• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AR Woman Nearly Killed By Cop For Obeying Law

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Recording them tends to make them behave better.
Not always. Jon Stewart used to have bits on the Daily Show about cameras and camera evidence failing to curtail bad police behaviours. I've always been anxious to do it over fears it will make things very bad for me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not always. Jon Stewart used to have bits on the Daily Show about cameras and camera evidence failing to curtail bad police behaviours. I've always been anxious to do it over fears it will make things very bad for me.
As I said..."tends to".

Shadow11

Being a cop changes some people when you deal with bad people all day. A friend or use to be was a cop and I remember him telling me "I'm not a racist I hate everyone evenly" which says it all he could not see good in anyone anymore after doing the job so long.He was a nice guy when we were young.

Suave

Simulated character
Recording them tends to make them behave better.
What'd keep a rogue cop from taking my phone away and smashing it up into the street, since he has qualified immunity and the support of his fellow police officers? If crooked cop Bubba were to tell me to pucker up buttercup, what other choice would I have but to comply with his abuse? As long as cops have qualified immunity as well as cops stick up for each other, this is how powerless I am to fight against police abuse. Right?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What'd keep a rogue cop from taking my phone away and smashing it up into the street, since he has qualified immunity and the support of his fellow police officers? If crooked cop Bubba were to tell me to pucker up buttercup, what other choice would I have but to comply with his abuse? As long as cops have qualified immunity as well as cops stick up for each other, this is how powerless I am to fight against police abuse. Right?
That is a risk.
Live streaming & surreptitious recording would be useful.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Being a cop changes some people when you deal with bad people all day. A friend or use to be was a cop and I remember him telling me "I'm not a racist I hate everyone evenly" which says it all he could not see good in anyone anymore after doing the job so long.He was a nice guy when we were young.
Social workers often deal with bad people all day, especially working with kids. That's no excuse. Teachers deal with crappy parents all the time. That's no excuse.
It's bull**** we hold police to pathetically low standards, for lower than most others, and accept the myth their job is more dangerous than it actually is.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Stopped for speeding, she followed exactly the Arkansas
Driver License Study Guide, yet the cop decided to use
the PIT maneuver to cause her to crash.
Government supports the cop, & approved of his actions.
Be careful out there....bad cops are the majority.
Where do you get the silly idea that most cops are bad?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Where do you get the silly idea that most cops are bad?
Not so silly when one considers that the bad cops
are enabled by the good ones who don't interfere
with wrongful acts, & help cover it up.
Also, a vast number of bad interactions reveal that
the entire department is trained to commit crimes,
eg, 1st & 4th Amendment violations.
I'll wager that most bad cops consider themselves
in the good cop group. It's a matter of cop culture,
& ignorance of constitutional rights & applicable laws.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Stopped for speeding, she followed exactly the Arkansas
Driver License Study Guide, yet the cop decided to use
the PIT maneuver to cause her to crash.
Government supports the cop, & approved of his actions.
Be careful out there....bad cops are the majority.
Arkansas State Police settles PIT maneuver lawsuit which injured pregnant woman | KARK

This update was posted on your video. You probably should have included it. While some government officials supported the use of force, others did not. I am not so sure that one can say the "government supported the cop and approved of his actions."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Arkansas State Police settles PIT maneuver lawsuit which injured pregnant woman | KARK

This update was posted on your video. You probably should have included it. While some government officials supported the use of force, others did not. I am not so sure that one can say the "government supported the cop and approved of his actions."
I appreciate additional info.
Clearly, not all government entities will approve.
The problem is that so many do. Note also that
this settlement was the result of a civil suit, which
is essentially government getting caught, & forced
to pay.
The dangerous cop remains on duty. No higher up
has caused termination...sounds like a great deal
of official approval.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Not so silly when one considers that the bad cops
are enabled by the good ones who don't interfere
with wrongful acts, & help cover it up.
Also, a vast number of bad interactions reveal that
the entire department is trained to commit crimes,
eg, 1st & 4th Amendment violations.
I'll wager that most bad cops consider themselves
in the good cop group. It's a matter of cop culture,
& ignorance of constitutional rights & applicable laws.
So you can say that about any group of people. You can pick out the ones with faults and focus on them instead of focusing on all the good things that law enforcement does.
It's all perspective.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So you can say that about any group of people. You can pick out the ones with faults and focus on them instead of focusing on all the good things that law enforcement does.
It's all perspective.
A cop can be a bad cop if 9 out of 10 actions are good,
but that tenth one violates someone's rights, or enables
other cops to do so. When entire departments have
training & a culture of such violations, it makes them all
"bad cops".