• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are all of the answers in the Bible?

Reeddogg

It is evident to most all intelligent people that slavery is a bad idea and and unpious act, but it talks of slavery in the Bible and yet never condones it. Why? or Where?

Rex

Founder
Timothy 6:1-2 NLT
Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them.

Reeddogg

It is evident to most all intelligent people that slavery is a bad idea and and unpious act, but it talks of slavery in the Bible and yet never condones it. Why? or Where?

Rex

Founder
Timothy 6:1-2 NLT
Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them.

amanda

The bible doesn't say that it is wrong the only time its wrong is when the slave is being mistreated and the slave isn't doing what he is told. God said he to has a master up heaven talking to the master of the slave.

tavi

Some people claim to have Biblical backups for slavery. Tell it to the slaves. A popular escape hatch for those defending the wretched practice is Genesis 9:25-27, in which Noah curses his youngest son Canaan and says, "Blessed be the Lord, the God of Shem! May Canaan be the slave of Shem." However, this does not justify the enslavement of the Africans because the Canaanites were Caucasian. The Canaanites were cursed in this prophecy of Noah's and it was fulfilled. Does this justify slavery? No, because these people were worse (evil-er) :wink: than Ham. When Moses was bringing the Israelites into Canaan, God spends most all of Leviticus 18 warning the Israelites not to partcipate in the explicit practices of these cursed people. The "escape hatch" is basically no more than a prophecy against a wicked son and his nation, which is fulfilled.

quick

Reeddogg said:

Slavery is really a red herring, Biblically. The Bible speaks in terms of authority, and all of it comes from God, although man's use of it will surely be perveted by man's utter depravity from sin. In fact, all suffering comes from sin, and it will be here in its many forms until the Second Coming. There are even rules for how to treat slaves in the Old Testament, as slavery is a fact of life.

We always think in terms of our condition on this earth. The Bible often takes a different take. In fact, perhaps this verse from Paul says it best in Phillipians 4:

10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last (17) you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned before, but you lacked opportunity.
11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be (18) content in whatever circumstances I am.
12 I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going (19) hungry, both of having abundance and (20) suffering need.
13 I can do all things through Him who (21) strengthens me.
14 Nevertheless, you have done well to (22) share with me in my affliction.

As Paul is saying, we take our joy and contentment in the Lord whatever our condition or situation--indeed, our joy is independent of the material condition in which we find ourselves. We are in this world such a short time. We needn't worry about it. Our reward is in heaven.

As all of us are either slaves to sin or slaves to the Lord, I suppose we are all slaves. Slavery is really a secular issue to be decided in our secular judgment, informed by Biblical principles to the extent applicable, like Mark 12:

Jesus answered, "The foremost is, '(19) HEAR, O ISRAEL! THE LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD;
30 (20) AND YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH.'
31 "The second is this, '(21) YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' There is no other commandment greater than these."

If you do not feel slavery fits within these broad and overreaching principles, then slavery is wrong. Simple.