• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Baha’is really grateful for tests?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Do Baha’is believe ‘everything’ that Baha’u’llah said in this prayer?

I have tried to say this prayer but I cannot say it anymore since I feel it would be dishonest, since I do not really believe everything that it says.

O Thou Whose tests are a healing medicine to such as are nigh unto Thee, Whose sword is the ardent desire of all them that love Thee, Whose dart is the dearest wish of those hearts that yearn after Thee, Whose decree is the sole hope of them that have recognized Thy truth! I implore Thee, by Thy divine sweetness and by the splendors of the glory of Thy face, to send down upon us from Thy retreats on high that which will enable us to draw nigh unto Thee. Set, then, our feet firm, O my God, in Thy Cause, and enlighten our hearts with the effulgence of Thy knowledge, and illumine our breasts with the brightness of Thy names.

Bahá’u’lláh

O Thou Whose tests are a… • Tests and Difficulties • Bahá’í Prayers

Maybe we are not supposed to understand this prayer literally, but how then are we supposed to understand it?

Do Baha’is really believe that tests are a healing medicine for those who want to draw closer to God?​
That the sword of God the ardent desire of all them that love God?​
That the dart of God the dearest wish of those hearts that yearn after God?​
That God’s decree the sole hope of them that have recognized God’s truth?​

I don’t think so, but maybe I am wrong.

I think this idea that we are supposed to be ‘grateful for the tests’ that God sends us is a unique teaching of the Baha’i Faith, but maybe I am wrong.
Will anyone in another religion who is grateful for tests please stand up and raise their hand?

Thanks, @Trailblazer :)

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I probably suggested this to you before, but well...

I used to be a Catholic and in especially in Catholic spirituality, people who suffer are considered "closer" to Christ who suffered, too, to the point of some of them having stigmata ...

I'm not really an expert about Baha'ullah's life but he seemed to call himself "the suffering one" a lot .... in case you have a concept of suffering similar to the Catholic one - maybe you could become more "Baha'ullah-like" though your suffering ... Take care. :heart:

:hugehug:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

I have tried to say this prayer but I cannot say it anymore since I feel it would be dishonest, since I do not really believe everything that it says.

O Thou Whose tests are a healing medicine to such as are nigh unto Thee, Whose sword is the ardent desire of all them that love Thee, Whose dart is the dearest wish of those hearts that yearn after Thee, Whose decree is the sole hope of them that have recognized Thy truth! I implore Thee, by Thy divine sweetness and by the splendors of the glory of Thy face, to send down upon us from Thy retreats on high that which will enable us to draw nigh unto Thee. Set, then, our feet firm, O my God, in Thy Cause, and enlighten our hearts with the effulgence of Thy knowledge, and illumine our breasts with the brightness of Thy names.

Bahá’u’lláh

Maybe we are not supposed to understand this prayer literally, but how then are we supposed to understand it?

Do Baha’is really believe that tests are a healing medicine for those who want to draw closer to God?​

I think this idea that we are supposed to be ‘grateful for the tests’ that God sends us is a unique teaching of the Baha’i Faith, but maybe I am wrong.
Will anyone in another religion who is grateful for tests please stand up and raise their hand?

We live in a world that is often far from our ideals. War rages between Russia and Ukraine. We may become sick and will eventually die. People we thought we could trust and rely on are not what they seem. Everything that happens to us good or bad is an opportunity to develop spiritually and become better people.

I've had times when particular writings have seemed problematic and troubled me in some way. I'm comfortable with verses in the prayer but I'm not the kind of person who prays for tests and difficulties. Life's hard enough already.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I've had times when particular writings have seemed problematic and troubled me in some way. I'm comfortable with verses in the prayer but I'm not the kind of person who prays for tests and difficulties. Life's hard enough already.
My life is hard enough already without praying for more tests! I have to pray to get through the ones I have and pray for them to let up.

I guess one reason that prayer makes me uncomfortable is because I read it and cannot feel like what it is says it makes me feel less than, since I imagine others feel that way. Maybe they don't though. There are a lot of prayers I have a problem saying because I feel like a phony.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself

Bahá’u’lláh

What sometimes Baha'is don't realize is that prayer (I think) and other prayers under Tests and Difficulties is that we are asking for Tests and Difficulties when we say those prayers. I don't have a authoritative source for this, but this is what I have heard. I don't say those prayers because while I appreciate that tests are beneficial that doesn't mean I want to ask for them. I don't live a difficult life, I have had an autistic son, but he is now 34 years old and I got over the depression it caused me in the late 1990s. I was laid off in January 2001, and didn't get a job again because of my mental handicaps in part, but I got over that long ago. Besides, by the grace of God we survived financially. I ask for nothing more. I got depressed several years ago because of disunity in my Baha'i community that involved my wife Sara and that my LSA did nothing about that, but that is in the rear view mirror. I don't want any more tests like that right now, however, as a normal person that doesn't want to suffer, I don't say those prayers. It would be dishonest for me to say "That the dart of God the dearest wish of those hearts that yearn after God?" are something I wish for.

However, I will say that these tests at the time have helped my spiritual development. It's hard for me specify how, however. Detachment may be one. But I don't want Sara to die tomorrow, for example. Today she estimated 76 as the age she will die, and that made me sad enough. She is 68.

Truthseeker

I used to be a Catholic and in especially in Catholic spirituality, people who suffer are considered "closer" to Christ who suffered, too, to the point of some of them having stigmata ...
Like Francis of Assisi. Now there was an actual saint. Most "saints" in the Catholic church don't deserve that appellation but Francis did. I know something about that through my wife Sara, and my reading of history also. She is a big Francis admirer, and has good knowledge of Catholic personages because she was born into a Catholic family, though Catholic teachings never "took" with her.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What sometimes Baha'is don't realize is that prayer (I think) and other prayers under Tests and Difficulties is that we are asking for Tests and Difficulties when we say those prayers. I don't have a authoritative source for this, but this is what I have heard.
I never knew that but maybe that is what @Dawnofhope was getting at in his post. It all makes sense now, and I'll have to be sure not to say those prayers again, the ones that seem like they are asking for tests. I have been saying this one and I think it is safe to say:

I adjure Thee by Thy might, O my God! Let no harm beset me in times of tests, and in moments of heedlessness guide my steps aright through Thine inspiration. Thou art God, potent art Thou to do what Thou desirest. No one can withstand Thy Will or thwart Thy Purpose.

The Báb​

I don't say those prayers because while I appreciate that tests are beneficial that doesn't mean I want to ask for them. I don't live a difficult life, I have had an autistic son, but he is now 34 years old and I got over the depression it caused me in the late 1990s. I was laid off in January 2001, and didn't get a job again because of my mental handicaps in part, but I got over that long ago. Besides, by the grace of God we survived financially. I ask for nothing more. I got depressed several years ago because of disunity in my Baha'i community that involved my wife Sara and that my LSA did nothing about that, but that is in the rear view mirror. I don't want any more tests like that right now, however, as a normal person that doesn't want to suffer, I don't say those prayers. It would be dishonest for me to say "That the dart of God the dearest wish of those hearts that yearn after God?" are something I wish for.
Thanks for your honesty. I know what your tests have been and while I don't like comparing, since only God knows who has had it worse, I think I have had it worse than you and most people I know, Baha'is included and I am really angry about that. I used to be angry at God but now I am not angry at God, I am angry, soooooooooo angry, because it isn't fair, it really isn't. As such, I do not feel guilty for not being an 'active Baha'i' since what has happened to me in life was not my fault.
However, I will say that these tests at the time have helped my spiritual development. It's hard for me specify how, however. Detachment may be one. But I don't want Sara to die tomorrow, for example. Today she estimated 76 as the age she will die, and that made me sad enough. She is 68.
It is really easy to see how tests have helped our spiritual development after the tests are over, but mine are never over, they just keep coming.
Yes, one advantage of tests is that they lead to detachment but I am so detached from all my tests that I cannot ever feel anything anymore which is why that video about Baha'u'llah did not move me. If I allow myself to feel I get so depressed I don't want to live. That is how I feel most of the time anyway, but it is under the surface, which is where it has to be if I am going to function as I have to.

Nobody wants their spouse to die if they love their spouse, but eventually it happens anyway and then we have to pick up the pieces and go on.
How can Sara estimate when she is going to die?

Truthseeker

Yes, one advantage of tests is that they lead to detachment but I am so detached from all my tests that I cannot ever feel anything anymore which is why that video about Baha'u'llah did not move me.
That's not what I understand detachment is. Detachment is not about not feeling anything to me, it is about being detached from self, from material things, approval of people, things of that nature.
If I allow myself to feel I get so depressed I don't want to live. That is how I feel most of the time anyway, but it is under the surface, which is where it has to be if I am going to function as I have to.
I understand why you don't want to feel anything.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That's not what I understand detachment is. Detachment is not about not feeling anything to me, it is about being detached from self, from material things, approval of people, things of that nature.
I know that detachment is about being detached from self, from material things, approval of people, and things of that nature.

When I said that I am so detached from all my tests that I cannot feel anything anymore (which is why that video about Baha'u'llah did not move me) I meant that because of enduring so many tests I am detached from my feelings. I cannot feel anything anymore since I have to be detached from my feelings in order to survive!
I understand why you don't want to feel anything.
Thanks Duane. I think you do.