• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are babies atheist?

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Everyone is born with pre-programmed knowledge of the Creator, all children have a limited understanding of right and wrong. For these reason they will grow up with a deep desire within to find the meaning of life and connect to a higher spiritual force. May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala, (The Most Glorified, The Most High) guide them to the right path. Ameen

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Yes. You can divide the population of the earth into two groups: those who are theists and those who are not. We call them theists and atheists. The prefix a- literally means "not".

I say if the atheists want us to compare them to babies, who are we to deny them!

Erebus

Call babies atheists if you wish, I don't think they believe in any gods (though I can't say I remember what I did/didn't think as a baby). I'm not sure how useful it is to call them atheists though, unless perhaps you're up against somebody who thinks all babies naturally believe in their particular god/gods.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Using a correct definition of atheism, i.e. without belief in theism, I would say absolutely not, a child's mind is a blank slate, nada, niente...... Some religions say this is not true, that newborns may have the sins of the father, or forefathers, but if gods and goddesses are all imaginary from the git-go, I can't see how a child would 'inherit' the sins of the father, that doesn't seem possible. Men create gods....... gods don't create men.
Interesting twist. I would have thought babies are "without belief in theism"

Technically, perhaps, but the definition has no utility, so I'll say they are neither theist not atheist.

If it is of no utility to define atheist that way, and there is another way to define atheist...why not use the way that offers utilitity?
Yes. You can divide the population of the earth into two groups: those who are theists and those who are not. We call them theists and atheists. The prefix a- literally means "not".
Why stop there...you can divide all things into two categories...athiest and theist. So rocks, space, the universe...all atheists.

Grandliseur

Are babies atheist? What do you think? Yes? No? Please explain.
Many things are either or, not anything goes, all things are true.

If atheists want babies to be atheists when born, then their stance cannot be a matter of intelligent choice; instead, it is the believer who now makes the intelligent choice.
You don't get to have your cake and eat it too. (Urban dic explanation: This phrase is easier to understand if it is read as "You can't eat your cake, and have it too". )

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
As babies do not even have a concept of their own self-existence, it can't rightfully be said they are theist or atheist - if anything "likely to be Christian" or "likely to be Buddhist" or what not is probably the most accurate description to describe a baby as it acknowledges factors that are in play now (largely the lack of any held beliefs) and factors that will in the future shape the baby's beliefs (such as societal and familial influences).

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Everyone is born with pre-programmed knowledge of the Creator, all children have a limited understanding of right and wrong. For these reason they will grow up with a deep desire within to find the meaning of life and connect to a higher spiritual force. May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala, (The Most Glorified, The Most High) guide them to the right path. Ameen
That certainly was not true in my own case, though as a deeply devout Muslim, you are welcome to pretend this is true. It is helpful if ones beliefs do mirror reality however.

For example, with my memory from 8 - 10 weeks, now I can tell you what I was feeling, but at the time I had no words to express what the sensation. You probably would have heard me gurgling happily as I looked up into my huge blossoming cherry tree that was back-lit by the morning sun. I can say NOW that I was in awe of the stunning beauty that figuratively took my breath away. So, sorry, no inherent thought of god or preprogrammed anything, just a natural reaction to something totally beautiful.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Depends on your definitions. Technically implicit atheist covers babies but a lot of people prefer non-theist, of which atheist is a part of but not interchangeable.
"Non-theist" is nothing more than a euphemism for atheist. The terms are directly interchangeable.

Call babies atheists if you wish, I don't think they believe in any gods (though I can't say I remember what I did/didn't think as a baby). I'm not sure how useful it is to call them atheists though, unless perhaps you're up against somebody who thinks all babies naturally believe in their particular god/gods.
Try looking at it in the opposite direction: what is a useful definition of "atheist"? More to the point, what's a definition that reflects how the word is generally used?

Once you've settled on one you think is correct, ask yourself "does this definition imply that babies are atheists?"

The question of whether babies are or aren't atheists isn't important in and of itself. Where it becomes important is that whatever criteria you use to decide who is and isn't an atheist, if those criteria imply that babies aren't atheists, they end up not reflecting how we use "atheist" when describing adults.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
That certainly was not true in my own case, though as a deeply devout Muslim, you are welcome to pretend this is true. It is helpful if ones beliefs do mirror reality however.

For example, with my memory from 8 - 10 weeks, now I can tell you what I was feeling, but at the time I had no words to express what the sensation. You probably would have heard me gurgling happily as I looked up into my huge blossoming cherry tree that was back-lit by the morning sun. I can say NOW that I was in awe of the stunning beauty that figuratively took my breath away. So, sorry, no inherent thought of god or preprogrammed anything, just a natural reaction to something totally beautiful.

I hate to break it to you but such a memory is likely either entirely fabricated or mostly fabricated. It is actually not very hard for a person to unknowingly create a false memory or add to existing memories. Due to the way our brains developed it is highly unlikely you have a memory from such an early age. Not to say it is not possible at all, but there is a fair chance it is a fake memory or mostly a fake memory. If any part of it is true, then it would most likely be any emotional component.

ArtieE

"Non-theist" is nothing more than a euphemism for atheist. The terms are directly interchangeable.

Try looking at it in the opposite direction: what is a useful definition of "atheist"? More to the point, what's a definition that reflects how the word is generally used?

Once you've settled on one you think is correct, ask yourself "does this definition imply that babies are atheists?"

The question of whether babies are or aren't atheists isn't important in and of itself. Where it becomes important is that whatever criteria you use to decide who is and isn't an atheist, if those criteria imply that babies aren't atheists, they end up not reflecting how we use "atheist" when describing adults.
If a person says "I'm an atheist" the one thing you can be 100% certain about is that this person is not a theist. The definition is already set in stone and we all use it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Are babies atheist? What do you think? Yes? No? Please explain.
I've never been a believer, ie, always been an atheist.
Since there's been no change, I was therefore born an atheist.

The above isn't just a semantic game.
I say there are genetic predispositions to belief & disbelief.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I was never programmed with any such belief.
And when I first heard of it, I thought the idea was utterly ridiculous.
But of right & wrong....that seems to have a genetic component.