• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Architectural Beauty

Sahar

Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque

20091028091028a001.jpg

Sheikh-Zayed-Mosque-Abu-Dahbi.jpg

3345591464c7de034f4eo.jpg

The majestic Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Mosque is probably the most imposing religious and national landmark in Abu Dhabi to date. It is also arguably one of the most important architectural treasures of contemporary UAE society – and one of the most beautiful in the world. It is the largest mosque in the United Arab Emirates and considered within the Top 10 biggest mosques in the world. First considerations to build the Mosque began in the late 1980s and much thought was given to its location and its design over the next decade.
The 22,412 square metre Mosque site is equivalent to around the size of five football fields, and can accommodate 40,960 worshippers.

shaikhMOSQUE7-600x400.jpg

MainSheikhZayedMosque.jpg

svMOSQUE-600x400.jpg

4831d1235311267-sheikh_zayed_grand_mosque_22.jpg

4827d1235311267-sheikh_zayed_grand_mosque_15.jpg

Sheikh Zayed Mosque is seen as a construction to ‘unite the world’, using artisans and materials from countries such as Italy, Germany, Morocco, India, Turkey, Iran, China, Greece and the UAE.
The Mosque’s initial architectural design was Moroccan, but it evolved to include many global features, including exterior walls that are of traditional Turkish design. Natural materials were chosen for its design and construction due to their long-lasting qualities, including marble, stone, gold, semi-precious stones, crystals and ceramics.

Sahar

1590628_12430564728123.jpg

sheikh_zayed_mosque_abu_dhabi_10.jpg

4838d1235311393-sheikh_zayed_grand_mosque_29.jpg

4837d1235311393-sheikh_zayed_grand_mosque_28.jpg

The mosque has achieved three entries into the Guinness Book of World Records with the largest carpet, the biggest chandelier and the largest dome of its kind in the world.
The world’s largest carpet: it covers the floor of the main prayer hall at the Sheikh Zayed Mosque. A 6,000 sq m hand-made Persian carpet, said to be the biggest in the world… 1200 Iranian women spent 2 years weaving the carpet, weighing in at a huge 45 tonnes and created with over 2 billion knots.
The world’s biggest dome: The main dome is also “the biggest” mosque dome in the world, 75 metres high with a 32.2-metre diameter.

4832d1235311267-sheikh_zayed_grand_mosque_23.jpg

4833d1235311267-sheikh_zayed_grand_mosque_24.jpg

4834d1235311393-sheikh_zayed_grand_mosque_25.jpg

4835d1235311393-sheikh_zayed_grand_mosque_26.jpg

Sajdah

Al-Aqsa Is In My Heart.
Wow........that's really amazing....But wouldn't it be better to spend that money on the poor, or education!

Sahar

Wow........that's really amazing....But wouldn't it be better to spend that money on the poor, or education!
Well Sajdah if we talked about the right thing, mosques shouldn't be decorated like this, by gold and semi-precious stones!! Of course, you have a point about the poor. If I were the decision maker, I wouldn't build a mosque like this except after I feed the poor of the world. But if we talked about Abu Dhabi, I think the mosque is used as an architectural and touristic landmark which can put Abu Dhabi on the economic and touristic map more...on the long term, there might be something in return. Also, this mosque fits the architectural wonders in Abu Dhabi and Dubai...we are talking about UAE.

Noone can hide his amazement and appreciation of this artistic masterpiece.

Last edited:

Sahar

yes wow. very dreamy and impressive :) thank you for sharing

Yes, as something in dreams only...
sheikh_zayed_mosque_abu_dhabi_7.jpg

I keep looking at this spot and thinking what if I could sit there and pray...look at the city...that would be a very amazing feeling. It makes me imagine how heaven would be like.

Last edited:

Sahar

I thought of the same thing, and felt that I won't be able to concentrate in prayer...:D
It's like a palace more than a mosque especially that corner. I don't know also why it reminded me of the story of Sulayman pbuh and the Queen of Saba especially' when she entered his palace.

Sajdah

Al-Aqsa Is In My Heart.
It's like a palace more than a mosque especially that corner. I don't know also why it reminded me of the story of Sulayman pbuh and the Queen of Saba especially' when she entered his palace.
Perhaps because we are all amazed at its beauty, as the Queen of saba'!

Sahar

Perhaps because we are all amazed at its beauty, as the Queen of saba'!
I keep thinking if we build things like this, not just the mosque but the other fantastic works and buildings, then how it was like in Sulayman's kingdom pbuh and how it will be like in Paradise...you know...