• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are all atheists facing Hell?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Of course, and that was the point.You said that if an atheist feared hell, they would become a christian. But Christianity isn't the only hell-fearing religion, so they could become muslim instead.

Christianity is Not a hell-fearing religion, but apostate Christendom is.
After the 1st-century ended began a mixing or a fusing of non-biblical teachings with Scripture.
That is why we are forewarned at Acts of the Apostles 20:29-30 to be aware of false clergy/ false shepherds.
They put the 'flames of fire' (pain) in biblical hell as a scare tactic to try to control the flock of God.
The Bible's hell is simply the stone-cold temporary grave for the sleeping dead.
That is why Jesus taught 'sleep in death ' at John 11:11-14 which is in harmony with Psalms 115:17; Psalms 146:4 and Ecclesiastes 9:5.
Dead Jesus went to biblical hell the day he died according to Acts of the Apostles 2:27; Psalms 16:10.
If biblical hell was a permanent place then Jesus would still be in biblical hell.
If one fears ' destruction ' then I suppose one could say Christianity is a destruction-fearing religion.
We are all given two (2) choices according to 2 Peter 3:9 to either ' repent ' or ' perish ' ( be destroyed ).
All the wicked will be ' destroyed forever ' according to Psalms 92:7. ( destroyed as in annihilated ).
So, if we don't want to be destroyed then we need to live by the Golden Rule and by Jesus' New commandment as found at John 13:34-35 to have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
No, God will enlighten them after they die. Then they will have the decision to accept the truth and be with God or reject him.

Or, that God will enlighten ( teach ) them 'after' they are 'resurrected' from being dead.
Resurrected during Jesus' coming 1,000-year rule over Earth when 'enemy death' will be No more according to 1 Corinthians 15:24-26.
That I find is why Acts of the Apostles 24:15 uses the ' future tense ' that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection....

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Some churches have inferred otherwise, however, the Bible does not mince it's words,

John 3:36
& other verses,
All atheists might be facing Hell.
Sorry, but if I have to choose which religious source to believe, then it's gotta be South Park -- so wise, so centered on the obviously true! Which means that Hell exists for everybody who isn't Mormon. God's really into special underwear, I guess.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Sorry, but if I have to choose which religious source to believe, then it's gotta be South Park -- so wise, so centered on the obviously true! Which means that Hell exists for everybody who isn't Mormon. God's really into special underwear, I guess.
I'm just going to ignore the ignorant and juvenile comments about Mormon temple garments and say that Mormonism is one of the few Christian denominations that believe Heaven is plenty big enough for everyone -- atheists included.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
I'm just going to ignore the ignorant and juvenile comments about Mormon temple garments and say that Mormonism is one of the few Christian denominations that believe Heaven is plenty big enough for everyone -- atheists included.

I am curious; if being gay is not an unpardonable sin, that which is the only thing preventing one from entering heaven according to Mormonism, then why the need for conversion therapy?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
And yet Jesus said that the gates of HELL are wide.

Are you calling Jesus a liar?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I accept the rebuke, with humility. I did cross a line, there.

Still, I find all of the very same issues with Mormonism that I find with every other belief system that is based on "revelation." It is, to me, utterly inconceivable that an omnipotent, all-knowing deity would choose to make itself known to all of humanity through a mechanism that is trivially easy to prove must and will fail.

And by the way, my "proof" of that last statement is simply this:
  • An omnipotent, omniscient God wants to be known to all of its creation,
  • It "reveals" itself to one or very few individuals, with instructions to "pass it on" (all revealed religions have this as a feature)
  • The deity's creation (all of humanity) instead winds up with a plethora of different beliefs, frequently hostile and harmful to one another
  • The omnipotent, omniscient God, therefore, has failed utterly -- in which case, it is neither omnipotent nor omniscient

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
And yet Jesus said that the gates of HELL are wide.

Are you calling Jesus a liar?
No, I'm not. My interpretation of the scriptures may be different from yours, but I would never call Jesus a liar, and if that's what you're accusing me of, I have nothing more to say to you.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I am curious; if being gay is not an unpardonable sin, that which is the only thing preventing one from entering heaven according to Mormonism, then why the need for conversion therapy?
Fortunately, the LDS Church stopped using "conversion therapy" a long time ago. At any rate, being gay has never been considered by the Church to be an unpardonable sin.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
Fortunately, the LDS Church stopped using "conversion therapy" a long time ago. At any rate, being gay has never been considered by the Church to be an unpardonable sin.

I know it wasn't considered an unpardonable sin, but I still wonder why they resorted to conversion therapy if the only unpardonable sin was against the holy spirit.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I accept the rebuke, with humility. I did cross a line, there.
No problem.

Still, I find all of the very same issues with Mormonism that I find with every other belief system that is based on "revelation." It is, to me, utterly inconceivable that an omnipotent, all-knowing deity would choose to make itself known to all of humanity through a mechanism that is trivially easy to prove must and will fail.

And by the way, my "proof" of that last statement is simply this:
  • An omnipotent, omniscient God wants to be known to all of its creation,
  • It "reveals" itself to one or very few individuals, with instructions to "pass it on" (all revealed religions have this as a feature)
  • I'm with you up to this point.

• The deity's creation (all of humanity) instead winds up with a plethora of different beliefs, frequently hostile and harmful to one another
    [*]The omnipotent, omniscient God, therefore, has failed utterly -- in which case, it is neither omnipotent nor omniscient.
    But I disagree with these last two statements. There will always be individuals who claim to have received revelation from God who actually didn't. There's nothing that can be done about that. I don't see that as meaning that God has failed.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I know it wasn't considered an unpardonable sin, but I still wonder why they resorted to conversion therapy if the only unpardonable sin was against the holy spirit.
They were ignorant of the facts, i.e. that being gay is not a choice. I believe that at the time conversion therapy was being used, those who authorized it sincerely believed homosexuality was something that could be overcome. Fortunately, they've moved beyond that today. They still haven't progressed as far as I hope they will someday, but baby steps are better than nothing.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Of course, and that was the point.You said that if an atheist feared hell, they would become a christian. But Christianity isn't the only hell-fearing religion, so they could become muslim instead.

Great point. I risk Hell from Allah since I disbelieve Allah and reject Muhammed as God's prophet.

I also read much of the Qu'ran for myself, and the Bible, and made a careful conclusion.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It makes no sense that most people find God self-evident and that you will not make a concerted effort to discover what could happen to you for eternity.
Do you think so? That is odd.

You can't reasonably expect me to feel responsible for other people's theism.