• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Appellate court rules, “In God we trust” is ok

sealchan

Yeah, I've arrived at that point as well. Country no longer matters any more than county or continent. Think globally, act locally, and ignore all divisions in between. I care about my community and neighbors more than other people and places, and all people outside of my world are considered equal.

I would argue that, ironically, this is an attitude given birth by the United States. But all things grow and mature out of the forms in which they initially are born. Patriotism when the U.S. was young was all about escape from tyranny. Now, for many who are conservatives, they are attempting to preserve a tyranny of the white and the privileged. But I think that the higher principles of this country will prevail over this last death gasp of xenophobia and we will cooperatively stand in a world that is freer than it has ever been in the past.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The expression "in God we trust" is incompatible with a secular state.
I mean, in my country the word God cannot be present in any governmental building or in any juridic document

web-in-god-we-trust-courtroom-door-jen-gallardo-cc.jpg%3Fw%3D1200
Yeah, but the Christians in your country probably aren't nearly as insecure in their religion as those in America. Over here I've seen grown men cry if they're not reminded they can trust in god.

giphy-1.gif

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What does it matter what's printed on the currency. Who reads it?

Those that agree with you shouldn't mind the American motto being changed to "In Reason And Evidence We Trust, Not Gods" and have that emblazoned across the currency instead.

Patriotism when the U.S. was young was all about escape from tyranny. Now, for many who are conservatives, they are attempting to preserve a tyranny of the white and the privileged.

The latter doesn't sound like patriotism to me, nor does it represent the core American value indicated in the poem at the base of the Statue of Liberty. Patriotism is about love of country, not white nationalism, which is just racism.

I think that the higher principles of this country will prevail over this last death gasp of xenophobia and we will cooperatively stand in a world that is freer than it has ever been in the past.

I hope you're right, but I don't expect to live to see it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If it said "In the FED we trust" people would probably wake up and realize who owns the money. They don't want that to happen.
It wouldn't matter.
Those who care already know.
Those who don't care will continue not caring.

Shaul

Premium Member
The Constitution of Medina specified rights and responsibilities by tribe/religion. And that included the provision that non-Muslims did not need to take part is any religious war.
Of course it wasn’t always followed. Non-Muslims have often been abused and treated as second class citizens in their own countries. Muslims codified using double standards. I don’t think that is anything to brag about.

Shaul

Premium Member
Especially money not backed by a gold standard. The motto should be "In the Federal Reserve We Trust" as the USD has no real value.
And yet the U.S. dollar is the global preferred currency.

QuestioningMind

FTA: “A federal appeals court on Tuesday said printing "In God We Trust" on U.S. currency is constitutional, citing its longstanding use and saying it was not coercive.”

U.S. court rejects atheists' appeal over 'In God We Trust' on money

Truly pathetic. Sadly there are far too many religious folks who have such weak faith that they have to insist we print their motto on our secular currency. Just imagine the apoplectic fit they would have if they were forced to live with In Darwin We Trust on all of their money.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Chintzy trash like that already exists, created to make a quick, easy buck off of yokels.

71zkn4UyOPL._SX466_.jpg
Get a few of those things, they are probably going to become worth millions in a hundred years . ;0)

Anyways wasn't there a minted presidential collection minted years ago?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
The expression "in God we trust" is incompatible with a secular state.
I mean, in my country the word God cannot be present in any governmental building or in any juridic document

Obviously, I am not a fan but since it does apply to the majority in this country it doesn't bother me. Ditto on the pledge of allegiance. Things of this nature are not about me...

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Of course it wasn’t always followed. Non-Muslims have often been abused and treated as second class citizens in their own countries. Muslims codified using double standards. I don’t think that is anything to brag about.
And Muslims are treated as second class citizens in India and other places.

The Medina Constitution by today's standards is utterly backwards. By the standards of that time and place, it was a step forward.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
And yet the U.S. dollar is the global preferred currency.
I remember when my sister was in a relationship with an American soldier living in a NATO base.
Once we went out and he only had dollars with him.
We gave him 10 Euros and he gave us 10 dollars (1 € = 1.24 $ back then)...we still have that bill