• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arabic Hidden Word #69 and teaching the Baha'i Faith

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I thought this would be pertinent to teaching here.

O Ye Sons of Spirit!
Ye are My treasury, for in you I have treasured the pearls of My mysteries and the gems of My knowledge. Guard them from the strangers amidst My servants and from the ungodly amongst My people.
, “The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh” , a69

This reminds me of this saying by Christ:

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
, “The Gospel of Matthew - ευαγγέλιο του Ματθαίου” , 7:6

What does it mean to guard these treasuries from the strangers amidst God's servants and the ungodly amongst God's people? Does it just mean to not talk about these treasures to those who will not accept or comprehend them? Christ adds that they will turn again and rend you. Does that mean they will rend your faith? This may mean that when Baha'u'llah says to guard these spiritual treasures that they may not get under your spiritual guard, so to speak, and you may lose your faith. This not only means that the the stranger or the ungodly won't be affected, but that they could corrode your faith. It's similar to the situation with a covenant-breaker, you won't affect them in such a way that they will abide by the covenant, but for some it may affect them deleteriously.

This certainly seems true in Jesus' words. Jesus is saying that those who are animal-like in their nature, not in touch with their spiritual nature, shouldn't be given what is holy or pearls of knowledge, and that they may destroy your faith.

A closer look at Baha'u'llah's words might mean that for instance if you are weak in faith, you shouldn't try to give treasuries or pearls you have to the stranger or the ungodly, because you might lose your faith. I'm reminded of this:

Say: Teach ye the Cause of God, O people of Bahá, for God hath prescribed unto every one the duty of proclaiming His Message, and regardeth it as the most meritorious of all deeds. Such a deed is acceptable only when he that teacheth the Cause is already a firm believer in God, the Supreme Protector, the Gracious, the Almighty.
, “Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh”

He is saying that because those who are not firm in their faith, though I'm not sure being a firm believer in God means being firm in faith, may lose their faith when they try to teach, so it won't do any good. Because your faith is weak in Baha'u'llah, you won't be able to influence anyone, and you may lose you faith. Being a firm believer in God may be in some way equivalent to having faith in Baha'u'llah.