• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Angels Capable of Love and Hate?

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I think this is probably a question more suited to the Christian view of angels in particular, but Jews and Muslims- please do answer if you have something to offer.

In the Christian worldview of the Catholic Church, which extends to all traditional sects for the sake of this argument- angels are said to be believers in God through some kind of agency. That's why angels like Michael are saints in the Catholic Church. Because they made a free choice to serve God.

In contrast to this, is those angels like Satan, who Christians say chose not to obey God and his divine plan.

Presumably from this, one could proceed to some rather anthropomorphic notions of angels. If angels have agency and make choices as humans do- presumably they can feel love for God and the people in their charge.

Presumably, Satan and his angels can feel hatred and malice.

This is a question I got to thinking about for some reason...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It would be interesting if angels were somehow able to worship God, but unable to love God.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
It would be interesting if angels were somehow able to worship God, but unable to love God.

Yes it would, and it is something Muslims especially would have to try to explain. Muslims don't believe angels have free agency, because they believe Satan and the rebels are Jinn- something else entirely.

74x12

I think this is probably a question more suited to the Christian view of angels in particular, but Jews and Muslims- please do answer if you have something to offer.

In the Christian worldview of the Catholic Church, which extends to all traditional sects for the sake of this argument- angels are said to be believers in God through some kind of agency. That's why angels like Michael are saints in the Catholic Church. Because they made a free choice to serve God.

In contrast to this, is those angels like Satan, who Christians say chose not to obey God and his divine plan.

Presumably from this, one could proceed to some rather anthropomorphic notions of angels. If angels have agency and make choices as humans do- presumably they can feel love for God and the people in their charge.

Yes! I believe they have as much free will and personality as we do. Finally you make a thread I can agree with.

allfoak

Alchemist

Angels represent the Laws of Nature and are the instruments of Nature's God.

Phantasman

Once the kingdom came, the Holy Spirit made using angels moot.

I neither believe them nor seek them.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I

In a classical (as in the oldest extant texts, aka Judaism), no. Angels are emanations of Gods will and therefore are only able to perform the tasks suited to their nature. They have no free will of their own. There were, however, many angels tasks with nasty jobs.

In the Christian context, the rebel angel story line occurs much later in history and contradicts this notion. So, three possibilities arise in that regard:

A) It was Gods will to have rebel angels, and they did as tasked. They are only malignant in the eyes of man.

B) Christian doctrine doesn't have authority, since they didn't understand what an Angel was. Basically, at this juncture the old testament books refute the new testament. The very idea of this refutes any notion that it is Gods word that lays in the newer additions.

C) The angels really did rebel, and Judaism AND Christianity are both wrong. (A+B, basically.) In this case, both religions are erroneous on the nature of angels.

I don't believe that because one had came first one is more right, but the authenticity of both is challenged in these ideas. If you cannot understand the basic organization of the heavens, my you are in a pickle so far as calling yourself a religion. :D

Last edited: