• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Appeal in Hinduism and Buddhism to help others?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Dear forum,

to what degree is there an appeal in Hinduism and Buddhism to help others? I read a Bhagavad Gita commentary which repeated the argument you can help others only after you have helped yourself first (= are enlightened). I don't find this argument valid, because in my opinion, when in doubt, you can always sit back and say, "I'm not enlightened enough yet."

Some Christians claim that the emphasis on inner attitude in Hinduism and Buddhism would lead to callousness, selfishness, and fatalism, but when I look at the pictures of homeless people in a Christian country like the U.S., I don't find this argument valid either.

I did a little research and came across a Buddhist movement called "Engaged Buddhism."

Engaged Buddhism - Wikipedia

Basically, I find this concept interesting, but cannot assess how representative such an attitude is in Hindu or Buddhist countries.

Thanks for your comments.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hindu groups the world over do a ton of charity. Many groups have charities as part of their teaching. Satya Sai centers, BAPS, ISHA, RSS, VHP, Amma's organization, etc. all do it. The major difference between Hindu groups and western ones in India is that one side wants to tell everyone, and the other just goes about their business. Here's a recent example.

BAPS Covid-19 Medical Services

Besides that, neighbours help neighbours, families help families. Nobody barks about it.

There was a fairly small Buddhist temple in my city that just gave a cool million to the local university, for research, no strings attached.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I would think it would get a bit into the ideas of dharma, and karma yoga.

We all have obligations to help one another. Some are personal, like our family, but others are more abstract, such as our community, region, country, or even the world, depending on how you view your place in things.

One can also find liberation in the performing of selfless action. One can perform their duties as an offering to the divine, or they can serve others by acknowledging the bit of divinity that resides in them.

I remember reading a bit in The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna in which the person that the tale was being told of yelled at a dog who took his bread. But, it wasn't for what you'd think... after the dog took off with his toast, he yelled "Wait! Rama! I haven't buttered that for you yet!" He was incapable of not seeing Rama within everything, including the hungry dog.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Buddhism could not be any further from fatalism. Resignation in the face of future events which are thought to be inevitable is the polar opposite of the gradual path to awakening expounded by the Buddha. What is the point of the guidance offered by the Buddha in the core eightfold path and five precepts if the future is predestined? There would be none.

ajay0

Dear forum,

to what degree is there an appeal in Hinduism and Buddhism to help others? I read a Bhagavad Gita commentary which repeated the argument you can help others only after you have helped yourself first (= are enlightened). I don't find this argument valid, because in my opinion, when in doubt, you can always sit back and say, "I'm not enlightened enough yet."

It is the strong who can help obviously. From such a position they are able to help the weak become stronger. The weak in attempting to help the weak can become weaker and more negative.

The enlightened became so due to meditation, service ( karma yoga) , love and virtous conduct. Janaka initially practiced austerities in solitude which enabled him to be strong enough to conduct his duties as a king precisely as a karma yogi. He was unaffected by all the luxuries and sense-pleasures around him due to his initial austerities to train his mind and body and study of wisdom. He attained enlightenment in this manner.

On the other hand, many tyrant rulers like Nero were corrupted by the wealth and luxury around them and lead egotistic lives seeking pleasure of all kinds forgetting their duties.

There is an emphasis in Hinduism to gain enlightenment , but this does not come at the cost of serving others though. Such service to others is also part of karma yoga as it serves to reduce the ego and undue selfishness and preoccupation with sense-pleasures which act as a barrier to the perception of the Self within, which is the source of all bliss and joy and auspiciousness.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Dear forum,

Some Christians claim that the emphasis on inner attitude in Hinduism and Buddhism would lead to callousness, selfishness, and fatalism, but when I look at the pictures of homeless people in a Christian country like the U.S., I don't find this argument valid either.

I did a little research and came across a Buddhist movement called "Engaged Buddhism."

Basically, I find this concept interesting, but cannot assess how representative such an attitude is in Hindu or Buddhist countries.

You don't need Buddhism or Hinduism in order to help others if you really think about it. ;0]

It's really a personal decision.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Dear forum,

Not sure what commentary you read. Gita directly says that if one does not first give to others before using whatever one has, he is a thief.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Dear forum,

Sirona, many a times the idea to help others hides a selfishness, evangelism, even in case of Buddhists. Except for Hare-Krishnas, Hindus have no such interest. Helping other, giving in charity is a duty and gets you merit points. if you can do that, it is dharma.
I do not know which verse in Gita are you referring to. In Chapter Sixteen (The Divine and Demonic Natures), verse 1-3 say:

"Fearlessness; purification of one’s existence; cultivation of spiritual knowledge; charity; self-control; performance of sacrifice; study of the Vedas; austerity; simplicity; nonviolence; truthfulness; freedom from anger; renunciation; tranquillity; aversion to faultfinding; compassion for all living entities; freedom from covetousness; gentleness; modesty; steady determination; vigor; forgiveness; fortitude; cleanliness; and freedom from envy and from the passion for honor – these transcendental qualities, O son of Bharata, belong to godly men endowed with divine nature."

The dharma of "Vaishyas" (traders and land-owners - those who had money) was to support all other classes who would generally not have money - brahmins, warriors and manual workers. Gandhi's economic policy depended on 'guardianship of the rich'.

"The third principle of Gandhian economic thought, known as trusteeship principle, is that while an individual or group of individuals is free not only to make a decent living through an economic enterprise but also to accumulate, their surplus wealth above what is necessary to meet basic needs and investment, should be held as a trust for the welfare of all, particularly of the poorest and most deprived."
Gandhian economics - Wikipedia

Last edited:

TurkeyOnRye

Dear forum,

The only thing that matters is what appeal is in your own heart to help others.

Having said that, if we want to analyze the commentary, it might be helpful to paste it and its surrounding text here verbatim. The devil is often in the details.

As far as Christian claims about Hinduism and Buddhism leading to callousness etc. are concerned, I see this simply as ignorance. Not all Christians believe this, but I think most fundamentalist Christians believe that it is impossible to be truly compassionate and do God's work without Christ—and Christ alone—as one's spiritual foundation. Regarding homelessness in the US, it might be surprising to know that Christian churches frequently operate or work in concert with homeless shelters and food banks. Many of our hospitals were founded by Christians as well, which is why they are often named after religious figures (for example, St. Joseph Medical Center, Providence Medical Center etc.). This is because most branches of Christianity include service to the less fortunate as fundamental to doing God's work. Aftercall, it really is undeniable what Christ says in this regard. Having said that, there is a strong ethic of self work and classism in the US, so many people are reluctant to help or even acknowledge the homeless. This puts many Christians at odds with their own religious beliefs, so it can be a struggle for some. Part of it is also that it is assumed that homeless people will squander whatever is given to them on drugs and alcohol. Sadly, this is too often the case. Many homeless people struggle with addiction, which is why I never offer homeless people money. Instead, I offer to provide their needs (food, a bus ticket, hygiene items etc.) directly to them.

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
Two points:

1.Before helping,we must expand our consciousness and be aware of life and nature in general.Hinduism/Buddhism offers means to do that.Put your oxygen masks before you put for others.
2.Once you starting seeing your Self in all sentient beings you would take the most sensible action to improve the life of others includes charity or providing a fruitful learning experience.

Something similar explained here:
If the Universe Has the Answers – What Are the Questions? – Atvance Intellect NL
Elon Musk Quote

In Elon Musk’s words, “…if we expand the scope and scale of consciousness, then we are better able to understand what questions to ask”.

I always had an existential crisis, trying to figure out ‘what does it all mean?’ I came to the conclusion that if we can advance the knowledge of the world, if we can expand the scope and scale of consciousness, then, we’re better able to ask the right questions and become more enlightened. That’s the only way to move forward

Last edited: