• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are all atheists facing Hell?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I didn't state that they were.
Hades is used as a "word", that could mean a temporary, however Gehenna isn't traditionally assumed to be in accordance with some timeline. The gehenna part is just 'destruction'. It doesn't mean it isn't a permanent state. There is some jewish 》 early christian reference to this. I'm not aware of a specific notation that hell/gehenna, isn't permanent.

Since 'emptied-out hell' is cast vacant into that symbolic ' second death ' of Revelation 20:13-14 then biblical hell is temporary. Since Jesus was only in biblical hell for a temporary amount of time, then if biblical hell was permanent then Jesus would still be the Bible's hell.

Everything thrown into a fireplace is gone forever. ( ashes Not put back together again ).
So, the fires of Gehenna ( garbage pit ) destroyed everything thrown into Gehenna.
So, that to me is why Psalms 92:7 can state that the wicked will be ' destroyed forever ' ( permanent destruction ).

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
And yet Jesus said that the gates of HELL are wide.

I am curious where that ^ above ^ verse is.
I find at Matthew 16:18 B that the gates of hell will Not prevail.......
Jesus has keys to unlock temporary biblical hell according to Revelation 1:18
The ' gates of hell ' will Not prevail because emptied-out hell is cast vacant into that symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell according to Revelation 20:13-14.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
No, I'm not. My interpretation of the scriptures may be different from yours, but I would never call Jesus a liar, and if that's what you're accusing me of, I have nothing more to say to you.
Interpretation? Interpretation means within a reasonable estimation of what a verse means; your comment wasn't biblical at all.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
No, I'm not. My interpretation of the scriptures may be different from yours, but I would never call Jesus a liar, and if that's what you're accusing me of, I have nothing more to say to you.
"Eternal", etc, doesn't mean what you theorize. Thereby unbiblical, thereby either inferring that Jesus was wrong, or you're not using the whole bible, or something like that.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I am curious where that ^ above ^ verse is.
I find at Matthew 16:18 B that the gates of hell will Not prevail.......
Jesus has keys to unlock temporary biblical hell according to Revelation 1:18
The ' gates of hell ' will Not prevail because emptied-out hell is cast vacant into that symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell according to Revelation 20:13-14.
If there is any inference to a hell that doesn't end, ie eternal hell, then you're going to have to revise your interpretation. Since the other hell is cast into Gehenna, that would leave Gehenna as the eternal hell, /no end to it.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If there is any inference to a hell that doesn't end, ie eternal hell, then you're going to have to revise your interpretation. Since the other hell is cast into Gehenna, that would leave Gehenna as the eternal hell, /no end to it.

Biblical hell is just the common temporary grave for the sleeping dead.
Gehenna was Not a grave, but a garbage pit for destroying things.
So, Gehenna is a fitting word for: destruction. The wicked destroyed forever according to Psalms 92:7.
So, in that sense there is No end to destruction, but there is an end to the grave.
Our last enemy ' death ' will be brought to nothing according to 1 Corinthians 15:26.
We are offered two (2) choices at 2 Peter 3:9 to either ' repent ' or ' perish ' (be destroyed)
Jesus will destroy Satan according to Hebrews 2:14 B.
Sinner Satan ends up in ' second death ' according to Revelation 21:8
So, ' second death ' is a fitting term for: destruction.
Whereas biblical hell is just the sleeping place for the unconscious dead until resurrection day, or meaning Jesus' coming millennium-long day of governing over Earth when as Acts of the Apostles 24:15 says that there ' is going to be a resurrection......' . A resurrection for those in the grave (hell), but destruction (Gehenna) for the wicked.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Interpretation? Interpretation means within a reasonable estimation of what a verse means; ...........

Jesus used logical reasoning on the old Hebrew Scriptures on which to base (interpret) his teachings.
That is why Jesus often prefaced his statements with the words, " it is written....." meaning already written down in the old Hebrew Scriptures. Since the Bible is Not written ABC as a dictionary then we need to research the Bible by topic or subject arrangement. Taking one subject or one topic at a time and see what the various writers had to say on that topic or subject. Through the use of corresponding or parallel cross-reference verses and passages that way we can see the internal harmony among the many Bible writers.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Jesus used logical reasoning on the old Hebrew Scriptures on which to base (interpret) his teachings.
That is why Jesus often prefaced his statements with the words, " it is written....." meaning already written down in the old Hebrew Scriptures. Since the Bible is Not written ABC as a dictionary then we need to research the Bible by topic or subject arrangement. Taking one subject or one topic at a time and see what the various writers had to say on that topic or subject. Through the use of corresponding or parallel cross-reference verses and passages that way we can see the internal harmony among the many Bible writers.
Well, that is part of my argument. If there is an indication that Gehenna / hell,, does not end, via other verses, then destruction does not necessarily mean a finality.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Evangelicalhumanist said:
The deity's creation (all of humanity) instead winds up with a plethora of different beliefs, frequently hostile and harmful to one another
[*]The omnipotent, omniscient God, therefore, has failed utterly -- in which case, it is neither omnipotent nor omniscient.
  • But I disagree with these last two statements. There will always be individuals who claim to have received revelation from God who actually didn't. There's nothing that can be done about that. I don't see that as meaning that God has failed.
But how is it possible a deity such as we are talking about could not know with absolute certainty that such false revelations would occur, and would lead to terrible outcomes -- and then knowing that, still choose "revelation to a few" as the method of choice for making himself and his will known? He would know beyond any doubt whatever that this would lead to failure on a massive scale -- as it has certainly done, by way of proof of what I'm saying.

Shall we still think such a deity anything like perfect or wise? I cannot.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
But how is it possible a deity such as we are talking about could not know with absolute certainty that such false revelations would occur, and would lead to terrible outcomes -- and then knowing that, still choose "revelation to a few" as the method of choice for making himself and his will known? He would know beyond any doubt whatever that this would lead to failure on a massive scale -- as it has certainly done, by way of proof of what I'm saying.

God gave Man dominion
He is not into mind control

you have to think about it

and why choose from mediocrity? ...when the best is at hand to choose from

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
God gave Man dominion
He is not into mind control

you have to think about it

and why choose from mediocrity? ...when the best is at hand to choose from
Which "best" are you referring to? I am not quite able to determine whether God prefers Catholics burning Protestants, or the other way round, or whether He prefers Crusades against Muslims or cutting the heads off of dirty kuffars.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
"Eternal", etc, doesn't mean what you theorize. Thereby unbiblical, thereby either inferring that Jesus was wrong, or you're not using the whole bible, or something like that.
Nope. None of the above. Actually, I'm using the whole Bible and more. No further comment. Have a good day.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

The more you understand the gospel of Jesus Christ, the more you come to realize that endings in mortality really aren't endings at all. God's Plan will not fail, although it may not be accomplished within the time frame you believe it should. I don't really think you've proven anything except that you don't care much for the idea of a Higher Power who interacts on a personal level with His children.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Nope. None of the above. Actually, I'm using the whole Bible and more. No further comment. Have a good day.
Your own interpretation. Actually I read extra biblical writings as well, and use those contextually; however, I don't present that in a biblical context argument.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Whatever. Hell is not a permanent state. And I don't know who you are to say what's biblical and what's not.
That's non Biblical.

Ie if you are presenting an argument that includes biblical reference, it can't obviously contradict the bible.

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Some churches have inferred otherwise, however, the Bible does not mince it's words,

John 3:36
& other verses,
All atheists might be facing Hell.

This is as scary as the threat of not getting any presents at Christmas if you do not believe in Santa.

And it is also obvious why a sacred book like the Bible would contain anything of the sort. It would not stay sacred too long if it did not, probably.

Ciao

- viole

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The more you understand the gospel of Jesus Christ, the more you come to realize that endings in mortality really aren't endings at all. God's Plan will not fail, although it may not be accomplished within the time frame you believe it should. I don't really think you've proven anything except that you don't care much for the idea of a Higher Power who interacts on a personal level with His children.
Perhaps, but I do not think you could demonstrate any of the things implied by your post:
  • that there is a "Higher Power"
  • that it "interacts"
  • that it is "personal"
  • that it has children (which I presume includes both you and I, which makes your argument even harder)
Why do you suppose anybody should care much about something which you imagine and believe, but couldn't demonstrate at all? Would you care about claims that I make, but couldn't verify, that went against your own world-view? I rather think you would not.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Why do you suppose anybody should care much about something which you imagine and believe, but couldn't demonstrate at all? Would you care about claims that I make, but couldn't verify, that went against your own world-view? I rather think you would not.
I've never said anybody should care about what I believe, but occasionally, I run into someone who has an interest. If that's not you, then by all means, just pretend I'm not here. ;) You see, I'm not much into proselytizing, so I'm not actually even trying to prove anything, especially that which is unprovable. A question was posed and I responded to it, that's all. You don't like my belief system. That's okay. I'm used to that.

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I've never said anybody should care about what I believe, but occasionally, I run into someone who has an interest. If that's not you, then by all means, just pretend I'm not here. ;)
But my much deeper question, which most people never see, alas, is "why do you yourself care about what you believe, if you don't actually have a credible and explicable reason for believing it?"

When you get there, you'll know what I'm asking.