly life in different bodies?

Hi CG. Hope you’re enjoying you’re Christmas. I really like the carols and someone brought us a cake the other day - deeliciouus.

Yes, Baha’u’llah has stated They are all like the sun that returns each day. They are the Suns of Truth, All-Knowing.

I’ve taken some short quotes from “The Tabernacle of Unity” by Baha’u’llah, but my post does not do the topic justice so I strongly suggest you download a copy for yourself, if my answers fall short, as the full version explains it much better than this post.

This book contains certain questions asked of Him, some regarding Hinduism.

https://www.bahai.org/library/autho...abernacle-unity/tabernacle-unity.pdf?a44234d5

Q
“Some of the Hindu Prophets, however, have declared: 'We are God Himself, and it is incumbent upon the entire creation to bear allegiance unto Us.”

It is a very long passage but you can download the Book to read for yourself.

Baha’u’llah is fully aware of Hinduism and answers the question. Quite long but I have just given the short answer.

A
“Concerning the question: "Which of these creeds is acceptable and which of these leaders is to be preferred?", this is the station wherein the following blessed words shine resplendent as the sun: "No distinction do We make between any of His Messengers”

“They have all summoned men unto the Supreme Horizon and imparted the tidings of eternal life.”

Q
“Another of his questions: "Hindus and Zoroastrians do not admit or welcome outsiders who wish to join their ranks.”

A

“The children of men are all brothers, and the prerequisites of brotherhood are manifold. Among them is that one should wish for one's brother that which one wisheth for oneself. Therefore, it behoveth him who is the recipient of an inward or outward gift or who partaketh of the bread of heaven to inform and invite his friends with the utmost love and kindness.”

(I don’t know about now, but then, in Iran, that was the situation. This question presupposes there were either Hindus residing there or discussions were held about Hinduism. There likely were Hindus there but none that sought His Counsel.)

“The distinguished Sáhib, may God graciously aid him, hath written that the Hindus and Zoroastrians do not permit or welcome outsiders who wish to join their ranks. This runneth counter to the purpose underlying the advent of the Messengers of God and to that which hath been revealed in their Books. For those Who have appeared at God's behest have been entrusted with the guidance and education of all people. How could they debar a seeker from the object of his quest, or forbid a wayfarer from the desire of his heart?”

Excerpt from
The Tabernacle of Unity
Bahá’u’lláh

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Straight up question ... try not to avoid it again. Yes or no? Did the Hindus get it wrong?

Yes or no questions are not always applicable, as truth is relative. Especially, about what is right and what is wrong.

It is seen that no one is wrong in their current frame of reference, even science agrees with this.

The thing about Truth is, is that it requires us always to consider different frames of reference.

That is the Elephant Story is it not?

Regards Tony

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes or no questions are not always applicable, as truth is relative. Especially, about what is right and what is wrong.

It is seen that no one is wrong in their current frame of reference, even science agrees with this.

The thing about Truth is, is that it requires us always to consider different frames of reference.

That is the Elephant Story is it not?

Regards Tony
I understand, it is very difficult to say directly, "You're wrong." But in so many other words, phrases, etc, that part is obvious as the noon sun. I was just wishing for something direct.

The Hindus got it wrong.
The Buddhists got it wrong.
The Jews got it wrong.
The Christians got it wrong.

Enjoy.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I understand, it is very difficult to say directly, "You're wrong." But in so many other words, phrases, etc, that part is obvious as the noon sun. I was just wishing for something direct.

The Hindus got it wrong.
The Buddhists got it wrong.
The Jews got it wrong.
The Christians got it wrong.

Enjoy.

I do not see it is my place in life to say that. I can determine for myself, if I have to look at things in another way.

What I have found is that God tells us what is right and what is wrong and I have not been given the position of a judge, nor a jury.

I am only but one person that can read what we will be judged against.

Regards Tony

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I do not see it is my place in life to say that. I can determine for myself, if I have to look at things in another way.

What I have found is that God tells us what is right and what is wrong and I have not been given the position of a judge, nor a jury.

I am only but one person that can read what we will be judged against.

Regards Tony
Yes Tony, you're right about that. I'm wrong. Sorry for my lack of understanding.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
A Buddhist can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Anatman is non-self as opposed to no self.
I see it as process-based metaphysics (conditions give rise to give rise to other conditions; Pratītyasamutpāda - Wikipedia) rather than substance-based metaphysics such as Brahman. "All phenomena are empty of Self." There is no core substance or Self to be found. It doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it means it can't be found. Therefore, it is best to concentrate and focus on what we can observe: cause and effect.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
With all of the fake Buddha quotes I see on the internet, it's a wonder that the suttas have made it thus far!

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
It was suggested in another thread that Hindu and Buddhist scriptures may not accurately reflect the lives of Buddha and Krishna.

I am interested in hearing specifically what scriptures and what parts of these scriptures the denizens of RF feel are flawed or inaccurate with regard to the lives of these two avatara.

I think it's very difficult to say, unless one has an extensive and in-depth knowledge of the relevant scriptures.
In relation to the Buddhist Suttas, the Sutta Nipata is apparently very early, and therefore probably closest to what the Buddha taught. Some other parts of the Pali Canon are probably later additions.
Probably. ;)