• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Applying Turmeric on Door Threshold

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I noted a practice awhile back of decorating the door(specifically, the threshold) with turmeric and sometimes kumkum to keep all kinds of 'yuckies' away(both in microscopic form, and to turn away the negative energy of others).

Does anyone here have any more information about this practice?

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I noted a practice awhile back of decorating the door(specifically, the threshold) with turmeric and sometimes kumkum to keep all kinds of 'yuckies' away(both in microscopic form, and to turn away the negative energy of others).

If you would youtube on this topic, you might find the precise videos that carry information on this practice (and related ones). Because I have come across such videos in the past.

Also they light some lamps on specific days (I think Thursdays) having applied such turmeric to the main doorway and decorated the outside of the house with nice 'kolams', and these lamps are typically placed by the main door on the outside of the house called 'Kubera lamps'. although this is not what you are looking for, there is a chance an explanation for the said practice can be obtained from these videos.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
If you would youtube on this topic, you might find the precise videos that carry information on this practice (and related ones). Because I have come across such videos in the past.

Also they light some lamps on specific days (I think Thursdays) having applied such turmeric to the main doorway and decorated the outside of the house with nice 'kolams', and these lamps are typically placed by the main door on the outside of the house called 'Kubera lamps'. although this is not what you are looking for, there is a chance an explanation for the said practice can be obtained from these videos.

Thanks for the information!

I did see a few videos on it; unfortunately none were in English(and sadly, its the only language I can speak. :( ) I'll check again with adding 'Kubera lamp', and see if it adds any more.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member

Haridra (Sanskrit) or Haldi (Hindi) , turmeric (English) and kumkum (vermillion) are said to be auspicious and drive away negative energy.

It is associated with puja of devas and the Devi -- haridra-kumkum is applied to Devi and to all deities on their forehead during puja.

People have swastik on either sides of the front door as shubha (auspicious) to only bring in the auspicious (swastika when rotating clockwise represents the kAla chakra - the wheel of time).
The swastik is red and if it is a rangoli made in the form of swastik, you will see it is sprinkled with kumkum and haridra(haldi).

Haridra - Haldi - turmeric is germicidal, protective, and has tremendous health benefits , also used to heal wounds. We see turmeric has become a health product nowadays in other cultures - something that is a natural part of the Indian day-to-day diet.

The concept behind Rangoli - dry or kolam in South India - wet, is the same.
Ideal rangoli is in the standard format and it is called "Saraswati" or represents yantra of Saraswati. You may have seen "join the dots" rangoli - patterns formed by joining equidistant dots - that is the traditional rangoli and is supposed to bring positivity and auspiciousness, knowledge, arts, expression... Again this Saraswati yantra pattern is not left white , it is sprinkled with haldi kumkumm and now with various vibrant colors.

Back to haridra-kumkum --
It is tradition for married women to apply a dot of haldi and kumkum each to each other. Guests are given farewell by applying haldi-kumkum to their foreheads (even if the lady is already wearing a kumkum dot).
In some parts of India -- there is a tradition to invite married women in the neighborhood and offer them a cool mango drink , some other foods, and haldi-kumkum applied on forehead. Then they get some token gift as they leave. This is mostly cultural - to set up a social framework for the women to mingle. It is seasonal , and called "Chaitra haldi-kunku", "ShrAvaN haldi-kunku" etc. the fun season for ladies to socialize with divinity in the center.

Why Chaitra and ShrAvaN? Coincidentally these are the months in which NavarAtra festival arrives.

Attachments

• saraswatiyantra.jpg
    saraswatiyantra.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Haldi (turmeric) and kumkum are said to be auspicious and drive away negative energy.

It is associated with puja of devas and the Devi -- haldi-kumkum is applied to Devi and to all deities on their forehead during puja.

People have swastik on either sides of the front door as shubha (auspicious) to only bring in the auspicious (swastika when rotating clockwise represents the kAla chakra - the wheel of time).
The swastik is red and if it is a rangoli made in the form of swastik, you will see it is sprinkled with kumkum and haldi.

Haldi - turmeric is germicidal, protective, and has tremendous health benefits , also used to heal wounds. We see turmeric has become a health product nowadays in other cultures - something that is a natural part of the Indian day-to-day diet.

The concept behind Rangoli - dry or kolam in South India - wet, is the same.
Ideal rangoli is in the standard format and it is called "Saraswati" or represents yantra of Saraswati. You may have seen "join the dots" rangoli - patterns formed by joining equidistant dots - that is the traditional rangoli and is supposed to bring positivity and auspiciousness, knowledge, arts, expression... Again this Saraswati yantra pattern is not left white , it is sprinkled with haldi kumkumm and now with various vibrant colors.

Back to haldi-kumkum --
It is tradition for married women to apply a dot of haldi and kumkum each to each other. Guests are given farewell by applying haldi-kumkum to their foreheads (even if the lady is already wearing a kumkum dot).
In some parts of India -- there is a tradition to invite married women in the neighborhood and offer them a cool mango drink , some other foods, and haldi-kumkum applied on forehead. Then they get some token gift as they leave. This is mostly cultural - to set up a social framework for the women to mingle. It is seasonal , and called "Chaitra haldi-kumklum", "ShrAvaN haldi-kumkum" etc. the fun season for ladies to socialize with divinity in the center.

Why Chaitra and ShrAvaN? Coincidentally these are the months in which NavarAtra festival arrives.

Thank you for all this information, @ameyAtmA ! I appreciate it!

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
You are welcome.

Would also like to add that sprinkling anything with haridra-kumkum is basically worship.
Deities - is direct and straightforward.

Other examples are -- new vAstu. When you move into a new home, that is new vAstu for you - so the automatic thing is to start with haridra-kumkum -- hence it is on doors.

Before beginning to live and cook in a home, the "gruhiNi" sprinkles haridra-kumkum on the stove.
This is an attitude of worship - for new beginnings. New kitchen, new home,

On DashaharA --- people sprinkle a pinch of haldi-kumkum on their vehicles , tools of trade... why? they are tools and the means of living. Since on DashaharA Rama killed Ravana - good destroyed evil, "start with good driving away evil" in the material life.
In today's time -- that would be vehicles, laptops, hammers, equipment in smaller factories, anything that qualifies as "tools of trade"

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
You are welcome.

Would also like to add that sprinkling anything with haridra-kumkum is basically worship.
Deities - is direct and straightforward.

Other examples are -- new vAstu. When you move into a new home, that is new vAstu for you - so the automatic thing is to start with haridra-kumkum -- hence it is on doors.

Before beginning to live and cook in a home, the "gruhiNi" sprinkles haridra-kumkum on the stove.
This is an attitude of worship - for new beginnings. New kitchen, new home,

On DashaharA --- people sprinkle a pinch of haldi-kumkum on their vehicles , tools of trade... why? they are tools and the means of living. Since on DashaharA Rama killed Ravana - good destroyed evil, "start with good driving away evil" in the material life.
In today's time -- that would be vehicles, laptops, hammers, equipment in smaller factories, anything that qualifies as "tools of trade"

Wow! I had no idea it could be done to so many things!