• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Atheists evil?

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
Are you saying that God couldn't possibly create a world without evil where we still had free will?

No. God can create a Universe with 23 dimensions the size of pea, but the one we have is dichotomic. It is what it is. What does this have to do with the OP?

If evil is defined as "chicken", then I could sure go for some fried evil right now...

Are you defining chicken as the evil in Universe?

Road Warrior

I find it amusing that free will requires evil yet even with evil free will doesn't exist.

You believe you have no free will? Does this mean you believe yourself be simply a biochemical automaton or "meat computer" who only responds to programming with no independent thoughts?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
No. God can create a Universe with 23 dimensions the size of pea, but the one we have is dichotomic. It is what it is.
... Because God made it that way, according to you. So, either God created a world with evil which wasn't necesarry, or God didn't have the power to create a world without evil in it. Which is it?

What does this have to do with the OP?
You brought up the "problem of evil" as often used by atheists against the concept of a God and a possible objection to it. I reftued that objection.

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
If this is what you can consider evil...Id accept that over showing my followers the true love of the old testement God...he was very loving...

Road Warrior

IF evil is described as "being away from or without God', then,yes, atheists are evil.

However, it is doubtful that anyone with any understanding of the nature of man would reasonably make such a definition.:facepalm:

What is the nature of man, in your POV?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I find the concept of evil irrelevant to the existence of gods. Presuming that God exists,
if what he hath wrought we would call "evil", then that's God's prerogative & our problem.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
You believe you have no free will? Does this mean you believe yourself be simply a biochemical automaton or "meat computer" who only responds to programming with no independent thoughts?

I see no evidence to the contrary. I am curious as to what an "independent thought" is. Do you think in German, or contemplate things you do not know? Do you debate whether you are an ilunga, or whether the shoggoth needs feeding?

Last edited:

Road Warrior

While it is true we respond to our training, it is also true that a baby raised in an environment without being taught a language would nonetheless continue to think.

Additionally, this goes back to the OP. If a person is not responsible for themselves because they are simply biochemical computers devoid of free thought, then is it immoral to destroy them when they become defective?

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Think yes, but would they be capable of thought in anywhere near the same degree of complexity? Many of the concepts which we utilise in thought are developed through complex interactions... without those interactions would those same concepts be available to be expressed as thought :/ perhaps it would be little different than that of a monkey or similar animal with relatively high brain capabilities...

Last edited:

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
I see no evidence to the contrary. I am curious as to what an "independent thought" is. Do you think in German, or comtemplate things you do not know? Do you debate whether you are an ilunga, or whether the shoggoth needs feeding?

I believe Sam Harris feels the same way...we are prisoners to what the brain chooses...there is evidence that your brain decides what to do before you're conscious of the decision you are about to make...it's fascinating stuff.

Road Warrior

Think yes, but would they be capable of thought in anywhere near the same degree of complexity?
It would be an excellent experiment. It's been several decades since I completed my behavioral psych degree, but IIRC, several experiments have been done on animals during comparative psychology research. Experiments such as Harry Harlow's.

A Science Odyssey: People and Discoveries: Harry Harlow

rhesus

monkey2a.jpg

A Troubled Man

If evil is defined as being away from or without God just like darkness is without light or cold is without heat, then does this mean atheists or anyone else who chooses to be without God are evil?

Based on your logic, everyone is evil because gods have never been shown to exist.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
While it is true we respond to our training, it is also true that a baby raised in an environment without being taught a language would nonetheless continue to think.

Additionally, this goes back to the OP. If a person is not responsible for themselves because they are simply biochemical computers devoid of free thought, then is it immoral to destroy them when they become defective?

Do we not quarantine or delete viruses? Do we not recall damaged goods and vehicles? We would imprison hurricanes and forest fires if we could.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
What is the nature of man, in your POV?
As a part of nature, human beings are subject to the regular and predictable patterns in nature. Evil, as it is subjectively defined in the OP with obvious self-serving intent, becomes victimless and arbitrary. Evil is intent. Not absence of belief in human concepts of supernatural beings.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Who in their right mind would define Secular Humanism, with it's clear and defined mission of reason, ethics and social justice as evil?

Or is it more reasonable to define evil as the purely human intent to cause harm on others?

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
Based on your logic, everyone is evil because gods have never been shown to exist.

I think a better way to word this would be, everyone is evil because everyone doesn't believe in every god...so if you dont particularly believe in Thor or Zeus you would be without god, therefore evil.