• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are babies atheist?

I find some people's persistence in this matter to be amusing. Asymmetrical means something lacks symmetry. Apolitical means someone abstains from politics. Asymptomatic means without symptoms.

But atheist, rather than the obvious 'without theism', simply HAS to mean more than that, because......reasons.

Prefix Meaning Example(Greek)
a, an

without, not

asexual, amoral, anarchy, anhydrous, Anabaptist, anachronism

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Is a baby truly without theism, though? They are baptized, blessed, raised into various forms of theism. Gods might smile on them, they might not. An infant is often surrounded and influenced by theism, even if they can't believe it.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I find some people's persistence in this matter to be amusing. Asymmetrical means something lacks symmetry. Apolitical means someone abstains from politics. Asymptomatic means without symptoms.

But atheist, rather than the obvious 'without theism', simply HAS to mean more than that, because......reasons.

Prefix Meaning Example(Greek)
a, an

without, not

asexual, amoral, anarchy, anhydrous, Anabaptist, anachronism
So let us apply your logic.

A-theism

Something that is not theism.

A-theist

Something that is not theist

What is a theist: someone who believes god exists.

Therefore a-theist is something that is not someone who believes in god.

Therfore rocks are atheists.

Satisfied?

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
So let us apply your logic.

A-theism

Something that is not theism.

A-theist

Something that is not theist

What is a theist: someone who believes god exists.

Therefore a-theist is something that is not someone who believes in god.

Therfore rocks are atheists.

Satisfied?
Rocks are hyper intelligent beings that are beyond such silly notions as "atheism" and "theism."

Curious George

Veteran Member
Rocks are hyper intelligent beings that are beyond such silly notions as "atheism" and "theism."
I suppose if they truly are beings it is possible. But this is only the first step. Just wait until we get to abstract concepts. I think one of ny favorites is that theism is an atheist.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Using a correct definition of atheism, i.e. without belief in theism, I would say absolutely not, a child's mind is a blank slate, nada, niente...... Some religions say this is not true, that newborns may have the sins of the father, or forefathers, but if gods and goddesses are all imaginary from the git-go, I can't see how a child would 'inherit' the sins of the father, that doesn't seem possible. Men create gods....... gods don't create men.

The generally accepted definition of atheism is "disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods"

Curious George

Veteran Member
The generally accepted definition of atheism is "disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods"
Using differrent language corpora? Or just based on what dictionaries you have surveyed?

Regardless, commonly used does not entail the most logical usage.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Using differrent language corpora? Or just based on what dictionaries you have surveyed?

Regardless, commonly used does not entail the most logical usage.

Dictionary definitions, English language dictionaries, both ukb and american English, plus French.

Then heading off to the Greek roots of the word
"a" (not) "theist" (one who believes in the existence of a god or gods)

Curious George

Veteran Member
Dictionary definitions, English language dictionaries, both ukb and american English, plus French.

Then heading off to the Greek roots of the word
"a" (not) "theist" (one who believes in the existence of a god or gods)
Legion wrote some good posts regarding language use over time regarding atheism. If you are interested I can dig them out. But I can't really argue them, my background is not strong enough.

Also interesting we can find plenty of disagreement behind how these words a- and -theist fit together and what they are then supposed to mean. But as far as the a=not and theist =person who believes a god exists. Rocks are atheists...is that what you mean to say?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Are babies atheist? What do you think? Yes? No? Please explain.
Sure they are. Atheism is a very simple concept. Anything that does not hold some form of god-belief in atheistic.

IMO that would only change when they were taught some god-concept, and then only if they decided to adopt it.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Sure they are. Atheism is a very simple concept. Anything that does not hold some form of god-belief in atheistic.

IMO that would only change when they were taught some god-concept, and then only if they decided to adopt it.
I'm diametrically opposed to atheist tables and chairs.

Also to teaching them god concepts.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Legion wrote some good posts regarding language use over time regarding atheism. If you are interested I can dig them out. But I can't really argue them, my background is not strong enough.

Also interesting we can find plenty of disagreement behind how these words a- and -theist fit together and what they are then supposed to mean. But as far as the a=not and theist =person who believes a god exists. Rocks are atheists...is that what you mean to say?

No, what i meant to say is,what i said

I will qualify by boldly claiming that a way, method, tool to think is required for belief. Not sure rocks have evolved enough to develop the required ability

This give a pretty good explanation
atheism - Dictionary Definition

And here is a piece on the entomology
The Divine Conspiracy