• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Appellate court rules, “In God we trust” is ok

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was fortunate to have, long ago, purged myself of patriotism and its toxic offspring nationalism.

Yeah, I've arrived at that point as well. Country no longer matters any more than county or continent. Think globally, act locally, and ignore all divisions in between. I care about my community and neighbors more than other people and places, and all people outside of my world are considered equal.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
When I was in elementary school, teacher led Christian prayer
& Bible stories were constitutional too. This was considered
"longstanding" & "not coercive" too. Things change.

I wonder how the SCOTUS would rule if in Dearborn Michiganistan,
they replaced "In God We Trust" with "Allahu Akbar". Would those
Christian & Jewish justices feel the same way?
Or "Cthulhu, eat us last"?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Perhaps atheists should be exempted from registering for the draft, eh.
If it's the Christians' country, then these wars against godless commies
& Muslims are theirs & theirs alone.
The Constitution of Medina specified rights and responsibilities by tribe/religion. And that included the provision that non-Muslims did not need to take part is any religious war.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Government is having trouble making up its mind about our official religion.
In Michiganistan, you'll find religious oaths in court....it's all about "God".
But if I put "In God We Trust" on my leases or over my office door, this
would be a violation of fair housing laws. (Religious affiliation is a
protected group.)
If we were totally honest here, we'd have "In capitalism we trust", "in government we trust" and so forth on our money and documents.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
But when capitalized, it
refers to the one Homer is whispering to....

We use 'God' too. For each of us it refers to our personal form of God. When I say "thank God!" I'm referring to Vishnu (or Krishna).

GoodbyeDave

I find this sort of protest very childish, as I've said before. What does it matter what's printed on the currency. Who reads it? I've had to go and get my wallet to see exactly what's on my banknotes: no religion. But the coins say
Elizabeth II dei gra. reg. fid. def.
i.e., expanding the abreviations and translating
Elizabeth II, by the grace of god queen, defender of the faith.
I wonder why the British atheists haven't complained. Do they have more sense, do they realise they'd be laughed at, or are they just a bunch of plebs who can't read Latin?

Faithofchristian

FTA: “A federal appeals court on Tuesday said printing "In God We Trust" on U.S. currency is constitutional, citing its longstanding use and saying it was not coercive.”

U.S. court rejects atheists' appeal over 'In God We Trust' on money

We now have a Court System that's going to read the Constitution the way it should have been read and not the way people would want it to read, just to get people's votes.
Before people goes yelling at the Court System, they should yell at those who were there, for not reading the Constitution correctly, had the Court System done this in the first place, then people would know exactly what the Constitution up holds and what it does not up hold.

Faithofchristian

I find this sort of protest very childish, as I've said before. What does it matter what's printed on the currency. Who reads it? I've had to go and get my wallet to see exactly what's on my banknotes: no religion. But the coins say
Elizabeth II dei gra. reg. fid. def.
i.e., expanding the abreviations and translating
Elizabeth II, by the grace of god queen, defender of the faith.
I wonder why the British atheists haven't complained. Do they have more sense, do they realise they'd be laughed at, or are they just a bunch of plebs who can't read Latin?

Maybe why the Atheists haven't complained, would it really have done any good, seeing the Queen is over the Government of Britain.
And she gave the Ok for her name and God to appear on the money.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes absolutely I and many others think the word "God" refers to the same God that Christians, Jews, Muslims and Hindus (supreme lord) worship.
In canine circles, that may be.
But the claim fails with multi-god religions.
Moreover, the Christians (a majority in this country, particularly in
government) who claim we're a Christian country know that it refers
to their god, hence the objection to replacing "God" with "Allah".

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
We now have a Court System that's going to read the Constitution the way it should have been read and not the way people would want it to read, just to get people's votes.

Actually we now are going to have a Supreme Court that reads the Constitution the way big business wants it read and the way fundamentalists want it read, overturning precedents from the founding of the nation on and instituting an extremist radical agenda in a spasm of court legislating outcomes.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If we were totally honest here, we'd have "In capitalism we trust", "in government we trust" and so forth on our money and documents.
That's actually very close to how things started in this country.
The Fugio cent's obverse....
th

And the reverse....
fugio_cent_n003_D_rev.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We use 'God' too. For each of us it refers to our personal form of God. When I say "thank God!" I'm referring to Vishnu (or Krishna).
Oh, I don't like that.
A proper name to refer to each in a pantheon of gods?
No, that will not do.
I want that "g" to be lower case, bub.

Faithofchristian

Actually we now are going to have a Supreme Court that reads the Constitution the way big business wants it read and the way fundamentalists want it read, overturning precedents from the founding of the nation on and instituting an extremist radical agenda in a spasm of court legislating outcomes.

Nope not at all, The Court System read the Constitution correctly.

If you have a complaint then you should take up with those, who did not read the Constitution correctly. Just to appease people to get their votes.

It's been along standing and Constitutional to have ( In God we Trust) on our money.

But now all of sudden, Athists thinks everything should go their way, all because of the pass Court System gave into them, to Appease them, for their votes.

Had the Court System done the right thing, right from the start, Atheists would haved known, but as it is, those who were in office of the Government, only gave to Appease Atheists.for their votes. Now Atheists can't figure out what happened.

Maybe Atheists should complain to those who were in office in Government, for lying to them, just to get their votes.