• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Atheists evil?

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
If you want to define evil like that then yes, atheists are evil. I don't think that's what you believe evil to be however.

As posted repeatedly on this forum and reposted in my "examples" above, that is exactly what I believe. Evil isn't a force any more than darkness is a force. It's simply a lack of God.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
If evil is defined as being away from or without God just like darkness is without light or cold is without heat, then does this mean atheists or anyone else who chooses to be without God are evil?

You are defining a word with a string of words that needs to be defined in itself. What does it mean to be away from or without God?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
As posted repeatedly on this forum and reposted in my "examples" above, that is exactly what I believe. Evil isn't a force any more than darkness is a force. It's simply a lack of God.

So then Hitler wasn't evil? Interesting way of looking at things

Road Warrior

Or are you simply upset because this time, by specifically claiming that atheists are evil simply because of their lack of belief in any god concept, you have been called out?

Not upset at all. Simply curious about your aggression on the matter and repeated violation of this rule:

Forum rules:
1. Off-topic personal comments about Members and Staff
Personal attacks are strictly prohibited either on the forums or by private messaging, frubal comments, signature lines and visitor messages. Critique each other's ideas all you want, but under no circumstances personally attack each other or the staff.

Feel free to disagree with my definition, my beliefs or the OP, but repeatedly making statements like "you simply upset" or "you have been called out" are not in line with the TOS. Have a nice day, TW.

Road Warrior

So then Hitler wasn't evil? Interesting way of looking at things

With due regards to Godwin's Law, yes he was. Simply because a person uses religion as a tool doesn't mean they are good or "with God". Look at pedophile priests and Fred Phelps for other examples of people who are without God.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
With due regards to Godwin's Law, yes he was. Simply because a person uses religion as a tool doesn't mean they are good or "with God". Look at pedophile priests and Fred Phelps for other examples of people who are without God.

I also recognise the no true Scotsman fallacy

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Obviously. Just like your post(s).

God bless you for recognizing that simple fact. :angel2:

As in the examples I've posted above to Tumbleweed, I don't believe "evil" is a force in its own right any more than cold or darkness is. It is simply a lack of God/goodness.
IS god good though and even if god is good, does god act as a source of goodness (moreover how would one go about tapping that source), and even if he is a source of goodness is he the ONLY source of goodness?

It is a rather large leap you make.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If evil is defined as being away from or without God just like darkness is without light or cold is without heat, then does this mean atheists or anyone else who chooses to be without God are evil?

Thoughts?

I don't believe in evil men. I believe in ignorance.
Ignorance allows man to accept what's been created in darkness as the truth. If you want to define evil I would perhaps define it as a lack of truth.

The darkness is just shadows. The absence of light. If one denies the light then one is left with only shadows to believe in. Belief in the shadows can cause men to commit evil acts.

So men are not evil but ignorance of the light can cause men to do evil things.

Coincidentally, is anyone curious why atheists love to bring up the subject of evil?

To question why a loving God would allow it.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Not upset at all. Simply curious about your aggression on the matter...
You started a thread, asked for others thoughts on your position, and it has been given.

and repeated violation of this rule:

Forum rules:
1. Off-topic personal comments about Members and Staff
Personal attacks are strictly prohibited either on the forums or by private messaging, frubal comments, signature lines and visitor messages. Critique each other's ideas all you want, but under no circumstances personally attack each other or the staff.

Feel free to disagree with my definition, my beliefs or the OP, but repeatedly making statements like "you simply upset" or "you have been called out" are not in line with the TOS. Have a nice day, TW.

If you feel any violations of Forum Rules have been demonstrated, you are encouraged to report it. All reports on Moderators are handled by RF Administration.

idav

Being
Premium Member

God is supposed to be everywhere but you don't think god would stick around while we act like animals. Are people with god when they have sex with a spouse vs having an affair?

Road Warrior

IS god good though and even if god is good, does god act as a source of goodness (moreover how would one go about tapping that source), and even if he is a source of goodness is he the ONLY source of goodness?

It is a rather large leap you make.

All beliefs and things taken on faith regardless if one is a theist, deist, atheist, whatever, are a large leap. A leap of faith to be exact.

In my spiritual journey which began being raised in RLDS, becoming an atheist, then agnostic and then coming back to a belief that there is more to existence than simply what we see in front of our noses, this is, in part, what I've come to believe.

Road Warrior

God is supposed to be everywhere but you don't think god would stick around while we act like animals. Are people with god when they have sex with a spouse vs having an affair?

The concept of free will says people are free to choose. The dichotomy of the Universe allows them a choice. "To be or not to be", to be with God or without. Their call.

To answer your question, I do not know since I cannot see what is in their heart. Usually adultery is wrong since it harms another or breaks a promise, but there are circumstances in which it is not such as by mutual consent.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
All beliefs and things taken on faith regardless if one is a theist, deist, atheist, whatever, are a large leap. A leap of faith to be exact.

I disagree. I'm confident that when I get off work my car will start allowing be to drive home. I'm confident about most things based on evidence. As you know..faith is believing something without the requirement of evidence.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?

In my spiritual journey which began being raised in RLDS, becoming an atheist, then agnostic and then coming back to a belief that there is more to existence than simply what we see in front of our noses, this is, in part, what I've come to believe.
I see, yet you should realise that in taking such a leap of faith you arrive at a position by which if others do not share your faith all you are standing on is air - from the perspective of those without your faith, it is not a position which seems like you defy the laws of physics but rather that you are beginning to fall.

A leap of faith only seems solid to those with that same faith, to everyone else, the position is untenable.